How have you improved your ride quality?

I know this is a half ton forum, but I think my HD experience is still relevant.  Drove truck home from dealer and one of my teens actually suggested GM had "upgraded" to a solid front axle in the front.  Umm, no.  Actually stopped and checked rear tire pressure, not surprisingly was at 80 coming off the lot.  Dropped it to 55...and brought the front down to the same, and ride was significantly improved.  Changed factory (non Z71 package) stocks to 5100's at 5k.  This improved handling and comfort on non-ideal road conditions...back roads and the like.  Not talking about off-roading here, talking about 35-45 mph roads that aren't highway cared for.  IMO, my 3500 rides as well as any full size pickup (half ton or HD) I've been in, driver or passenger.  Probably some bias there, and there is probably some metric that can be applied to prove I'm wrong, but I think my perception conveys my satisfaction level with ride improvement via decreased psi and change in shocks.  When the truck gets worked, tires simply get aired up.  I'm sure it could get even better with more expensive improvements, but this was very reasonable $$-wise.  If you value ride quality, definitely pay attention to tire psi, probably not the exact number, but more as a ratio of max load psi of the tire you are running.

Edited by captadamnj

15 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Yeah these trucks ride like crap. I know everyone says it a truck , but its 2019... Tech has come alomg way.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Carrying capacity has come a long way too as these truck can haul and tow much more. It is simple physics, you want to haul heavy weight the springs will be stiffer and ride rougher. People want a nice ride and want coils but then you get a 1k lb payload capacity or a sagging front end with a plow on it. Air springs are a good idea to supplement a set of leafs but on their own are unreliable.

Never understood the ride complaints, trucks these days still ride much better than 30 years ago with more capacity and better handling, these threads are getting old and usually follow 1 of 2 sides. It is either their first truck they bought because everyone else has one and it looks cool and they are coming from a nice riding car/cuv or they add levelling kits, change shocks and bigger aggressive tires usually in an E-load rating and then complain.

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

Carrying capacity has come a long way too as these truck can haul and tow much more. It is simple physics, you want to haul heavy weight the springs will be stiffer and ride rougher. People want a nice ride and want coils but then you get a 1k lb payload capacity or a sagging front end with a plow on it. Air springs are a good idea to supplement a set of leafs but on their own are unreliable.

Never understood the ride complaints, trucks these days still ride much better than 30 years ago with more capacity and better handling, these threads are getting old and usually follow 1 of 2 sides. It is either their first truck they bought because everyone else has one and it looks cool and they are coming from a nice riding car/cuv or they add levelling kits, change shocks and bigger aggressive tires usually in an E-load rating and then complain.

Tyler
I agree. I figure the progressive springs like i posted would/could be the best of both worlds in capacity and comfort.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

good explanation of how different springs work.

3 hours ago, captadamnj said:

Actually stopped and checked rear tire pressure, not surprisingly was at 80 coming off the lot.  Dropped it to 55...and brought the front down to the same, and ride was significantly improved. 

I totally agree. Air pressure makes a very noticeable change in the perceived ride. I try to keep my car about 2 psi over recommended for fuel economy, but it feels different than when the air is low (I have to check frequently because my 15 year old aluminum rims don't seal 100%).

The truck I keep right at 35 psi on OEM 18" wheels. Softer tires with more sidewall absorb the road imperfections better. I've added a leaf in the rear and Timbens on front for plowing. But I like my ride.

When people ride on heavier or over-sized tires with higher pressure, they get a rougher ride to match.

I think its funny when people think that changing the shocks will fix everything. Shocks are only 1 small component in the overall system affecting how your ride feels.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I think its funny when people think that changing the shocks will fix everything. Shocks are only 1 small component in the overall system affecting how your ride feels.

It did fix it a very big problem with the truck though. It always felt like any decent sized bump would bottom out the suspension, it fixed that.

that is THE biggest issue with the oem setup. It was just hysterical how bad it was at going over a big speed bump prior to upgrading to 5100’s.

It’s still way too firm because of the springs, but they surely helped a lot

16 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

It did fix it a very big problem with the truck though. It always felt like any decent sized bump would bottom out the suspension, it fixed that.

that is THE biggest issue with the oem setup. It was just hysterical how bad it was at going over a big speed bump prior to upgrading to 5100’s.

It’s still way too firm because of the springs, but they surely helped a lot

I'm glad it worked for you. Having fun modifying our trucks is the biggest thing we all have in common here.

But here's the funny thing- you have an all-terrain. I have a Z-71. So they both came with the same crappy ranchos, right?

I have increased the stiffness of my suspension with bolt-on parts and still have my OEM shocks, and I enjoy my ride. My wife doesn't complain about the ride in my truck either. The kids ask to ride in it.

So, what's the difference between you and I? Maybe my roads in WI are better, but its probably just our expectations.

2 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Those 5100’s did nothing but hurt your ride. Don’t understand why everyone is so hung up on them

Lol, that’s pretty funny

100’s of people claiming they installed them and they helped a lot

but lets just disregard all of them as naive idiots who think they had their ride improved but in reality it’s all in their head. Sure buddy

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Lol, that’s pretty funny

100’s of people claiming they installed them and they helped a lot

but lets just disregard all of them as naive idiots who think they had their ride improved but in reality it’s all in their head. Sure buddy

I never said they didn’t help....in certain conditions and I certainly didn’t call anybody who has them an idiot. The hundreds of people you speak of (and even Bilstein themselves) will also not deny that the 5100 shock is stiffer than oem, especially when you got it jacked up to gain lift. The OP was looking for a softer ride. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that if you replace a shock with a stiffer shock your ride isnt Going to get cushier 

just think for a second buddy. 

Overall the 5100s are night and day BETTER than OEM.  When the OEM shocks were taken off at 40k miles (Max trailering shocks) all 4 were completely shot, and I am 95% on the road driving.  Yes the 5100s are a bit stiffer, but the handling and cornering is much better.  No more jumping around on potholes in the rear end when cornering or expansion joints.  These shocks are way more forgiving at higher speeds like on the highway and when off roading.  Going slow and they are very stiff.

Lots of good information in this thread.  Gonna continue to tinker around with PSIs and such.

Question in regards to suspension travel... did adding my rear sway bar affect my suspension travel in terms of off roading flex?  I have been in some decent flex positions and haven't had a tire come off the ground yet.  

Question: almost everyone I see post about new shocks, 5100's especially, say something like "it's so much better over speed bumps". How fast are you guys going over speed bumps? I slow down and take it easy, and expect to feel that bump.

And how much time are you spending going over speed bumps that it even matters? To me, how any vehicle handles a speed bump is a function of how fast the driver goes over it and shouldn't be a factor at all in changing shocks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcdavis said:

And how much time are you spending going over speed bumps that it even matters? To me, how any vehicle handles a speed bump is a function of how fast the driver goes over it and shouldn't be a factor at all in changing shocks.

"Speed bumps". Hum, how much time.....Rumbel strips at intersections. Bridge joints. Railroad track. Tar snakes. Washboard road sections (heavy truck traffic). Buried manhole covers. Raised manhole covers. Speed tables. Abrupt  new pavement elevation changes. Construction zones. Warning strips in passing zones and road edges. Broken pavement and black top. Pot holes. "test pavement" :). I live in Illinois. Our state animal it the work zone saw horse. I'd say about 90% of the time. There are 30 mile sections of Ill state highways that are unpassable 'smoothly' at half the speed limit.  

OBTW. Speed, right after spring rate and travel IS the deciding factor in shock valving. ANY change is valving changes the 'speed' where the shock works best. Try off road racing. I've been in buggies at 100 mph on moguls that wouldn't spill my coffee. What do you think the point of a 'tunable shock" is? 

When we first got our RCSB 15 we were traveling the speed limit, 55 mph, and rode over a heavy traffic washboard blacktop lane near an on ramp to I-43. The truck moved EIGHT FEET sideways. No brakes, no throttle NO tires on the ground long enough to do either. Wasn't a thing that would even raise an eyebrow in my Buick. Your suspension should not be the thing that gets you killed driving NORMALLY on a Sunday drive. 

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

"Speed bumps". Hum, how much time.....Rumbel strips at intersections. Bridge joints. Railroad track. Tar snakes. Washboard road sections (heavy truck traffic). Buried manhole covers. Raised manhole covers. Speed tables. Abrupt  new pavement elevation changes. Construction zones. Warning strips in passing zones and road edges. Broken pavement and black top. Pot holes. "test pavement" :). I live in Illinois. Our state animal it the work zone saw horse. I'd say about 90% of the time. There are 30 mile sections of Ill state highways that are unpassable 'smoothly' at half the speed limit.  

OBTW. Speed, right after spring rate and travel IS the deciding factor in shock valving. ANY change is valving changes the 'speed' where the shock works best. Try off road racing. I've been in buggies at 100 mph on moguls that wouldn't spill my coffee. What do you think the point of a 'tunable shock" is? 

When we first got our RCSB 15 we were traveling the speed limit, 55 mph, and rode over a heavy traffic washboard blacktop lane near an on ramp to I-43. The truck moved EIGHT FEET sideways. No brakes, no throttle NO tires on the ground long enough to do either. Wasn't a thing that would even raise an eyebrow in my Buick. Your suspension should not be the thing that gets you killed driving NORMALLY on a Sunday drive. 

I'll give/agree with you on everything except, respectfully, speed bumps. Speed bumps serve only 1 purpose: to make you slow way down. They're basically only in high foot traffic areas (shopping malls, neighborhoods, occasionally office buildings, schools). And that's pretty much my point: I can't see any reason to let speed bumps be a factor in a suspension discussion. When I have hit a speed bump and the truck has reacted badly, I've always blamed my speed and never my suspension as I doubt suspensions are designed around taking a speed bump at speed.

2 hours ago, mcdavis said:

I'll give/agree with you on everything except, respectfully, speed bumps. Speed bumps serve only 1 purpose: to make you slow way down. They're basically only in high foot traffic areas (shopping malls, neighborhoods, occasionally office buildings, schools). And that's pretty much my point: I can't see any reason to let speed bumps be a factor in a suspension discussion. When I have hit a speed bump and the truck has reacted badly, I've always blamed my speed and never my suspension as I doubt suspensions are designed around taking a speed bump at speed.

Ah, different kettle of fish. Misunderstood. Sorry. That would be more like rock crawlers. :) 

• Like 1