Upfitter switches

Just an update to this thread my 2020 showed up at the dealer yesterday  and I asked my salesman about the switches they were installed on my truck as in the pictures Kevin posted will take delivery on tomorrow. I will confirm the info he provided but it seems if you order the upfitter switch's they should be installed at the factory.  

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner45 said:

Just an update to this thread my 2020 showed up at the dealer yesterday  and I asked my salesman about the switches they were installed on my truck as in the pictures Kevin posted will take delivery on tomorrow. I will confirm the info he provided but it seems if you order the upfitter switch's they should be installed at the factory.  

Nice. Can you let us know after you pick it up?

Dealer called this afternoon and claims that I am responsible for the installation of the Upfitter switches.    Guess we have a conflicting senario from dealers about the UF switches.    Do any of them truly understand trucks?   Not at all

Edited by Anthony Greco
Rephrased

I will attempt to get the truth about the matter. 

I was concerned myself as if the factory would install the switches.

The dealer is most likely looking at the RPO codes for this upgrade which states that the parts will be shipped loose for dealership installation, hence my apprehension as to if they would do it during the build. But it seems like GM may have came through and installed them at least on the truck I ordered in August.

Will update further tomorrow when I take delivery.

I can say you learn more from a forum like this than the dealership in most cases. They really are lacking in product knowledge many times 

27 minutes ago, Roadrunner45 said:

I will attempt to get the truth about the matter. 

I was concerned myself as if the factory would install the switches.

The dealer is most likely looking at the RPO codes for this upgrade which states that the parts will be shipped loose for dealership installation, hence my apprehension as to if they would do it during the build. But it seems like GM may have came through and installed them at least on the truck I ordered in August.

Will update further tomorrow when I take delivery.

I can say you learn more from a forum like this than the dealership in most cases. They really are lacking in product knowledge many times 

So true on the dealer knowledge unfortunately. I ordered my upfitter switches a few weeks ago and the parts person I talked to had no idea what upfitter switches even where, or what the difference between the 2019 limited and new body style was all about.  Pretty frustrating actually...

I just bought a 2020 Sierra 2500 HD AT4.

Is there a part number that will let me order the knee bolster, switch assembly and fuse block kit or do I need to order these separately?

Also is the bolster the same part number as the 2019 1500 as in the eBay link?

I would use these switches to power a ham radio or two, maybe some auxiliary lighting and relays to power a air compressor.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest update on the switches. I picked my truck up last night later in the day so this is my first chance to post. The actual 5 aux switches are factory installed on the bolster to the left of the steering column that's the good news. Here's the bad news I had under my back seat another bag of loose parts the numbers are as follows'

Part # 84497098 Instrument panel Aux block.

Part # 84524205 Instrument panel power feed cable.

Part # 84669070  F block kit fuses etc.

And another unidentified as of yet part I believe is related to the snow plow prep most likely the roof beacon but have yet to confirm.

This part number is 84623353

I also had the engine block heater and RV trailer TPMS sensors and the grill winter cover, missing my antenna go figure.

So it look as if GM has left us with some assembly required not to thrilled about that to be honest. Going to have my remote start added at the dealer tomorrow going to complain some and see if they might make it functional for somewhat less then a fortune. It's becoming more difficult to stay brand loyal my buddy has a Ford Super Duty and his Aux switches are plug and play. The whole intent of ordering and option is to use it, not have to be double charged to make it truly functional.

This is the link to the TSB on gm upfitter to complete the install.   https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1314/UI Bulletin 153_wip.pdf

1 hour ago, Roadrunner45 said:

Latest update on the switches. I picked my truck up last night later in the day so this is my first chance to post. The actual 5 aux switches are factory installed on the bolster to the left of the steering column that's the good news. Here's the bad news I had under my back seat another bag of loose parts the numbers are as follows'

And another unidentified as of yet part I believe is related to the snow plow prep most likely the roof beacon but have yet to confirm.

I also had the engine block heater and RV trailer TPMS sensors and the grill winter cover, missing my antenna go figure.

So it look as if GM has left us with some assembly required not to thrilled about that to be honest. Going to have my remote start added at the dealer tomorrow going to complain some and see if they might make it functional for somewhat less then a fortune. It's becoming more difficult to stay brand loyal my buddy has a Ford Super Duty and his Aux switches are plug and play. The whole intent of ordering and option is to use it, not have to be double charged to make it truly functional.

This is the link to the TSB on gm upfitter to complete the install.   https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1314/UI Bulletin 153_wip.pdf

Well that sucks. I'm going to ask the dealer to install it. 60-70K+ and gm can't install them?

3 hours ago, Roadrunner45 said:

Really the knee bolster was the hardest part to install. The rest is fairly easy, plug in, hang the fuse block and run the wire to the battery. I went to the dealer to get the missing battery stud kit today. There are 12 in California, may be awhile with the holidays.

That may be so Kevin. But here's the point most are trying to get across I just retired my 12 year old 2500HD diesel that was causing me to do mechanic work I had no desire to do and spent nearly 60K on this truck and don't really feel as if I especially at my age have to crawl around my very sizable purchase and complete work that should be done on the assembly line on a custom ordered truck. It's not like this was an after thought mind you, I selected an option in the build and paid for it. There is no reason why the factory to use your words couldn't have completed the fairly easy portion of the work scope while it was on the line. It's just a matter of principle. Power the sucker up and make your customers happy, if you have safety concerns about the powered switches leave a fuse out simple.

I'm floored about how little technicians and parts guys know about vehicles..

(I never expect sales or service guys to know anything, so any little sprinkling of insight they have impresses me, lol)

2 hours ago, Roadrunner45 said:

That may be so Kevin. But here's the point most are trying to get across I just retired my 12 year old 2500HD diesel that was causing me to do mechanic work I had no desire to do and spent nearly 60K on this truck and don't really feel as if I especially at my age have to crawl around my very sizable purchase and complete work that should be done on the assembly line on a custom ordered truck. It's not like this was an after thought mind you, I selected an option in the build and paid for it. There is no reason why the factory to use your words couldn't have completed the fairly easy portion of the work scope while it was on the line. It's just a matter of principle. Power the sucker up and make your customers happy, if you have safety concerns about the powered switches leave a fuse out simple.

I totally agree. I could have spent 9 hours elsewhere. Luckily, I did not break any clips or components in the process. I am glad some are getting something more than me installed, but it should be all done if that's what you paid for.

I just received my 2020 AT4 with upfitter switches that I ordered from the factory. On the window sticker it says purchaser responsible for the install. When I asked the salesman if the dealership could install it he said he would ck. Long story short they installed it for me without making a big deal over it and didn't charge me for it. I bet if you would push your salesman you could get the dealership to install it for free. Also just a tip I didn't know about the switches can be set up to work when the ignition is on or off just by switching the fuse location.

• Like 2