Payload

Legally no you don't have much payload, that's the nature of the 2500 trucks.  Capability wise, you can pull just about any trailer you want so long as you make sure your tires, and suspension can handle the task safely.  The 2500 trucks are identical to 3500 as far as axles, engine, and powertrain in a SRW configuration.  The exceptions are overload leafs on the rear, and stock tire load ratings.  

Has always been this way with 2500's.

3500 srw gets a bit more higher payload and tow rating, but the bigger rating jump comes with the 3500drw's. 

Chart for 2019 HD Denali 5th wheel towing:  lb (kg)

TC25743    15400 (6985)
TK25743    13500 (6124)
TC35743    17500 (7938)
TK35743    17200 (7802)
TC35943 w/ SRW    17400 (7893)
TC35943 w/ DRW    23100 (10478)
TK35943 w/ SRW    17000 (7711)
TK35943 w/ DRW    22700 (10297) 

TC= 2wd, TK=4wd. 7=standard box, 9 = longbox, 43 = crew

2020 ratings are higher than above

Edited by redwngr

It amazes me how the curb weight on these trucks has not crept up but grown exponentially over the years and payload capacity has suffered as a result. Whether it's consumer demand or the manufacturers pushing larger cabs and all the bells and whistles, all that extra glass, wiring harnesses and electric motors do add up. As a historical perspective I special ordered a 1984 K20 HD Camper Special with a GCVW of 8600 lbs. Scaled it out at WM scales with both saddle tanks full (40gals) at 5500 lbs so 3100 lbs payload capacity. 3100 lbs. on that old p/u barely got it to sit on the rear overload springs. Used that p/u to haul a 9'3" Conestoga camper with a wet weight of 3500-3600 lbs. plus towing a boat with a tongue weight of around 300 lbs and still had to use a 2" drop hitch. Other than not having a full floating rear axle, that 3/4 ton HD camper special didn't play fair with the 1 tons of the day, 3/4 ton camper special had 3 front leaf springs and quad front shocks compared to the 1 ton's 2 leafs and 2 shock set-up. Course unloaded it didn't play fair with my back either, took around 2000 lbs in the bed to dampen the ride to the point that it might equal that of the worst riding half ton out there.

I would trade the truck in on a 3500.  I doubt you take that much of a bath on the trade.  And lesson learned; look at the door sticker and sticker in the glove box before signing the papers.  The payload is different on every truck.  

As a gratuitous comment, I am not sure why people even look at 2500s when they are looking to tow a 5'er.  The 3500s cost pretty much the same and have more payload necessary to tow 5'ers because of the pin weight.  And at least on the new trucks the unloaded ride on the 3500 is not appreciably different from the 2500s.  They all ride nice.

I love how everyone says, just add air bags. Maybe a compressor and lines also get higher rated tires. Well tell you what people, If you have a accident and the person who was hit / injured will be able to sue the pants off you. I say this if all these parts are added you are aware you exceeded the design  weight limits of the truck. Just because you added bags and higher rated tires make you immediately guilty and the cause of the accident. No person / engineer can change the rated loads on the trucks AND recertify the weight limits.  DOT WILL check the name plate and they WILL check the trailer and find you exceeded the rated weight limits. You may find your auto / truck insurance company drop you and not cover anything from that accident! 

Just plan ahead and get the correct weight designed truck, AND pay for THAT 1 ton. If you get a single rear wheel, you havn't drove in windy conditions and semi passing by at 75 OR had a blow out at 70 mph. Yea its a Bi$(h driving as a daily driver. Man up learn to drive. So we have to park further away from the front door shopping, maybe drop a few pound ( never happened to me).

Chuck

• Like 2

I have a 15 hd high country 6.0 payload is almost 2700lbs. Friends 19 silverado lt hd 6.0, his payload is low 2600. So that makes no sense why i would have a higher payload but i do. Both trucks are 4x4 with standard bed. Thus why i really dont care about the payload number. Difference between 2500 and 3500. Rims, tires, shocks, rear end and leaf springs. Already looked i to what i would need to change rather than upgrade to 3500. On the 3500 there are extra gussets built into housing and axels are different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When I bought my 2018 All Terrain HD I thought I had looked at all the numbers for towing so imagine my shock when I saw the payload max on the sticker on the door jamb of 2125.  Only slightly higher than my 2012 Silverado 1500 with Max Tow.  I had planned on getting a 2021 2500 HD.  Working with the GMC configurator, the AT4 payload in my planned config is about 3450 lbs.  Much better, so likely i will order a 2020 2500 AT4.  But I might go with a 2020 3500 AT4.  The new features are hard to ignore.  Best of luck