Oil

16 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Where's Amsoil?

All the BS I read about Amsoil on here being the best oil and it's not even on the list.,?

It's never gonna be either. 

The prefer to sell pyramid style with 'testimonial' evidence rather than getting the lab testing done to show they meet the standards.

Edited by redwngr

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Is it possible to beat a horse back to life?

Dexos is a license not a specification! 

A license is a revenue stream.

:lurk:

Casey's Drive Professional Series Full Synthetic is on the list

Red Line, AMSOIL and Schaeffers are not. 

:crackup:

Love that quote!

16 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Here you go, Dexos is a GM licensing fee, that’s all! The pyramid thickens lmao!!

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/178

Sent from Above

From the article: "dexos™ is a specification concocted by General Motors along with a license the auto maker sells to oil manufacturers"

So, it's a specification with a licensing fee.

• Like 1

Even more evidence filed with The Federal Trade Commissioner of how Dexos is falsely misleading consumers, ITS A MARKETING SCAM!

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/16-cfr-parts-239-700-701-702-and-703-request-comments-concerning-interpretations-magnuson-moss/00033-80846.pdf

Sent from Above

Even more evidence filed with The Federal Trade Commissioner of how Dexos is falsely misleading consumers, ITS A MARKETING SCAM!

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/public_comments/16-cfr-parts-239-700-701-702-and-703-request-comments-concerning-interpretations-magnuson-moss/00033-80846.pdf

Sent from Above

Made up by GM

Sent from Above

5 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Based on the FACTS given, GM’s Dexos is nothing more than a misleading marketing scam. Watch this video:

It's not a marketing scam.   It is a specification that GM requires.  No different than any of the other manufactures and the specifications they want for their vehicles.  ie.... SM...; GM dexos1Gen 2 (super-sedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395.   

Actually, the dexos1 Gen2 is a very stout specification.

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 1

I’m claiming that they’re scamming people with their claims that if it’s not Dexos approved then it’s going to void your warranty. Did you read how they warned the consumers to only to use Dexos approved then got in trouble for that so they then GM switched to recommended.

Rather then saying use only 0w20 that’s passed X Y Z tests they’re using scare tactics in order for the consumers to use only Dexos labeled oil so they can make money on top of it too from royalties.

Sent from Above

Valvoline had confrontations with GM as well and decided they’re not going to jump through hoops for GM and pay royalties just to use the “Dexos” label when they even proved they met or passed the testing requirements.

Sent from Above

Why is this so hard? To obtain a license from GM the oil must be tested and meet a some specs'. Some are minimums, some are maximums. That license is the consumers assurance that the oil met those GM specs. Here is the first rub: 

We want to license fresh water so the specs are it must be wet, salt free and have a specific gravity of 1.0. It must be free of turbidity to some level. There are water sources that naturally meet those specs and some that don't. Many that don't can be processed to do so. 

GM would like you to believe that if this water hasn't got their approval and license it WILL NOT meet those specifications. That is a lie. 

Truth is almost any fresh water spring will meet those specs. This license is an assurance but in no way excludes anyone from the ability to meet those specs or for those specs to be already met by a hundred other oils without the license stamp. 

The second rub: Those specs are a pretty low bar if you look at that list of approved oils and yet include many very fine oils. Mud in the water.  

Third rub. Joe Average doesn't have a clue about oil and has no interest in self educating so his easiest path to assurance that his oil is meeting those minimums is to assure it has the licensing logo on the bottle. Joe doesn't like being called out on his ignorance and so via forums endorses the GM doctrine. A deception becomes the truth in the courts of 'public opinion'. 

• Like 1

Y'all do realize y'all got trolled into this conversation yesterday.

EVERYONE is on notice. This gets even the slightest bit out of hand, reports received,  vacations will be handed out

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, txab said:

Y'all do realize y'all got trolled into this conversation yesterday.

EVERYONE is on notice. This gets even the slightest bit out of hand, reports received,  vacations will be handed out

I'm sitting out this one.  But damn I still need a vacation!  2 weeks someplace warm oughta do! :D

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Why is this so hard? To obtain a license from GM the oil must be tested and meet a some specs'. Some are minimums, some are maximums. That license is the consumers assurance that the oil met those GM specs. Here is the first rub: 

We want to license fresh water so the specs are it must be wet, salt free and have a specific gravity of 1.0. It must be free of turbidity to some level. There are water sources that naturally meet those specs and some that don't. Many that don't can be processed to do so. 

GM would like you to believe that if this water hasn't got their approval and license it WILL NOT meet those specifications. That is a lie. 

Truth is almost any fresh water spring will meet those specs. This license is an assurance but in no way excludes anyone from the ability to meet those specs or for those specs to be already met by a hundred other oils without the license stamp. 

The second rub: Those specs are a pretty low bar if you look at that list of approved oils and yet include many very fine oils. Mud in the water.  

Third rub. Joe Average doesn't have a clue about oil and has no interest in self educating so his easiest path to assurance that his oil is meeting those minimums is to assure it has the licensing logo on the bottle. Joe doesn't like being called out on his ignorance and so via forums endorses the GM doctrine. A deception becomes the truth in the courts of 'public opinion'. 

Joe does believe in advertising commercials cause it’s got a well known (for most) automobile race car driver on it so that makes it good enough for them lol!

Sent from Above

I used Mobil 1 when he was in diapers.

The commercial with him and Clint Bowyer is pretty funny if you ask me. But that's not why I use it c'mon man.

I use it because it works and it's cheap at Wallys.

I'm  not keeping my trucks for 10 years or 300,000 miles either so why waste money on the most expensive oil just to get all warm and fuzzy.  

I don't think I ever said anything bad about Amsoil other than the price. I think we all know its good oil.

So is redline, shaffers, and Casey's ?

Here's a list that Amsoil made.

I'm actually surprised it's not on more "lists"

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/parts/g1286/car-motor-oil/