6.2L tuner?

On 11/15/2021 at 5:32 AM, Whipped Trail Boss said:

I have a 2021 6.2L TrailBoss and I have added a 3.0L Whipple Supercharger and ECU unlocked by HP Tuners. All the work and dyno tuning has been done by National Speed Inc. They have been able to squeeze 580whp which is pretty close to 700hp at the crank. My truck will keep up with my 2015 C7 Corvette Stingray. To my knowledge HP Tuners has recently been able to unlock the GM 10spd tcm. My shop has confirmed it and they want to wait until HP Tuners offers more adjustability. Currently there is not much that can be done to the tcm even though it is unlocked. I have only had one problem with this setup. After about 5K miles the pulley and main shaft snapped in half while cruising on the interstate at 75mph. Whipple and National speed obviously fixed it for free as it was all still under warranty. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help. I'm going to attach the dyno report. 

20211115_072859.jpg

How much power did you loose below 3000?

On 12/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, TNTSilverado said:

Here is an article from motor trend for the performance package from GM

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/chevrolet-performance-silverado-intake-and-exhaust/amp/

I gained .3 tenths just adding my Corsa Catback exhaust and S&B intake. 

Motor trend also doesn't know how to operate a dyno :noway:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30990/heres-what-happened-with-motor-trends-controversial-2020-chevy-corvette-dyno-test

One would think they would verify findings before advertising significantly more power at the wheels; then the sae certified power rating at the crank...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Motor trend also doesn't know how to operate a dyno :noway:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30990/heres-what-happened-with-motor-trends-controversial-2020-chevy-corvette-dyno-test

One would think they would verify findings before advertising significantly more power at the wheels; then the sae certified power rating at the crank...

I read that article last year and it was very entertaining!  But everyone can make mistakes!!!  We all are human. It’s the ones who can admit their fault, learn from it, better themselves, and move on that succeed! 

I was just helping the gentleman out by trying to show him that an exhaust and CAI will help these trucks. Especially when it was almost $3k a year ago to tune them. If you look at the article. Look at the stock exhaust and see how even though the flapper is open it still is covering almost 50% of the air flow. When I removed mine my father (who is a retired mechanic) could Not believe that flapper was in their restricting air flow. I know what’s it’s intent is for but it is not good for performance. Try  covering one of your nostrils, only using one side, also not breathing through your mouth, then go for a run!!!  I went to college for track and can tell you it would suck if I had half my airway blocked. 
My truck runs way better now and the acceleration is better. Many have proof and this article proves it as well. It lets the truck fully breathe. 

I am currently still debating whether I will add a tune or not. I just retuned my ECU in my side by side and am really enjoying that. Woke it up a bit along with removing the governor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I read that article last year and it was very entertaining!  But everyone can make mistakes!!!  We all are human. It’s the ones who can admit their fault, learn from it, better themselves, and move on that succeed! 

I was just helping the gentleman out by trying to show him that an exhaust and CAI will help these trucks. Especially when it was almost $3k a year ago to tune them. If you look at the article. Look at the stock exhaust and see how even though the flapper is open it still is covering almost 50% of the air flow. When I removed mine my father (who is a retired mechanic) could Not believe that flapper was in their restricting air flow. I know what’s it’s intent is for but it is not good for performance. Try  covering one of your nostrils, only using one side, also not breathing through your mouth, then go for a run!!!  I went to college for track and can tell you it would suck if I had half my airway blocked. 
My truck runs way better now and the acceleration is better. Many have proof and this article proves it as well. It lets the truck fully breathe. 

I am currently still debating whether I will add a tune or not. I just retuned my ECU in my side by side and am really enjoying that. Woke it up a bit along with removing the governor. 

Absolutely. I think if you want an intake, buy one. But how it performs when you first install it, and how it performs after 100miles may not be the same; unless your tuned. Air intakes and their affect is a lot more complicated then google will tell you.. 

I just ordered a afe intake but there's a 4 month national backorder!

I said I would never buy aftermarket again 😋 The main reason I did was that I need a intake that will fit over a 95mm tb. 

On that note! 95mm is pretty much of 0 benefit in my application. But it's something I've been wanting to do. 

The GM one states you “should”???  I’ve read that some have had check engine lights come on. 

I have the S&B on my High Country and also had it on my Sierra SLT. Love them. Very high quality materials, constructed very well, and look amazing. They do not need recalibrated.  S&B just states to disconnect battery for 2 hours and take off the oil filter life in your menu screen. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, TNTSilverado said:

Here is an article from motor trend for the performance package from GM

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/chevrolet-performance-silverado-intake-and-exhaust/amp/

I gained .3 tenths just adding my Corsa Catback exhaust and S&B intake. 

Thanks I will check it out. I did the rear two resonator deletes and a Rotofab CAI. Not sure if I really noticed a difference since I installed it within the first 500 miles of the truck being new. Truck has about 8k miles on it now and more than anything it feels to have woken up a little after the first oil change… I was thinking of going with a true exhaust system to get rid of the drone I have now. It’s not terrible but definitely not quiet like stock. I’m a guy that wants better sound, as much performance as possible, and little to no drone. By the way it is a 2021 6.2 Denali.

Edited by David Lampkins
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 4:32 AM, Whipped Trail Boss said:

I have a 2021 6.2L TrailBoss and I have added a 3.0L Whipple Supercharger and ECU unlocked by HP Tuners. All the work and dyno tuning has been done by National Speed Inc. They have been able to squeeze 580whp which is pretty close to 700hp at the crank. My truck will keep up with my 2015 C7 Corvette Stingray. To my knowledge HP Tuners has recently been able to unlock the GM 10spd tcm. My shop has confirmed it and they want to wait until HP Tuners offers more adjustability. Currently there is not much that can be done to the tcm even though it is unlocked. I have only had one problem with this setup. After about 5K miles the pulley and main shaft snapped in half while cruising on the interstate at 75mph. Whipple and National speed obviously fixed it for free as it was all still under warranty. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help. I'm going to attach the dyno report. 

20211115_072859.jpg

I am not trying to pry on how much this setup cost just for the heck of it but I am seriously considering a supercharger and supporting mods for my 2021 Denali. Did you only do the supercharger and tune or did you also install a CAI, exhaust, and change the headers? Also, you don’t have to give an exact cost but about how much out the door is it to achieve what you achieved on your truck? Thanks. 

Edited by David Lampkins
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, David Lampkins said:

Thanks I will check it out. I did the rear two resonator deletes and a Rotofab CAI. Not sure if I really noticed a difference since I installed it within the first 500 miles of the truck being new. Truck has about 8k miles on it now and more than anything it feels to have woken up a little after the first oil change… I was thinking of going with a true exhaust system to get rid of the drone I have now. It’s not terrible but definitely not quiet like stock. I’m a guy that wants better sound, as much performance as possible, and little to no drone. By the way it is a 2021 6.2 Denali.

Yes, in my opinion do it right!!  I saved up my side jobs and I do biolife. I only use that money to upgrade my truck. I got my full Corsa CatBack exhaust for $1180 on sale, and the S&B was around $400.  In all I have about $1600 in it and it’s worth every penny. The Corsa is whisper quiet when I travel 80 mph down interstate to my cabin, but very aggressive the moment you step on the gas!  The Borla—-GM Performance Package is very nice also. Many on site have it and state it’s worth the money. 
Good luck with your decision and Merry Christmas!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Cold Air Inductions intake on order for my 2022 LTD Trail Boss (which I hopefully get to pick up this week, if delivered on time to the dealership).  Chose it because it's an easy bolt on using the factory intake box and venting.  So this thread definitely caught my eye.  I figured that the engine would "adjust" to the new air/fuel mixture automatically with all the calculations the new engines do now days.  

Is taking it to a tuner after the install really a big difference?  Anyone know of the dealership would apply the same tune change that they would with their own CAI for a charge or if tune shops are able to deal with it now?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, XstarBrooks said:

Is it still $3k to tune a 2020 6.2L? I’m realizing these posts are from 2019. Thanks for the information. 

Here is a choice 

https://www.diablosport.com/uncategorized/2021-gm-5-3-6-2-gas-truck-tuning-now-available/

or go to HPTuners website. 

Superchips also make a hand held tune. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XstarBrooks said:

Is it still $3k to tune a 2020 6.2L? I’m realizing these posts are from 2019. Thanks for the information. 

The local performance shop here  National Speed told me that they could dyno tune my 2019  6.2 and the total cost would be $1,700.  Sounded low to me and asked if he was sure and he said that is the price.  Maybe they have a deal with HP Tuners, who knows?

• Like 1