Ok, what are you looking for or what is the point of this thread? All manufacturers have thin paint now and have for many years, they switched for multiple reasons; it has been well known and documented for a while. If you have paint on metal that is facing forward it is best to get a clear bra on it or chips will be prevalent...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

Just now, Vickie said:

never been on a dirt or gravel road

Have you ever followed or met another vehicle on an asphalt or concrete road? There is debris on these roads that other vehicles kick up that will chip your paint, this debris does indeed include gravel and other particulates.

18 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Ok, what are you looking for or what is the point of this thread? All manufacturers have thin paint now and have for many years, they switched for multiple reasons; it has been well known and documented for a while. If you have paint on metal that is facing forward it is best to get a clear bra on it or chips will be prevalent...

Tyler

Not exactly sure what the point is you are making when you ask "what is the point of this thread?"  Did this offend you in some way? 

This forum is for people to learn and share.  The OP should not be attacked for asking the question.  I'm glad he did.  Lets me know there are others experiencing the same thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, Vickie said:

The paint seems thin, 2019 bought mid March and already have several chips in paint never been on a dirt or gravel road!

My advice would be for you to look into ceramic coating. I had mine done, and it's doing fantastic to be honest. 

Chips are caused from following too close. You don’t get chips from just driving solo down a dirt road. Leave some more space. If people get in front of you, back off and leave some more. And clear bra protection if you’re really worried about it

On 12/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Who put a bug up your A$$?

Internet sensation.......

Tom

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, Booger T said:

Have you ever followed or met another vehicle on an asphalt or concrete road? There is debris on these roads that other vehicles kick up that will chip your paint, this debris does indeed include gravel and other particulates.

And found out that sometimes you can get chips when vehicle is just sitting minding its own business parked in a mall lot.

You get an education sitting in the car waiting for the wife to finish shopping. And saw first hand where many of the small chips on the side panels originate. Worker walking around in a strip mall parking lot with one of those backpack gas powered blowers"sweeping" all the dust and blasting dirt and small stones against and under parked cars in the lot toward the grass island areas, peppering them with pebbles and other debris.

I agree the paint scratches very easily.  The day I picked my truck up, my freakin bird dog jumped up on the driver's door and scratched it half way down with both paws.  I almost killed her. I have the GMC deep mahogany metallic and the scratches are very noticeable. I know it's a truck, but I'm still not over the newness yet!! I tried buffing them out with the 3m Perfect-it three step process, but still see the scratches.  I think I need to lightly wet sand with finishing paper before buffing. The scratches aren't deep enough to catch a finger nail, so I think I'll be okay.  Do you think the clear coat is thick enough for this?

Also, a 3m clear bra is mandatory, especially for painted front ends!

Edited by Kchampagne

On 12/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Tyler is my favorite poster. He’s like the human version of grumpy cat. Always looking forward to future posts, keep up the good work... haha