Drivability of 6.6L gas 2500 vs 6.2L 1500

I’m curious to hear from anyone who is driving a 2020 6.6L gas 2500 now and also has experience behind the wheel of a K2 6.2L 1500. Of course I am aware that the 1500 is more nimble, but want to get your input on how you think they compare/drive/feel. 

I currently own a K2 1500 6.2L and contemplating making next truck a 2500 6.6L gas.

Edited by RE1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I had a 2014 Max tow with the 6.2l then upgraded to a 2016 Denali 2500 6.6l. I will say the 6.2 is a monster, but when it comes to towing, they do not compare. My travel trailer is around 10k lbs and going forward was not an issue, but stopping was. Going to the 2500, stopping was no longer a problem. With the 2500 you do loose some of the plush ride quality of the lighter 1500, so I always tell people who ask that, unless you tow heavy weight, the 1500 is a better choice, for the performance and comfort. I have since upgraded to the 2020 2500 Denali, but I have not towed anything with it yet... Cant wait!

1 hour ago, firedab said:

Well, I had a 2014 Max tow with the 6.2l then upgraded to a 2016 Denali 2500 6.6l. I will say the 6.2 is a monster, but when it comes to towing, they do not compare. My travel trailer is around 10k lbs and going forward was not an issue, but stopping was. Going to the 2500, stopping was no longer a problem. With the 2500 you do loose some of the plush ride quality of the lighter 1500, so I always tell people who ask that, unless you tow heavy weight, the 1500 is a better choice, for the performance and comfort. I have since upgraded to the 2020 2500 Denali, but I have not towed anything with it yet... Cant wait!

Let’s say, hypothetically, both trucks unloaded/not towing (2014 6.2L gas and 2020 6.6L gas) getting on an on ramp, pedal to the firewall, or 50-70 passing on highway. How would you subjectively describe the driving experience? 

What I’m trying to discern is whether the 6.6L gas 2500 truck feels like a dog if one is coming from a 6.2L 1500. Thanks for your input. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 1

My apologies, I did not specify 6.6 diesel, not gas,  and being that they now have a 10 speed trans vs my old 6 speed, that would not be a fair comparison.  My guess though is that the 6.2 will blow it away in drag like performance, especially with the max tow package that has the higher gear rear end. Plus they now have even more gears in the 1500, should be even faster!

17 minutes ago, firedab said:

My apologies, I did not specify 6.6 diesel, not gas,  and being that they now have a 10 speed trans vs my old 6 speed, that would not be a fair comparison.  My guess though is that the 6.2 will blow it away in drag like performance, especially with the max tow package that has the higher gear rear end. Plus they now have even more gears in the 1500, should be even faster!

Thank you. Yeah, I meant the new 6.6L gas motor but I failed to specify in the original post. Fixed it now. 

I think what you have to ask yourself is what are you hauling and how often you haul it. I wouldn’t own an HD truck for the sake of saying I own one. I would much rather be in a 1500, but I pushed ours too the limit a few times and just didn’t want to worry about the safety issues anymore.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kenny_r said:

I think what you have to ask yourself is what are you hauling and how often you haul it. I wouldn’t own an HD truck for the sake of saying I own one. I would much rather be in a 1500, but I pushed ours too the limit a few times and just didn’t want to worry about the safety issues anymore.

I definitely don’t NEED a 2500. My biggest problem with the 1500s now is the eco crap that is neutering these trucks. I’m referring to AFM/DFM, start/stop, etc. 

I don’t want my next truck to have any of that so now considering 2500s/250s. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 1

here is my opinion. i have towed a 10k pound enclosed car trailer since the early 90's. my first truck was a 88 1500. after my first 100 mile trip i sold it and have used 2500's with the largest gas motor available and have never considered a 1500 with any drive train again. i know the trucks have improved greatly since then. but the weight of the tow vehicle and increased stability make for a much more pleasant  trip. 

the new 6.6 gas motor will do a fine job with a 10k trailer. i took my set up to the scales this weekend and my trailer was 9200#'s loaded and ready to go. i have driven plenty of 6.2's at work but never with a trailer behind them. it is a spunky motor and will set you back in the seat but i cant answer how it will pull a grade with a loaded trailer (depending on trailer weight). the salesman and literature say you can pull the weight with a 6.2 but what they dont tell you is how a 1500 compares to a 2500 for safety and stability .  the new 6.6 gas motor can pull a grade on the PA pike in central PA while out passing a truck with no real issue and have great stability and braking. 

you may be surprised how nimble the new 2020 HD'S are once you test drive one. i can pretty much say that you wont be sorry if you decide to buy the HD over the 1500. it's hard to do a comparison of the HD feeling like a dog as compared to the 1500 since the 2500 is a heavier vehicle. if you are towing a 5-6k trailer on a relatively flat terrain and short trips i would probably use a 6.2 and a 1500, but anything heavier and longer trips use a 2500/3500 with the gas or d max depending on the trailer weight /size.     like i said just my opinion from what i have learned over the years.

• Like 2

the GDI is ok and makes power, just have to keep the carbon cleaned out of it. BG chemicals and cleaning process is amazing. we use there systems at the shop with amazing results. many dealerships are now recommending their chemicals also.

My F150 has the ideal solution for the carbon buildup as it has dual injection(port and direct).

It essentially uses port at idle and very low load and swaps to direct injection when making power and under decent load.  The major benefits being smooth idle and clean intake valves.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CNY_AT4 said:

My F150 has the ideal solution for the carbon buildup as it has dual injection(port and direct).

It essentially uses port at idle and very low load and swaps to direct injection when making power and under decent load.  The major benefits being smooth idle and clean intake valves.

The thread is simply about comparing the drivability of a gas 6.2L 1500 GM truck vs a 2020 6.6L gas 2500 GM truck. Let’s stick to the topic. 

We’re not talking about direct injection much less about F150 Ford trucks. Thanks. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have had 3 6.2l 1500's and recently test drove the  2020 6.6l  i did not tow with it, but it is definitely slower than the 6.2 i suspect it also has a lot to do with the weight of the truck itself.

then i drove the new 6.6l duramax with 10 speed.

the first thing i noticed is turbo lag, but once the power kicked in it felt very similar to the 6.2l as for acceleration.

what i am really curious about is the towing. i can't help but think if the 6.6 is more sluggish than the 6.2 unloaded i can only imagine it is even less capable towing. but i could be wrong.

i certainly wouldn't buy one unless they put the 10 speed in it.

• Like 1

Currently and always i will own a 6.2 but not use it for heavy towing. My 2014 5.3 was horrible at towing anything over 5K lbs and yet lacked the balls to go. My 2016 2500 DMax was without a doubt the king in towing but my 6.2 tows great with just the 323 rear end. There’s absolutely no doubt that the 1500 with the 6.2 is very quick and much more zippy to drive than a 2500 BUT when it comes to safety, hands down, the 2500 beats the 1500 in payload and towing.

You forgot that the 2500 doesn’t have the turning radius of the 1500, 2500 rides like a heavy duty truck and WILL beat on you. 1500 is more car like unless of course oh lift it [emoji6].

If you’re going to tow heavy, get the 2500, it’s a no brainer especially with lots more towing abilities.

I don’t tow anything larger than 5K lbs with my 6.2 and it’s for a reason, sudden stops are not applicable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3