Rear Window Defrost Recall

Joe98

Greetings everyone.  I got a call from my selling dealership that the fix is finally in for the rear window  defroster of my 2018 GMC Sierra Denali.  I’ve only had the truck since the end of July of this year.  So, I called to schedule an appointment today and the service writer tells me they need 3 hours for the fix, and that the entire rear window must come out.  Am I missing something here ?  I only thought it had something to do with the brass or copper contacts but thought it could be done without removing the window.  I’m just a little worried that they won’t put it back together properly and I’ll end up with window leaks .  Everything is great now except not having a rear defroster.  Has anyone had the fix done yet ?  Any issues ?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all ? 

• Like 1

I have a 2018 and haven’t heard anything or received a notice. I pulled the fuse months ago. I paid out of pocket to have my rear window tinted. Guessing GM isn’t going to reimburse for replacement window to be tinted.

Thank you sir for your reply.   I did have the two front door and rear door windows tinted, but I think the rear came tinted from the factory?  I’m hoping that they do a decent job and not butcher anything...crossing my fingers ?

• Like 1

obviously the quality of the reinstall is going to depend on the tech(s). 

@STRMTRPR posted in this thread 

that he had the recall done already. He’s probably about the only one so far so he’s probably the guy to ask? 

Hopefully your dealers idea of the fix isn’t replacing yours with a solid window... I’m with you can’t imagine the fix requires removing the window? No wonder GM has been dragging their feet so long on this one....

14 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

I have a 2018 and haven’t heard anything or received a notice. I pulled the fuse months ago. I paid out of pocket to have my rear window tinted. Guessing GM isn’t going to reimburse for replacement window to be tinted.

I think they have to remove the window to access the heat element circuitry below the window. They wont be replacing the glass, so your tint should remain intact when you pick it up unless the recall states to removing window tint which is highly unlikely. Most rear windows are tinted except for the odd WT spec where some people prefer an clear window which is an absolute nightmare for night drivers.  

Well this is the  fix GM has decided to do.

• GM Recall #:
  • N192220470
  • Transport Canada Recall #:
  • Date Issued:
  • Jun 27, 2019

Recall Title:

Power Sliding Rear Window Defroster Failures (Canada Only)

Recall Description:

General Motors has approved a safety recall in Canada for certain 2014-2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a power sliding rear window (RPO A48). In some of these vehicles, areas of high electric resistance on the rear defroster circuit, caused, in part, by mechanical stress from opening and closing the rear power window, intrusion of debris, and use of the rear defroster may, over time, generate heat which could melt the areas surrounding the circuit. In rare instances, this heat could cause a non-propagating fire, increasing the risk of property damage or injury.

Safety Risk Description:

In some of these vehicles, areas of high electric resistance on the rear defroster circuit, caused, in part, by mechanical stress from opening and closing the rear power window, intrusion of debris, and use of the rear defroster may, over time, generate heat which could melt the areas surrounding the circuit.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the buss bar covers and the contact cover, and for certain vehicles, will reprogram the HVAC calibration to disable the rear defroster from automatically turning on at keyed start. Please note that the rear defroster will automatically turn on during remote start or by pushing the manual button and is not affected by this calibration. If the rear window or sliding glass assembly appears damaged due to an occurrence of high electrical resistance on the rear defroster circuit, they will also be replaced.

I have the sliding rear window with defrost, and according to my build sheet, I also have the heated outside mirrors although there are no symbols or wording on the outside mirror glass. I could really care less about having the rear window defrost because I have a topper on the bed anyway.  But I dont want to lose the function of the heated outside window. I am assuming if I pulled the fuse for rear window defrost, I am also going to lose the heated outside mirrors as well. Is that correct?

Edited by mikeyk101

Looks like I found my answer while browsing in the other big thread. Bottom of page 12. It appears that the fuse for the rear window defrost is a separate fuse for the heated outside mirror and both are connected to the defrost switch so the heated mirror function should still work...

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/209824-2017-sierra-denali-rear-window-exploded/?do=findComment&comment=2225041

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zing47 said:

I've never used the rear defrost in any of my trucks so I just pulled the fuse.

I've read somewhere in this forum that some of the guys have deactivated their rear defrost and connected their AM/FM Antenna to the wire on the back window, after they have done the Antenna Delete.

49 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

I have the sliding rear window with defrost, and according to my build sheet, I also have the heated outside mirrors although there are no symbols or wording on the outside mirror glass. I could really care less about having the rear window defrost because I have a topper on the bed anyway.  But I dont want to lose the function of the heated outside window. I am assuming if I pulled the fuse for rear window defrost, I am also going to lose the heated outside mirrors as well. Is that correct?

My truck is built the same way, the mirror defrost/heaters are tied into the rear window.  Believe that there should be an image of your side mirror on the rear defrost button.  Straight out of the OM Page 50.....

image.thumb.png.758e97b7ab53719d0cf3edfd7f18d4a3.png

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, Cjc said:

I go Tuesday 

If possible could you please give us a brief description on what the dealer did and if the whole rear window has to come out?  I had a bad experience with my selling dealership, don’t really wanna go back there ....

Edited by Joe98
Forgot word