3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

4 hours ago, Raylon said:

Alright guys, I have the chance to pick up a Diesel Off Road Package LT 2021 for about $42k this weekend. It's only $2600 more than the equivalent Gasser with the 8 speed. Any reason to not go with the diesel? Seems like a no brainer after doing a little research. I perused these 36 pages and didn't really find anything saying for sure don't get one.

Buy it and dont look back.

Only thing.. shocks suck.  You'll be bouncing around like a jackrabbit up front.  I'm looking for some 5100's but they're out of stock.  I put bags in the back for when I pull my travel trailer.  If yours has the 3.73 gears, you'll have about 24mpg hwy @ 75mph.  The 3.23 gear option will give you better gas mileage.   I have the 3.73's and love the truck.   Good deal.  You're saving a few thousand vs what I paid.

Hello everybody,

In the market for a new vehicle and there’s a killer deal on a new 2020 3.0 Duramax locally. Don’t know very much about diesel which is why I’m hesitant and there’s not a comparable V8 for nearly the same price. I won’t tow but drive on average 17,500 miles a year with most being highway to/from work.  Everything I read says they are meant for towing or long driving on highway. While I don’t think I fit squarely in that category, would anybody be concerned with this engine as a daily driver? I know it’s super new as well so there may not be enough anecdotal evidence for this specific engine. Thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, nwalk4 said:

Hello everybody,

In the market for a new vehicle and there’s a killer deal on a new 2020 3.0 Duramax locally. Don’t know very much about diesel which is why I’m hesitant and there’s not a comparable V8 for nearly the same price. I won’t tow but drive on average 17,500 miles a year with most being highway to/from work.  Everything I read says they are meant for towing or long driving on highway. While I don’t think I fit squarely in that category, would anybody be concerned with this engine as a daily driver? I know it’s super new as well so there may not be enough anecdotal evidence for this specific engine. Thanks for your help.

You'll be shocked at such a big vehicle getting 25+ miles per gallon.

I have a 2017 with the 6.2.  I do tow a tandem 19' enclosed trailer with it, not every day but enough to feel the sting of the reduced fuel economy.  I'd like to know what anyone with the 3.0 are experiencing when towing in terms of handling and fuel economy.  

38 minutes ago, Agriont said:

I have a 2017 with the 6.2.  I do tow a tandem 19' enclosed trailer with it, not every day but enough to feel the sting of the reduced fuel economy.  I'd like to know what anyone with the 3.0 are experiencing when towing in terms of handling and fuel economy.  

I wish I could tell you what my mpg is with my 3.73s and towing.  When I had my boat I dont remember what my mpg was but overall it was something like 17mpg combined.

I bought a 33' travel trailer that is about 6400#.  Didnt tow it far though from the dealership.  Towing wise it pulls it without issue.  The trailer brake controller is awesome.  Front shocks suck and I bounce around too much.  That'll get replaced as soon as bilstein's are available.  In the rear I have air bag helpers.

27 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I wish I could tell you what my mpg is with my 3.73s and towing.  When I had my boat I dont remember what my mpg was but overall it was something like 17mpg combined.

I bought a 33' travel trailer that is about 6400#.  Didnt tow it far though from the dealership.  Towing wise it pulls it without issue.  The trailer brake controller is awesome.  Front shocks suck and I bounce around too much.  That'll get replaced as soon as bilstein's are available.  In the rear I have air bag helpers.

My issue with my current truck is the gas tank size, the 6.2 does well for the most part but when doing 6k clicks on one trip over a two week period, stopping to fill up is a pita when there aren't many gas stations where I travel for recreation.  It means I have to carry a lot of gas cans.  My truck has the Magneride shocks. 

1 hour ago, Agriont said:

My issue with my current truck is the gas tank size, the 6.2 does well for the most part but when doing 6k clicks on one trip over a two week period, stopping to fill up is a pita when there aren't many gas stations where I travel for recreation.  It means I have to carry a lot of gas cans.  My truck has the Magneride shocks. 

Whats your MPG?  Again, my previous was combined at 17mpg towing a boat.  21' total length with trailer and 3.73 gears.  With 3.23 you'll get better MPG.  Lets say it gets 5mpg better than you get now.  Is it worth the trade in to do that would be the next question. 

The 2020 Silverado 4x4 6.2L has a towing capacity of 9700# (not sure if yours is 9400?).  My 3.0 has a towing capacity of 9300#.   Your truck will take off quicker than mine will though.   I think the 6.2L requires super unleaded(?).  Then you have diesel price which is cheap for me (for now..maybe it goes up in price?).

Not worth the trade for certain but I am curious to how the 3.0l tows and to real life fuel economy.  I think my truck has the same towing rating.  The 6.2l is not a slouch and yes, it is fast.  Fuel economy is exceptional when not towing.   

15 hours ago, Agriont said:

Not worth the trade for certain but I am curious to how the 3.0l tows and to real life fuel economy.  I think my truck has the same towing rating.  The 6.2l is not a slouch and yes, it is fast.  Fuel economy is exceptional when not towing.   

I'm with you, I have a 15 6.2L with Max Tow. The 3.0 has really interested me however I'm not sure I want to settle for less power haha.  I'm sure the 3.0 does well towing up hills etc, however I can't help but think our 6.2s will do it all better, maybe a little higher rpms on certain hills but whatever.  I'm in MI so no mountains.

I keep seeing mixed reports of mpg on the diesel as well.   What actually is the mileage of a 3.23 dmax at 75mph vs 3.73 dmax at 75mph? Seems like whe guys put a level kit and tire on these they mpg takes a harder hit than gasser does.

If the 3.73 dmax got 26-27mpg at 75mph then maybe I'd consider as that is a solid gain over my 6.2.

I just paid my truck off last month though so I've lost a lot of interest in new haha.

6 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

I'm with you, I have a 15 6.2L with Max Tow. The 3.0 has really interested me however I'm not sure I want to settle for less power haha.  I'm sure the 3.0 does well towing up hills etc, however I can't help but think our 6.2s will do it all better, maybe a little higher rpms on certain hills but whatever.  I'm in MI so no mountains.

I keep seeing mixed reports of mpg on the diesel as well.   What actually is the mileage of a 3.23 dmax at 75mph vs 3.73 dmax at 75mph? Seems like whe guys put a level kit and tire on these they mpg takes a harder hit than gasser does.

If the 3.73 dmax got 26-27mpg at 75mph then maybe I'd consider as that is a solid gain over my 6.2.

I just paid my truck off last month though so I've lost a lot of interest in new haha.

I've experienced 23-25 MPG not towing.  I really dislike the gas tank size in my Denali.  It is a limiter for my purpose, especially when fuel use drops to 8 MPG on hills.  I need more range, more capacity without the need to jerrycan gas.  It is a pita. 

I have the magneride suspension.  I use to have a Z71, and miss it for payload and towing.  I wish GM had the option of Z71 on a half ton Denali.  I'd also like a full size bed, 8ft but don't see that happening.

1 hour ago, Agriont said:

I've experienced 23-25 MPG not towing.  I really dislike the gas tank size in my Denali.  It is a limiter for my purpose, especially when fuel use drops to 8 MPG on hills.  I need more range, more capacity without the need to jerrycan gas.  It is a pita. 

I have the magneride suspension.  I use to have a Z71, and miss it for payload and towing.  I wish GM had the option of Z71 on a half ton Denali.  I'd also like a full size bed, 8ft but don't see that happening.

Is that all highway mpg and going 60 mph?