Just put the wrong oil in.....have a road trip tomorrow. Cancel or let it rip?

People to this day can't seem to figure out something simple.  The L86 6.2 and LT1 Corvete and Camro share long blocks.  The trucks spec 0W20 and the cars spec 5w30 in both wey and dry sump variants. When  I say the same long block I mean part number for part number.  The 4.3 specs 5w30... same afm system.  In fact it's the same afm junk as the previous LS engines that all used 5w30.  0w20 was implemented for fuel economy... that's all.  Do not even worry about it.  

Buddy just traded his 14 off at 85000 miles and it ran its whole life with cheap 5w30 because the engine was quieter... It will life a long happy life with clean oil in it.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

The dealer can"t possibly tell the difference between a "0" and a "5" weight oil.
Dealer tou are right but I have been on both ends of it being sent off to be tested for a warranty claim. Oil is now a black magic of the auto industry. More so with additives and synthetic. MUCH testing goes into this. That said I have seen worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm not doubting your experience but I have never experienced GM asking for an oil sample in 36 years working in a dealer. But I will say that warranty requirements are changing rapidly. And NOT for the tech's or the customer.

• Like 1

I'm not doubting your experience but I have never experienced GM asking for an oil sample in 36 years working in a dealer. But I will say that warranty requirements are changing rapidly. And NOT for the tech's or the customer.
Yeah it suprises me also. They sent out the block to be inspected and the oil to a lab. Said that they want to know weight and how worn out it was. Then told owner it wasn't changed at the proper service intervals. But he had the recipes and then they allowed the warranty. This made me think how many people save recipes and how can one prove the "lab" wrong. Just seems like bs. And owner out thousands. Because they went to dealer believing it is covered then after it is stripped down, warranty denied, they have a bill and a car in pieces.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:46 PM, 1SLOW1500 said:

I agree a little thicker is ok and more so in the warmer states. But I have to think that oil pump will not like this and I know the valve train doesn't.

Then why is it okay for GM to spec 5W30 in the Vette LT1, running the same longblock?

• Like 1

Then why is it okay for GM to spec 5W30 in the Vette LT1, running the same longblock?
I know people like to compare parts and in this case whole engines based on the a part number or engine displacement. But that is not at all comparable. The use of the engine and the power causes more heat and wear. Then because of this and other reasons the tune is night and day different. Even comparing the temperature parameters in the lt1 tune. The fans and the set temp limits change.
Where have been many that simply copy over a camaro tune file to a truck and have issues.
I have seen them testing the engines straight out for hours. Seems more like a oil test then engine test. But also once you start to see the oils break down and oil build up in engine you start to question much of the oil theories. Seems the world is relying heavily one the wonders of synthetic oil now.
In short oil needs to match engine build and motor use. Throw in the ability to tow or realy beat on it and now you need something more. I run different weight and 7quarts then 1quart additives. Heat cycle it, with turbo I get hotter. Then top off the oil to 8qarts.
I will beat big money my engine parts are cleaner then any other same engine with same miles. As I have seen results first hand.
It is just like us changing the trans fluids or oil to amsoil or what ever pros and cons to everything.

Still makes zero difference... the truck engines would be under more stress in a towing situation  than a Corvette on track day.  That's not even an answer or an argument but just more semantics.... 5w30 works just fine and GM did it for fuel economy specs in the trucks... this has been beaten to death over and over and over.. That's it... no black magic and no BS.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

Still makes zero difference... the truck engines would be under more stress in a towing situation  than a Corvette on track day.  That's not even an answer or an argument but just more semantics.... 5w30 works just fine and GM did it for fuel economy specs in the trucks... this has been beaten to death over and over and over.. That's it... no black magic and no BS.
So then why not run 0w20 in the vette. Why read the charts on the temps oil breaks down. Hell why even have oil weight or ratings or synthetic?
Sorry but you are clueless if you believe a 1500 sees more stress towing then a corvette on track day. Have you even seen the tune even in just the trans for even tow mode?Or the data from the two?
Gm have raced the corvettes and built them for abuse and still on track day many issues arise. Take to a top tier performance build and ask if oil matters or if a stock l83,l86,lt1,lt4,ect.... in different platforms,tunes, and trans matter if he says not at all it's the same then you are right.
I will run it buy the head race development guy on tuesday just for good laugh. [emoji38]

So by your logic why run 5w30 in a Corvette or Camaro at all?  Unless being used in an abusive situation there is no need for it in daily driving.  Now don't answer that because yes I know how oil breaks down so no I wouldn't ever use that water pretending to be oil in a car but that ignores the original question.  Again... more semantics and now just some useless personal attack.  You can't explain why 5w30 would cause an issue in a truck because you don't know...   And if you honestly are friends with development engineers how about this... bring an explanation  to the table on why 5w30 will damage the truck engines but magically will not under normal driving in a Camaro or Corvette..  A real one beyond "have you ever even looked at the tune" because yes actually I have. Everyone here will be waiting lol.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

No need to argue.  This was a good, informative thread and Op made his choice. I would have changed the oil to protect my warranty and as a cheap way to ensure my peace of mind.  

Agreed. Lots of good info here, and I'm glad I stirred some discussion.

Warranty isn't much if a concern at this point. Truck has 87.5k miles on it now. Factory warranty is long gone. The aftermarket warranty the dealership threw in for free has already proven to not be worth much more than the paper it's printed on. Supposedly it's got me covered to 150k, but they've already denied a whole laundry list of items that should have been otherwise covered IMO. Couple that with a royally shitty dealership experience every time I go in, and I've resigned myself to doing my own work moving forward on this vehicle.

I drove it the 250ish miles here, and will most likely leave the heavier oil in for the near future. Might change at 3k instead of 5k this time though. I'll report back on how it fares.

Thanks again to all who replies, and for keeping it civil and informational. I appreciate the efforts!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

So then why not run 0w20 in the vette. Why read the charts on the temps oil breaks down. Hell why even have oil weight or ratings or synthetic?
Sorry but you are clueless if you believe a 1500 sees more stress towing then a corvette on track day. Have you even seen the tune even in just the trans for even tow mode?Or the data from the two?
Gm have raced the corvettes and built them for abuse and still on track day many issues arise. Take to a top tier performance build and ask if oil matters or if a stock l83,l86,lt1,lt4,ect.... in different platforms,tunes, and trans matter if he says not at all it's the same then you are right.
I will run it buy the head race development guy on tuesday just for good laugh. emoji38.png

Except GM doesn't recommend 5W30 for track events on the LT1  (Corvette or Camaro).  They recommend 0W40 or 5W40.  They recommend 5W30 for daily use and 0W30 for cold use.  Why spec it differently?  Fuel mileage.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

People to this day can't seem to figure out something simple.  The L86 6.2 and LT1 Corvete and Camro share long blocks.  The trucks spec 0W20 and the cars spec 5w30 in both wey and dry sump variants. When  I say the same long block I mean part number for part number.  The 4.3 specs 5w30... same afm system.  In fact it's the same afm junk as the previous LS engines that all used 5w30.  0w20 was implemented for fuel economy... that's all.  Do not even worry about it.  

Buddy just traded his 14 off at 85000 miles and it ran its whole life with cheap 5w30 because the engine was quieter... It will life a long happy life with clean oil in it.

This right here.

Nothing wrong with 5w30. It’s what I run and will continue to. Grumpy showed you the science showing there is hardly a difference in the weights. 

20 weight in these trucks is merely for fuel economy and nothing else. 

Slow, stick to forced induction and tuning discussions because when it turns to oil talk you’re coming up short pal. 

Just curious as to if you changed it or kept the oil in?   Did you notice any difference?

I would have left it in and just changed it out early. No sense in wasting the oil.  Unless you drained it into clean containers and used it in your lawn equipment.   That would have been another option.