Drivability of 6.6L gas 2500 vs 6.2L 1500

i have had 3 6.2l 1500's and recently test drove the  2020 6.6l  i did not tow with it, but it is definitely slower than the 6.2 i suspect it also has a lot to do with the weight of the truck itself.
then i drove the new 6.6l duramax with 10 speed.
the first thing i noticed is turbo lag, but once the power kicked in it felt very similar to the 6.2l as for acceleration.

what i am really curious about is the towing. i can't help but think if the 6.6 is more sluggish than the 6.2 unloaded i can only imagine it is even less capable towing. but i could be wrong.
i certainly wouldn't buy one unless they put the 10 speed in it.

Reason you felt that the DMax felt faster than the 6.2 was due to the turbo lag then instant jolt of tremendous torque sucking you back into the seat which was pretty cool. I’ll never own another 2500 unless I’m towing heavy, turning radius was a PITA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

you are right about that,they are much bigger than the 2018 2500 i traded.  i was worried about the same thing as far as the height goes. i only have a 7' header and the onstar fin clears by about 1 1/2- 2"'s.  a fella on this site was nice enough to send me a picture of the clearance so i could confirm it . it is close but makes it.

Edited by jd64
  • Like 1

you are right about that,they are much bigger than the 2018 2500 i traded.  i was worried about the same thing as far as the height goes. i only have a 7' header and the onstar fin clears by about 1 1/2- 2"'s.  a fella on this site was nice enough to send me a picture of the clearance so i could confirm it . it is close but makes it.

Post some pics of your new 2500 truck

14 hours ago, RE1 said:

I definitely don’t NEED a 2500. My biggest problem with the 1500s now is the eco crap that is neutering these trucks. I’m referring to AFM/DFM, start/stop, etc. 

I don’t want my next truck to have any of that so now considering 2500s/250s. 

I don't think that is a good reason to buy a 3/4 ton truck. When the new 19s came out, no aftermarket tuners had a chance to crack the code to modify those settings you don't like. There will be options available to take care of that. Be patient.

Driving a 3/4 ton for a daily would be much less enjoyable. The only reason you would want one is if you tow often and the loads are too much for a 1/2 ton to handle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I don't think that is a good reason to buy a 3/4 ton truck. When the new 19s came out, no aftermarket tuners had a chance to crack the code to modify those settings you don't like. There will be options available to take care of that. Be patient.

Driving a 3/4 ton for a daily would be much less enjoyable. The only reason you would want one is if you tow often and the loads are too much for a 1/2 ton to handle.

I hear you man. I’m not terribly excited to daily drive a 2500 so lots to consider. 

31 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Post some pics of your new 2500 truck

i posted a couple on the other page for 2020 HD picture thread   , it's the blk ltz                   

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/227692-2020-hd-picture-thread/page/2/#comments

For those that seem to think that the HD is going to beat on you, have you driven the new 2020?  I currently have a 2019 TB and a 2020 2500 HD with the 6.6 gas and I can tell very little difference between the two in ride. Had a 2007 HD and there is no comparison between the two on ride quality. My wife uses the HD as a daily driver and I have heard no complaints thus far.

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

• Like 1

I'm contemplating the same thing, moving from a 1500 to a 2500, hate all the AFM/DFM auto stop start nonsense, I'll never tow more than about 8k but I'm still thinking of going 2500 just to have a real truck again.

• Like 1

I’m thinking either that or buy an old dinosaur Tundra TRD Pro before the new model comes out (which will probably have the kind of crap that we’re talking about). 

Edited by RE1

11 hours ago, aseibel said:

I've had a 2500 or 3500 with a Dmax for a daily since 2013 and I love driving them, loaded or unloaded.  I'd have a 2500 with a Dmax over any 1/2 ton as my daily, even if I didn't tow much or not at all.  They are flat out better trucks, feel more substantial, and I love the power/torque curve.  At least in my opinion.  (If we are just talking gassers, I could see preferring a 1/2 ton with a hot rod engine over the workhorse in a gas 2500).  

• Like 1