Drivability of 6.6L gas 2500 vs 6.2L 1500

23 hours ago, aseibel said:

Obviously anyone who chose to buy an HD wouldn't agree. If you chose an HD, that means you are not in the group I am talking about.

"The rest of us" means those who don't have heavy duty needs - which is the majority of truck owners. I don't think the average pickup truck owner would actually enjoy driving an HD everyday, not to mention filling it with fuel.

I think you will find the 'most truck owners' or 'the rest of us' or 'whatever term you like' don't need a 1/2 tone either. 

Crew cabs and the short box are not because trucks are being used for work -- they are because they are family people movers.

Perhaps 'most truck owners' you are referring to should have should ave a Colorado....? 

Or maybe just a mid size suv.  Many of them have tow packages now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I think you will find the 'most truck owners' or 'the rest of us' or 'whatever term you like' don't need a 1/2 tone either. 

Crew cabs and the short box are not because trucks are being used for work -- they are because they are family people movers.

Perhaps 'most truck owners' you are referring to should have should ave a Colorado....? 

Or maybe just a mid size suv.  Many of them have tow packages now.

Your point is mostly true. But do you use your 3/4 ton crew cab only to work? or do you put people in the back seat?

The majority of all vehicles aren't used to their maximum potential every day. Jeep owners don't drive off-road. Suburban owners don't haul 8 passengers. How many people use 4WD unless its snowing? I only drive my truck a couple days a week. I have a work beater to rack up miles on when I'm alone and not hauling anything. But its nice to have all the truck's capabilities when I want them.

1/2 tons drive similar to an SUV on the road. They the best of all worlds. Heavy duty trucks are in a different weight class. If you never haul over 1900 lbs in the bed or tow more than 8000 lbs, no need for a 3/4 ton. That doesn't mean you can't choose one if you want to ride on heavy springs and pay more for gas.

• Like 1

Here's the thing though, it's really easy to max out the payload on my 1500. One yard of dirt will do it, especially if its wet. 

If you are also towing, its even easier to max out. It may tow the travel trailer just fine but then all of a sudden you are beyond maxed on payload because you also have a load of firewood in the bed, all your gear, and 4-5 people in the truck, and the rear bumper is nearly on the ground. Times like this cause me to wonder why I didn't just get a 2500. I don't daily drive my truck, I use it when I need it, so for me it seems to make sense to have more truck for when I need it. Also, as the OP mentioned, no AFM/DFM/auto-stop-start in the HD trucks is very appealing. Every engine on the T1 1500s has auto stop start. 

Edited by protovack

Not having the AFM nonsense and the need for premium fuel to get the most out of the motor along with a lower price tag for more capability causes me to wonder why anyone would even look at the 1/2 tons anymore.   I have read of several folks who have gotten the new 2020 2500HD 6.6 gasser.  Sticker prices were in the $48K range with out of the door prices around $40K.  That jives with the NADA guide book average sticker and selling prices.  There is no way that one is going to buy a 1500 6.2 with all the max tow stuff for a lower price. And the 1500 with every beefed up option available will not have anywhere near the payload or towing capacity of a base model 2500 6.6L gasser.  

I only use my 2500 when I need to get some work done or tow something.  We have another vehicle for general driving around.  That is why my 2015 2500 now has only 38K miles on it.  It racked up about 15K of those miles the first year and the rest over the following  4 years.  I don't need the new 6.6 2500 so I will hold onto this one for a long time to come.  At the current rate of usage, it will only have about 63K miles on it at the 10 year mark and should be in great shape.  It is garaged when not in use, heated in winter.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 5

Not having the AFM nonsense and the need for premium fuel to get the most out of the motor along with a lower price tag for more capability causes me to wonder why anyone would even look at the 1/2 tons anymore.   I have read of several folks who have gotten the new 2020 2500HD 6.6 gasser.  Sticker prices were in the $48K range with out of the door prices around $40K.  That jives with the NADA guide book average sticker and selling prices.  There is no way that one is going to buy a 1500 6.2 with all the max tow stuff for a lower price. And the 1500 with every beefed up option available will not have anywhere near the payload or towing capacity of a base model 2500 6.6L gasser.  

I only use my 2500 when I need to get some work done or tow something.  We have another vehicle for general driving around.  That is why my 2015 2500 now has only 38K miles on it.  It racked up about 15K of those miles the first year and the rest over the following  4 years.  I don't need the new 6.6 2500 so I will hold onto this one for a long time to come.  At the current rate of usage, it will only have about 63K miles on it at the 10 year mark and should be in great shape.  It is garaged when not in use, heated in winter.

You get a lot of bang for the buck on an hd gasser I believe. There is a new LT 4x4 at my local dealer, fairly loaded, heated power seats, console ect I think it’s listed for like $46k. No way in hell you are getting a similar 1500 for any cheaper.

20 hours ago, protovack said:

Here's the thing though, it's really easy to max out the payload on my 1500. One yard of dirt will do it, especially if its wet. 

10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

1/3 of a yard of dirt can weigh over 1000lbs., depending on the dirt.

That may be true, but why are you guys buying wet dirt?? you can't spread it worth a crap anyway. I'd wait a day or 2 and get it when it dries out. My local landscaper screens it daily, so no need to get it from the packed hard wet pile.

If you need more than 1 yard, a trailer may be in order, or just have it delivered.

30 minutes ago, aseibel said:

That may be true, but why are you guys buying wet dirt?? you can't spread it worth a crap anyway. I'd wait a day or 2 and get it when it dries out. My local landscaper screens it daily, so no need to get it from the packed hard wet pile.

If you need more than 1 yard, a trailer may be in order, or just have it delivered.

I think you're missing their point..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CRApex said:

I think you're missing their point..

I know, just giving them crap. Buying 1 yard of topsoil at a time is also not a consideration I take when purchasing a truck. haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aseibel said:

That may be true, but why are you guys buying wet dirt??

I don't buy wet dirt, just pointing out its heavy.  I can and do haul up to 4 yards of heavy material like 5/8 minus or crushed concrete in my 14k dump trailer behind my HD truck.  You can't do that with a 1/2 ton either.  

• Like 2

The point being, since the gasser 3/4 ton will outperform the 1/2 ton any day of the week and twice on Sunday in every way,  and in most cases be the same or even lower price to purchase, it makes the 3/4 ton the best value per dollar.  The 1/2 tons are way over priced because so much of the market is focused on those and the OEM advertisements give the impression that 1/2 tons can tow a rail Locomotive or a Boeing 747 and can carry a 10,000 lb cargo container and at the same time the entire family, camping gear, and 5 pets.  Yet in reality, time after time I see it on Truck forums, RV forums, rural living forums, etc where someone is always wondering if their 1/2 ton can haul or tow something.   And as a commercial driver who covers an average 135,000 miles a year, I see a considerable number of 1/2 tons that have been taken too far in towing and hauling capability and are piled up along the road compared to 3/4 ton and 1 tons.  From a practical standpoint, the 1/2 tons, irregardless of brand, are close to being one of the top consumer ripoffs today.   Now, if the MSRP pricing was at least $10K less across the entire lineup, then that observation would be hyperbole.

• Like 2

The point being, since the gasser 3/4 ton will outperform the 1/2 ton any day of the week and twice on Sunday in every way,  and in most cases be the same or even lower price to purchase, it makes the 3/4 ton the best value per dollar.  The 1/2 tons are way over priced because so much of the market is focused on those and the OEM advertisements give the impression that 1/2 tons can tow a rail Locomotive or a Boeing 747 and can carry a 10,000 lb cargo container and at the same time the entire family, camping gear, and 5 pets.  Yet in reality, time after time I see it on Truck forums, RV forums, rural living forums, etc where someone is always wondering if their 1/2 ton can haul or tow something.   And as a commercial driver who covers an average 135,000 miles a year, I see a considerable number of 1/2 tons that have been taken too far in towing and hauling capability and are piled up along the road compared to 3/4 ton and 1 tons.  From a practical standpoint, the 1/2 tons, irregardless of brand, are close to being one of the top consumer ripoffs today.   Now, if the MSRP pricing was at least $10K less across the entire lineup, then that observation would be hyperbole.

More like 15K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I wanted a 3/4 ton. GM rarely, if ever, discounts them. At all. I picked up a new 1/2 ton Sierra 6.2, one step down from a Denali. Auto headlights, a/c seats, tow mirrors, the works. LOADED with a sticker of $59k, out the door for $45k. For all you claiming that a 3/4 is the same price, find me a 3/4 ton similarly equipped for anywhere near that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, green02crew said:

I wanted a 3/4 ton. GM rarely, if ever, discounts them. 

I got more than $10k off sticker on my last 4 GM HD trucks, 3 of them 3/4 tons.  You have to time the incentives and they don't usually advertise the incentives.  If you have a relationship with a good dealer they call when the incentives hit.  

Here's a nicely equipped 3/4 ton SLT for $49k (this dealer posts the real price, but I can always get similar deals locally with a phone call).

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-GMC-Sierra_2500HD-Crew_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SLT-Collinsville-IL/3502656533