Oil

2020 manual says:

Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic

Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines.
Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil for the 2.7L L4, 4.3L V6 and 6.6L V8 engines. 

6.6 dmax still calling for 15W-40  CK-4 or CJ-4

3.0L dmax calls for DexoxD spec 0W-20

First I've heard of this DexosD spec.

Currently only 2 oils approved to this spec:

ACDelco Light Duty Diesel    General Motors    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0751IA015    Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2    ExxonMobil Oil Corp.    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0752IA015    Global

http://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html

Edited by redwngr

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that most HD pickups are bought and used by commercial entities.  And in that realm, they are going to generally use the same oil that they use for the majority of their gassers.  And in most cases that is going to be 5w30.  I always find it amazing that some folks get so paranoid about towing the line about what the OEM recommends, yet commercial users who do far more work with their vehicles do not lose as much sleep over these things.  And GM doesn't have a fit with them for what they do.

Most commercial diesel heavy truck owners are using 10w30 HDEO as that is the new factory fill and OEM recommended standard for all heavy diesel engines from Cummins, Detroit, Mack, Volvo, International, Paccar, etc.  Even Ford has several 10w30 CK-4 oils on their approved list. I would be willing to bet there area  lot of Dmax engines that also have 10w30 CK-4 in them.  Commercial users don't like stocking a laundry list of motor oils.  I would agree with them that if a 10w30 is good enough for 13-15L engines moving 80,000 lb of truck and cargo in all of N. America, there is nothing special about a little 6.6 Dmax needing a 15w40, so it probably gets the same 10w30 that the bigger diesels in their fleets get.  

For the 6.6 gasser, I would just use the same 5w30 I use in the 6.0 now.  Seems GM realizes that is what is going to happen in the real world anyway so that is what they recommend also.   Even though the L8T 6.6 gasser is the same engine as the L86 except the 6.6 has a longer stroke, cast iron block, and no AFM.  Most everything else is straight out of the 6.2.   That tells me that if I had a 6.2, I would run 5w30 in it also.   Matter of fact, I would probably run 5w30 in any GM pickup truck gas engine.     Keeping things simple generally works out best.

Heck, I don't even stock Dexcool coolant in my inventory.  All my GM vehicles have gotten the same Final Charge ELC no nitrite coolant as all my commercial vehicles have gotten.  It meets the needs of my GM engines and it actually has a  longer recommended fill time..... 8 years as opposed to the Dexcool 5. And even a 1 million mile life cycle as well.  Would never rack up 1 million miles in 8 years in my personal vehicles, so I just stick to the 8 years.   My '98 2500 got the stuff.  My wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS has the stuff in it.  My 2015 2500 is about to get a coolant change with the stuff.  And when it gets around to it, my wife's 2017 Equinox will get the same coolant.   Dexcool is fine, but it is not the only quality coolant around.

Edited by Cowpie

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2019 at 7:45 AM, ApertureX said:

This is a list of all the Dexos1 Gen approved oils directly from GM:

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

Where's Amsoil?

All the BS I read about Amsoil on here being the best oil and it's not even on the list.,?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Where's Amsoil?

All the BS I read about Amsoil on here being the best oil and it's not even on the list.,?

Redline and Schaeffers are not on the list either but are a high quality synthetic.  Why pay GM to be on the list when the product sells it's self and  exceeds the specification. 

Remember that being on the list just means it "meets" the standard. 

Nothing wrong with the oils on the list.  Keep your oil changed out according to the manufacture's recommendations and you will be good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to beat a horse back to life?

Dexos is a license not a specification! 

A license is a revenue stream.

:lurk:

Casey's Drive Professional Series Full Synthetic is on the list

Red Line, AMSOIL and Schaeffers are not. 

:crackup:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

I like kwik trip stuff. Them cheese bread sticks are pretty good and the 4 for a $1 double chocolate cookies that they have sometimes are the freaking best.

They have good donuts too. Glazer's. Mmmmm?

Is it possible to beat a horse back to life?

Dexos is a license not a specification! 

A license is a revenue stream.

default_popcorn.gif

Casey's Drive Professional Series Full Synthetic is on the list

Red Line, AMSOIL and Schaeffers are not. 

default_crackup.gif

Most people go by their wallets and not what makes an oil the best! It’s the additives in the oil that make up the protection and not the name of the manufacturer. Look up what is added to oil that’s actually looked for by Blackstone and other labs when doing oil analysis. There are only a couple oils out there that have the most protective packages added and those two manufacturers are the ones that have proven their packages outlasted all of their competitors and that’s Amsoil and Redline.

If every oil brand had the exact same amount of protection then there would only be no need for oil discussions. Dexos is not a brand, oil companies have to pay royalties in order to put it on their products, look at the test results of new Amsoil and Redline when compared to everyone else, higher protection from start to oil change are the two oils above. No point in further discussing why when the information is out there and ready for your viewing and just because the two mentioned above don’t pay to play doesn’t make them inadequate because your automotive manufacturer doesn’t recommend them. Your automotive manufacturer dislikes them because of the refusal to pay royalties. Oil filters are the same, auto manufacturers only use the products that best keeps you spending money at their dealerships. Common sense would be to turn off your AFM as well as add a catch can due to GM’s screwups, they’ll never admit to it but billion dollar lawsuits say otherwise. Use what you can afford, do it frequently and shouldn’t have a problem but people like me that have owned a lot of commercial use vehicles know that it’s what happens between the oil changes that’s most important, just how much protection is in your oil?

Sent from Above

Where's Amsoil?
All the BS I read about Amsoil on here being the best oil and it's not even on the list.,[emoji38]

Licensed Dexos Oils means GM was paid by ALL these brands in order to receive their approval for MARKETING the “DEXOS” name on their oils.

I’d really stop looking for negatives about Amsoil, there are none.

Sent from Above
  • Haha 1