Please help with a towing question

We will be buying a 3500 Silverado HD Diesel here shortly, my question is to those that pull 5th wheel campers. Which works the best, single rear or dually, and does it really make a difference. I'm really looking for some good solid advice on this, thanks. Paul

I have a 2019 DRW that I use for a daily.  Before that I had a series of 2500s.  The DRW will tow better and feel more stable, and that's not really up for debate.  The only downside for me using it as a daily is the turning radius; it needs a lot more room to turn around than a standard bed 2500.  But the turning radius is really more a function of the long bed rather than the extra wheels.   If you are getting a long bed 3500 regardless of whether you go SRW or DRW you might as well get the extra wheels.  

Some people also like to go through the car wash; you usually can't with a DRW.  Which is fine by me because I hand wash all my vehicles and won't pay some someone else to scratch and mar the paint.

And 14.5k seems awfully light for a 41' fiver heading down the road.  Is that loaded, wet and and ready to go weight, or dry weight?  And what is the loaded pin weight?   Usually that size fiver would push the bounds of the axle rating, tire rating, and payload capacity of an SRW truck.  Although the new GM 2020 HDs have really big tow numbers on paper.   

Edited by jjackkrash

That dry and empty, we never travel with water in the tanks. I guess the price point between the two is mute when it's that much money. I more concerned about safety and stability. We've never had a fifth wheel, so this is a new adventure but we've been pulling a travel trailer for almost 20 years. We've see plenty accidents, fortunately never involving us so safety is always #1. Maintenance is nill between the two choices except for tire replacement but the size of it is intimidating I guess. We currently have a 2018 2500 hd Duramax but it has a standard bed so almost the same size but not a long bed and certainly not as wide.

For only towing 2-3 times a year and the fact that you will be daily driving it, I’d go SRW all the way.  Like it was said earlier, the DRW will tow better but I don’t think the gap is wide enough to justify the other 345 days a year it won’t be towing your 5th wheel.

• Like 1

I most certainly appreciate everyone's input. When we travel it's usually across country if that makes a difference and that would be a 2 or 3 week jaunt. I know that the decision lies with me. If there is anyone else out there that tows a fifth wheel and has used either a single one ton or dually I would appreciate there input, thanks everyone.

5 hours ago, Pfc1 said:

That dry and empty, we never travel with water in the tanks. I guess the price point between the two is mute when it's that much money. I more concerned about safety and stability. We've never had a fifth wheel, so this is a new adventure but we've been pulling a travel trailer for almost 20 years. We've see plenty accidents, fortunately never involving us so safety is always #1. Maintenance is nill between the two choices except for tire replacement but the size of it is intimidating I guess. We currently have a 2018 2500 hd Duramax but it has a standard bed so almost the same size but not a long bed and certainly not as wide.

You should pretty much ignore dry weight and base it off gross, or at least 3/4's of the difference towards gross. Dry weights are pretty much fiction.

I tow a 42' fifth wheel. 15k lbs loaded. I have a 2015 2500HD Duramax. Standard bed. It tows really well. No dually needed. That being said, I'm in the market for the new dually just because I really like the idea of dually and I work from home, so the daily driver is not a big issue for me. If I was actually driving daily, I'd stick to the SRW.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

We tow a 41' 16400# fifth wheel 2900 pin weight, been using an '18 2500 with air bags and upgraded tires.

The numbers the dealer or the trailer tag says are crap. Scaleing the rig at the cat scales is the only way to know whats really going on.

I am picking up our new truck today, 2020 3500 single wheel. I don't want the hassle of the fenders sticking out. front of the rear fenders will be rock chipped and messed up within the first year.

JMHO

I currently have a 2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with a 12,300 5th wheel, but my pin weight puts me over on my GVWR by 1,200lbs. The truck tows just fine, but I have ordered a 2020 3500HD SRW Duramax which should give me more than enough cushion with my pin weight.

The pin weight we are looking at for a 5th wheel is the sole reason I went with a 3500 SRW.  It would be close with a 2500 but I'd rather be safe and not be over because then we'd either end up with a 5th wheel we don't really want or over GCWR and chance some nasty tickets while towing.

Wow, thanks for all of your help, a lot of people offering up experience and suggestions and that was exactly what I was looking for. Pretty sure we will go with the dually, I know it will definitely handle our new fiver safely. I'm probably going to order it tomorrow if I have the time. And of course I will be on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive and yes I will post pictures, thanks everyone.