So I just picked up a preowned 2018 z71 a couple weeks ago..

I noticed they put one of those service stickers dealers/shops put in the upper left corner of the windshield stating when the next time your oil change is due. It said “27,000”. Funny thing is that it had 26,300 on it when I bought it and from the looks of the carfax it had 26,260 on it when they took it in as a trade.

I checked the oil life in the DIC and it said I had 93% left? I’m wondering if the 27k on the sticker was a typo.. because doesn’t the oil life get reset automatically every time the oil is changed?

Oil life is not "automatically" reset. Someone has to do it.

Honestly, a new to me vehicle, I'd change the oil, oil filter sooner rather than later

Edit: Stan beat me to it.  :)

Edited by txab
  • Like 4

I've seen the wrong information put down numerous times on those little reminders on the windshield. I've also seen dealers who never touched the vehicles so I wouldn't assume they had. I'd take a look at the oil on the stick and if it's new oil it should be fairly easy to tell. If I had any doubts I'd change it, cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

my guess is that sticker was placed last time the previous owner had it changed. The dealer you are at didn't notice it.

Here's how to reset from my owners manual. I'd guess yours is the same.

oil.jpg

Edited by aseibel

16 minutes ago, aseibel said:

my guess is that sticker was placed last time the previous owner had it changed. The dealer you are at didn't notice it.

Here's how to reset from my owners manual. I'd guess yours is the same.

oil.jpg

It was one of their stickers, which is what makes it perplexing..

and thanks for the reset info!

On 11/21/2019 at 2:21 PM, mistermcgoo said:

It was one of their stickers, which is what makes it perplexing..

and thanks for the reset info!

Most dealers have a "generic" mileage, say 7500 miles or 20% on the OLM. Especially the ones that offer free oil changes for life, the longer you drive, the less they pay in materials.

Oil life is not "automatically" reset. Someone has to do it.

Honestly, a new to me vehicle, I'd change the oil, oil filter sooner rather than later

Edit: Stan beat me to it.  [emoji4]

I wouldn’t stop there, change transfer case fluids, front and rear Diff fluids, transmission fluid too. Start fresh!

Sent from Above