All these painted bumpers to cause fits

All I see on the roads are Silverados with painted bumpers.  These owners are going to be upset when they finally realize stone chips and rust are normal for painted fronts.  I wonder what GM is going to say or do when 80% of their customers complain.

They won’t do anything. It is a choice that we make. You either like chrome or you don’t. No offense intended to anyone. Even though I am 67 and been driving a truck full time since 1975, I have moved away from chrome on my last 2 trucks. I like the body colored trim and bumpers. If it gets too bad I will wrap it like my 2011.

A7037A82-B714-475B-9BEA-E4DF3FF25629.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bobv07662 said:

I had a painted bumper on the last pickup...ran over 200k miles without rusting. Just wash the salt off, you'll be fine!

Glad you had good luck with it.  My 2013 was a mess after just a couple years.  The dealership replaced and painted with a few extra coats of clear under  warranty once.  Kudos to my dealer.  

Question similar to this topic, 2 days after getting my truck and on the way to work, a piece of plastic flew out of another guys truck as he passed me on the hwy. As luck would have it, that piece of plastic did a boomerang turn in the air and smacked into my chrome bumper which dug some good scrapes into it. I applied wax as soon as I got home but my plan is to put some clear coat touch up on it to prevent rusting, think that will work?

On topic, I also prefer the painted look but I purchased a silver truck so it blends with the chrome very well making it stand out less.

The paint is shit on these trucks, had mine a few months and several chips in the front bumper. Spent countless hrs working on water spots and blemishes in the paint. that said I knew going in this would happen. Figure keeping the paint guy in business. Hate chrome so....

10 hours ago, teyaroch said:

All I see on the roads are Silverados with painted bumpers.  These owners are going to be upset when they finally realize stone chips and rust are normal for painted fronts.  I wonder what GM is going to say or do when 80% of their customers complain.

Not everyone struggles with a fear of rock chips.  My wife's car is 12 years old and my truck is 4.  You'd have difficulty finding a paint chip on either vehicle. (No chrome on her car)  I spent many years living in communities that did not have paved road access and know the scourge of flying rocks.   I also know that rocks and debris will hit you driving on urban highways.  I can't image complaining to a car manufacturer for paint chips caused by airborne rocks.  If a person lives/drives in areas where this is regular problem then aftermarket products can help reduce the damage.

My front bumper is covered in chips but my grill has very little marks from stones and my hood has just a couple of small chips, so that tells me the bumper paint is very thin. I’m going to ask my dealer about warranty painting of my front bumper and if they agree I’ll get it Xpel’ed after the paint cures. 

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

IMO

No tail gating will help reduce stone chips.

:)

Bingo!

Three years on the '16 with painted bumper and no chips at all, one only mark from tapping a pole. Pebbles and rocks follow the laws of projectile motion,. stay at a safe distance and gravity solves the problem. But common sense helps at keeping your distance from the vehicles ahead, don't follow gravel trucks or semis without mud flaps, same goes for semis and especially Jeeps and wide track tires past the fenders with our without mud flaps, never follow a concrete truck because there is always some hung up crap waiting to dislodge and if their tires don't hurl it another car will.

Bug hits, yes plenty of them especially going past farms in the Summer stuck to the bumper and grill, but even their shells are not hard enough to damage the the Jello hard clear coat.

Painted one on the '19 and no worries.