Upfitter switches

My just picked up my 2020 2500HD Duramax. As I bought off the lot, and the truck I selected did not have the upfitter switches optioned, so I need to 100% self install.  I took a look under the hood, and the firewall pass thru doesn't seem to include the "nub" that is cut to allow the power pass thru. My truck was mfg in Feb 2020.  I can't tell from reading the past pages of posts, so I'll ask. Does the upfitter install work with diesel? I'm ready to order the parts, but as has been noted many times, the parts are not specified for the 2500s (although I get it that they fit), just not sure about the Duramax. Maybe the power pass thru is different?  I can select the Upfitter option on the chevy.com website to build a truck, so I think it will work. I'd just like confirmation.

Thanks

Edit:  I climbed up on a ladder to peer into the cavernous engine bay and the firewall. I looked way farther back and saw the "nub" that is used for the pass thru. I also went under the dash I spotted the connector taped to the harness near the fuse box. Sure sounds like it will work. Debating if I should just cut a hole in my existing (one button start version) knee bolster instead of buying the one with the outfitter switch cut out.  I guess time to order...

Yes you can install in a duramax no problem. I did in mine.

Btw, the factory doesn’t really install much for you, you still have to do 98% by yourself (or pay a shop).
All the factory does is install the knee bolster with the switches in there (not wired) so it only saves a little time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, Kevin Monaghan said:

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1314/UI Bulletin 153_wip.pdf

Mine came loose in the truck, install is customer/ upfitter responsibility. looks like a big job.

Hey wondering if you had any issues with the fuses in switched ignition. My upfitter switches work when I have the fuses set on constant. If I have them on switched the relays don’t engage. Wondering if you ran into this and if you have any idea why this might happen. As working fine since I installed them and today it started acting up. Thanks. 

Im actually looking to add these as overhead aux switches in my Ford... anyway i think i just need the physical buttons and ill wire everything to a relay box, ect, to mate with my wiring.

Two questions:

-Id like to know if these are momentary buttons? or "push and lock" then "push to release"?

-And would anyone be able take dimensions of the buttons including bezel?  it looks like maybe 1"x4" but its hard to tell. 

On 7/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, Gerstein1989 said:

Hey wondering if you had any issues with the fuses in switched ignition. My upfitter switches work when I have the fuses set on constant. If I have them on switched the relays don’t engage. Wondering if you ran into this and if you have any idea why this might happen. As working fine since I installed them and today it started acting up. Thanks. 

I installed everything and still have not used them for anything as of yet. All on constant power for now. Worst case, you should be able to bring it back to the dealer  as it is an OEM option/accessory. 

8 hours ago, Kevin Monaghan said:

I installed everything and still have not used them for anything as of yet. All on constant power for now. Worst case, you should be able to bring it back to the dealer  as it is an OEM option/accessory. 

Hey thanks. I actually figured it out. There’s actually an ignition fuse under the hood and it wasn’t making contact with the fuse properly. Pushed the pins closer and now I have no problems 

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed the Upfitter switches in my 2020 HC.Took almost 6 hours. It would have been 4 hours, until I dropped a screw under the center console. I ended up totally removing the console and Bose subwoofer box to get to the screw. It was found. Otherwise the install went fairly well. I'm sure I could probably do it again in under an hour if I had to. I was overly careful to not break/bend/stretch the plastic bits. I picked up the whole kit from someone who got one with their truck but decided to do something else.

The kit I had was for a non push button start. Since mine was a push button start, I cut a square hole in my bolster and installed the switch block.  I have the non-push button start black bolster (84487351) with upfitter switch cutout available if anybody wants it. $20+shipping. I'm near Seattle.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 5:25 PM, troydej said:

Im actually looking to add these as overhead aux switches in my Ford... anyway i think i just need the physical buttons and ill wire everything to a relay box, ect, to mate with my wiring.

Two questions:

-Id like to know if these are momentary buttons? or "push and lock" then "push to release"?

-And would anyone be able take dimensions of the buttons including bezel?  it looks like maybe 1"x4" but its hard to tell. 

The rectangular cutout for the switch block is 1.5" x 3.95'. The switches are "push and lock" then "push to release". When turned on, they sit a bit below flush and are back lit. When off, they sit more flush and unlit. They toggle relays in the added fuse box you can hear switching.

9 minutes ago, Indycanard said:

I just installed the Upfitter switches in my 2020 HC.Took almost 6 hours. It would have been 4 hours, until I dropped a screw under the center console. I ended up totally removing the console and Bose subwoofer box to get to the screw. It was found. Otherwise the install went fairly well. I'm sure I could probably do it again in under an hour if I had to. I was overly careful to not break/bend/stretch the plastic bits. I picked up the whole kit from someone who got one with their truck but decided to do something else.

The kit I had was for a non push button start. Since mine was a push button start, I cut a square hole in my bolster and installed the switch block.  I have the non-push button start black bolster (84487351) with upfitter switch cutout available if anybody wants it. $20+shipping. I'm near Seattle.

I did the same, except I had the bolster with push button start, and I needed one the one without. 

• 1 month later...

I have plow prep package, under the seat was the plow upfitter package(8466970)  listed in bulletin 147, as well as the wire harness (84732643) in 161 . I'm not sure if the dealer just didn't get the switches or I need to order it, is there anything else I need? does the switch just plug in somewhere under the dash? seems like the power listed in bulletin 153 is the same as the plow upfitter package? You'd think if your truck has plow prep package, the switch would be part of it automatically

On 8/13/2020 at 10:06 AM, Indycanard said:

The rectangular cutout for the switch block is 1.5" x 3.95'. The switches are "push and lock" then "push to release". When turned on, they sit a bit below flush and are back lit. When off, they sit more flush and unlit. They toggle relays in the added fuse box you can hear switching.

Does anyone know of a "momentary switch" that is available to replace one of the push on  push off switches? I would like to use one of these buttons for an air horn. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Mikemjr1 said:

Does anyone know of a "momentary switch" that is available to replace one of the push on  push off switches? I would like to use one of these buttons for an air horn. 

I plan on using one switch to turn on the air horns and wire tap off the original horns to trigger the relay of the air horns. This way, both horns will work off the horn button. Yes the factory horn will blow at the same time but you'll never hear it.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Mikemjr1 said:

I plan on using one switch to turn on the air horns and wire tap off the original horns to trigger the relay of the air horns. This way, both horns will work off the horn button. Yes the factory horn will blow at the same time but you'll never hear it.

I finished the rest of the install the factory left out tonight. My knee bolster was already installed by the factory. I wasn't about to take the whole dash apart to mount the fuse/relay box even though I do this kind of work for a living. The factory should have screwed it in place while the bolster was out. I was able to get the two screws in behind the installed knee bolster with my fingers and with a short socket (7 mm) and a swivel head 1/4" drive ratchet, tighten them to the box. Reaching up behind the bolster and clicking in the two plugs wasn't too bad either.