6.2L tuner?

$699 for the unlocked ecm and 8 credits to get tuned directly from HPtuners. At least that's how I read it, but it does seem a little confusing if the 8 credits are actually included or not in that price. I have not reached out to them yet to confirm. You will either have to tune yourself if you know how, or take it to someone at that point. Much better price point then what it used to be

Screenshot_20220118-121021.jpg

Edited by dram1983361

35 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

What exactly are credits??  Why do they charge credits??     Seems like everywhere now a days charges extra 'stupid" fees 

Credits are just the licensing rights. For example it takes 2 credits to unlock a 2001 GM PCM. I don't know why 2 and why not 1 but that is just how they roll I guess. 

Credits just give you access to the thing so you can write to it.

1 hour ago, shakenfake said:

Credits are just the licensing rights. For example it takes 2 credits to unlock a 2001 GM PCM. I don't know why 2 and why not 1 but that is just how they roll I guess. 

Credits just give you access to the thing so you can write to it.

Why not just do a flat core fee??  It's kind a nonsense if you ask me. Pay $699 right on site and then have kinda bogus 8 credits at $49.99 for another $400...

Why not just say, hey $900 or whatever amount total and its programmed......its deceiving! Because all you see up front is the $699

Because you need it licensed to your HPTuners device. I understand what you are trying to say and I agree with you for the most part because it would make things easier but since HPTuners doesn't actually do any tuning they aren't going to program it. Also the credit system was around long before you needed a cracked PCM or TCM to tune stuff.

The credit system is also great for a shop because you could buy a credit to tune one vehicle or even buy the entire vehicle generation to tune it. It is like buying a license for Adobe every time you have a new user in the office. The customer is paying for it anyways with the tune so it is no big deal.

And if you are tuning yourself with HPT then $100 to license your car is not bad.

• Thanks 1

Also the credit amount per vehicle varies so much to cover the R&D costs for them.

They tend to stay higher until the vehicle is old enough to become a flat "credit fee". Also anything after 2017 requires a secure connection to a server to unlock the computer, that adds cost to the license.

20 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Also the credit amount per vehicle varies so much to cover the R&D costs for them.

They tend to stay higher until the vehicle is old enough to become a flat "credit fee". Also anything after 2017 requires a secure connection to a server to unlock the computer, that adds cost to the license.

What do you have to do with the 17's to tune the trans?

If it's a 6L80e, nothing. It can be tuned like a 2014-2016 but the cost to tune it is now 4 credits because of the truck is a 2017+.

If it's an 8L90e, it requires that the TCM be sent in and unlocked, then you pay extra credits to tune that.

21 hours ago, shakenfake said:

@M1ck3ypretty sure you need a cracked tcm and some credits. I can't remember

Thanks, yeah that was my understanding too. Cam had said 2018+ so I was wondering if something had changed recently.

Reading it again... Guess it all depends how interpret, "after" 🤔

Edited by M1ck3y

• 2 months later...

I am still looking for plug and play tuner. Is this still not available? Not finding any post other than this for search results.
I am up in Canada and having difficulty finding a trust worthy shop to do work as indicated as required in previous posts. As much as I would like to increase my horsepower, at this point just having a dependable DFM delete is my primary concern. I travel mostly highway and unless I shift to L continuously-which I forget to do all the time since I usually start out in town, the noise down the highway is unbearable shifting in and out of gears. There is a major chip shortage here and my dealer books only list generic modules for 17 up and told me to let him know what I want to order😒 and I’m sure just trying to make sure that I buy one that is going to suit my purpose. I am running a 21 GMC AT4 6.2 L with Magnaflow true duels and factory intake.

Any advice appreciated. I was leaning toward Diablo or Edge but going bonkers trying to figure it out with just a web 👀 search. 

I'm coming from the mopar world and those Chrysler trucks and cars are not easy to tune, you must have unlocked ecu, I was looking forward to the GM truck but looks like those are not that easy to mess with, really only thing I want to do is unlock the e85 factory tune for my new ordered at4 .

You do not. To tune the TCM you need an unlocked TCM but you can do the ECM just fine.

And yes to the Mopar deal. I have a buddy who has a 2017 Charger 5.7 and he had to buy the unlocked PCM for his Diablo. Planning on giving him an HPTuners tune soon.

Edited by shakenfake