Buy 2019 or wait and get a 2020

I have a major hankering for trading in my 2015 CC Silverado Z71 LT with 81,000 miles, leather, and navigation for a new AT4 in Satin Steel. My truck has nothing wrong with it, and I really like it, but those AT4’s speak to me. I recently priced a 2019 AT4 but was not happy with the supposed “deal”. Another local dealer has the truck that I want, but I’m undecided about whether to buy now or wait until the 2020’s come out. What’s the point of buying a 2019 at the price of a 2020? The dealer I talked to mentioned that they have a hard time getting in AT4s. Any advice is appreciated.

Wow.... local dealer here has 91 AT4’s in stock. I think 82 of them are 2020 models and are advertised at over 8,000 off MSRP.  That is not a “get you the door discount”.  You can get more off than that. I have bought 5 trucks from them since 2012 and no one else in this area even comes close to their deals. My salesman tells me they have people fly in from all over the country to buy and drive em home. They are one of the top volume dealers in the country.

https://www.everettbgmc.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Sierra 1500&trim=Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive AT4

39 minutes ago, Country Bumpkin said:

Wow.... local dealer here has 91 AT4’s in stock. I think 82 of them are 2020 models and are advertised at over 8,000 off MSRP.  That is not a “get you the door discount”.  You can get more off than that. I have bought 5 trucks from them since 2012 and no one else in this area even comes close to their deals. My salesman tells me they have people fly in from all over the country to buy and drive em home. They are one of the top volume dealers in the country.

https://www.everettbgmc.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Sierra 1500&trim=Crew Cab Short Box 4-Wheel Drive AT4

This is the current 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 deal at my dealership:

Sunroof, power $995.00

Technology Package $2,305.00

Onyx Black $195.00 Engine,

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 $2,495.00

Wheels, 20" x 9" (50.8 cm x 22.9 cm) machined aluminum with Carbon Grey Metallic accents $895.00

AT4 Premium Package $3,060.00 Driver

Alert Package II $1,095.00

Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System $50.00

AT4 PREMIUM PACKAGE DISCOUNT -$500.00 

MSRP: $65,585

GM Bonus: - $2,000

Dealer Discount: - $2,397

GM Lease Loyalty: - 2,000

Total: $59,188

GM Supplier Discount Total: $55,277.5‬ 

10 speed with a 5.3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good point haha, other than that much difference?

They’re giving me a great deal on my 2014 trade in so might pull the trigger before it depreciates a whole lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

Good point haha, other than that much difference?

They’re giving me a great deal on my 2014 trade in so might pull the trigger before it depreciates a whole lot more.

The depreciation of your used '14 is is lower than the depreciation of a new '20 will be.

so long

j-ten-ner

53 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

Pretty much in the same boat here.

What are some of the advantages of the 2020 over a late 2019 model year build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2020 (depending on trim) have adaptive cruise and the bed cargo camera. These two things I wanted the most.

Adaptive cruise, retuned suspension, bedview camera, SiriusXM 360L, trailer camera provisions now come along with the Tech Package. Also a much lower chance of window leaks and other bugs (although most, if not all, of the early 2019s have been sold long ago)...

Whether it’s worth what I would think is a pretty substantial upcharge...I dunno. I can only say that it’s definitely NOT worth trading my 19 to get those little odds and ends.

With the AT4s, you’re really not going to get much of a better discount as 2019 winds down. These things are hot sellers and GM isn’t incentivizing them much at all. 

Therefore, buy a 2019 or 2020 depending on your wants. If you want a 10 speed with the smaller 5.3L, then get a 2020. Or if you want the other aforementioned, updated features, get a 2020. 

Otherwise, find a 2019 on a lot and work a deal.