Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

 

I recently came across garagejournal while poking around looking at info for building a garage (which I hope to do in the next 2-3 years to start some bigger projects). Boy oh boy are those some opinionated folks over there. While I've got a lot more poking around to do I have been looking at a lot of the reviews for the new HF Icon line of tools, and everything looks real solid about them. I bought a torque wrench to replace my crappy Craftsman one and have been impressed with it's initial quality (time will tell how it holds up).

 

I know HF seemed to have exclusively garbage in the past but seem to have really turned things around in the past few years with many more quality items. I'm curious to know what tool brand you would all recommend. I refuse to spend money on Snap-On/Mac/etc. I just don't use them for a living and can't justify the cost. I've been bitten a few times by Husky and Kobalt (although maybe they have turned around in recent years as well) and Craftsman is pretty much dead to me.

 

I'm not looking for used tools because I don't want to go through the hassle of QCing everything and worrying about where to find X or Y, I'd rather just buy new and preferably from the same spot, but I don't need everything matching, just makes life simpler.

 

Anyway, what are everyones thoughts here? People still live by Craftsman? Snap-On or nothing? What is your recommendation for solid middle of the road tools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of craftsman and some kobalt. Also have a bunch of gear wrench brand sets of tools


Ryan B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the brands are OK for a DIY'r. Mine are mostly Snap On, Mac and OLD Craftsman. Newer Craftsman are not nearly as good as the older ones. A lot of the time you will find that the socket wall on cheaper sockets will be much thicker because of cheaper steel. OK except it creates problems fitting in tight spaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tbarn said:

Most of the brands are OK for a DIY'r. Mine are mostly Snap On, Mac and OLD Craftsman. Newer Craftsman are not nearly as good as the older ones. A lot of the time you will find that the socket wall on cheaper sockets will be much thicker because of cheaper steel. OK except it creates problems fitting in tight spaces.

I've noticed that my Craftsman sockets have started to have a higher chance to round bolts. I wasn't sure why initially but I'm starting to think that the sockets are just cheap which is causing them to extend past the original sizes. I need to get a spec and measure to get a better sense of this but it's partly what started me looking at new tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Craftsman was bought by Snap On.

No more free tool exchange I believe.

I have old Craftsman, Kobalt, Mac and Gear Wrench.

My son is a mechanic and owns over $15 K of Snap On tools.

There is a quality difference with pro tools.

 

Not worth the money IMO for the DIY guy.

Buy cost effective tools and replace when needed.

I had a Kobalt tool fail. My fault.

Took it to the store and they gave me a new one.

 

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craftsman is a Stanley/Black and Decker company. Also own Mac tools.

Edited by tbarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think Craftsman was bought by Snap On.

No more free tool exchange I believe.

I have old Craftsman, Kobalt, Mac and Gear Wrench.

My son is a mechanic and owns over $15 K of Snap On tools.

There is a quality difference with pro tools.

 

Not worth the money IMO for the DIY guy.

Buy cost effective tools and replace when needed.

I had a Kobalt tool fail. My fault.

Took it to the store and they gave me a new one.

 

 

 

You can still exchange broken craftsman tools. Ace hardware, Lowe’s and menards all currently carry craftsman

 

 

Ryan B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

 

You can still exchange broken craftsman tools. Ace hardware, Lowe’s and menards all currently carry craftsman

 

 

Ryan B.

I was told by my local Lowes that you can only exchange Craftsman tools purchased there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started picking up some cordless tools not too long ago...after looking at the Craftsman, Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee, I settled on Milwaukee M12 platform.  Have an impact driver, impact wrench, ratchet, angle drill and some lights in inventory so far.  Went M12 over M18 as I just couldn't justify the added weight and battery cost for mostly hobbyist type work.  Have been very impressed with battery life so far, have never had an issue with a job I couldn't handle.  The M12 3/8 impact handles lug nuts on my HD no problem.  With the hex bit drill bit set, haven't found a need for a regular drill as the combination of the angle drill and the impact driver have done everything I wanted them to do.  All in all, very pleased.  And endless more options out there.  Suspect will add a circular saw and sawzall next, may put the rotary tool on holiday wish list to get myself uncorded from that tool, as well.  So far so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, captadamnj said:

Started picking up some cordless tools not too long ago...after looking at the Craftsman, Dewalt, Makita and Milwaukee, I settled on Milwaukee M12 platform.  Have an impact driver, impact wrench, ratchet, angle drill and some lights in inventory so far.  Went M12 over M18 as I just couldn't justify the added weight and battery cost for mostly hobbyist type work.  Have been very impressed with battery life so far, have never had an issue with a job I couldn't handle.  The M12 3/8 impact handles lug nuts on my HD no problem.  With the hex bit drill bit set, haven't found a need for a regular drill as the combination of the angle drill and the impact driver have done everything I wanted them to do.  All in all, very pleased.  And endless more options out there.  Suspect will add a circular saw and sawzall next, may put the rotary tool on holiday wish list to get myself uncorded from that tool, as well.  So far so good.

I've got the M18, have been pretty impressed with it, although I've noticed that the orbital sander chews through the smaller batteries, but the larger one lasts forever. Pretty happy with the Milwaukee line of tools in the few years I've had them honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.