Spare tire for lifted trucks

What is everybody running for spare on lifted trucks with 35s? I read somewhere of guys running a full 35x12.50 in stock location but I’m not sure if that would hang down too far and look weird. I’ve also thought about running a 315/70/17 or 275/65/20, not a 35 but pretty close in a pinch. Just need to figure out a 20” wheel I could run if I go that route 

Edited by TopazBlue6.2

3 hours ago, Jacoby said:

I just run the oem spare. Only time I’m gonna use it is to get me to the tire shop to get a new tire. Not like I’m gonna be putting serious miles on it. 

This is a terrible idea. You can blow up a diff pretty quick like that.

OP, you can try under mounting a 35” equivalent that is narrower that 12.5

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Z2Z said:

This is a terrible idea. You can blow up a diff pretty quick like that.

OP, you can try under mounting a 35” equivalent that is narrower that 12.5

Huh???  That’s bs. You’re not gonna hurt anything. You honestly think every person that’s lifted their trucks and put big wheels and tires on them have gone out and replaced their spare with an identical full size spare?  I’d bet all the money I have at my disposal that 99% of them haven’t.   If you got oversized wheels & tires I bet you haven’t either

Yeah, if it's an open diff, it's definitely no problem, and it shouldn't cause a big enough of difference in wheel speed to activate a G80.

Now, a limited slip probably wouldn't like it, and if you decided to try to lock the g80, the drivetrain probably won't like it either...

I wouldn’t be planning to drive on the spare for very long either but I drive across the country a lot and want to have some built in security if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere. As far as a narrower 35 goes I’ve been looking around for one but haven’t seen a promising size yet

• 1 month later...