Life expectancy of unused engine oil?

What’s the expiration date of your unused engine oil? You know, we stock up at times and has anyone ever wondered the expiration date of unused motor oil? Does conventional oil expire faster than full synthetic and does 100% synthetic last longer on the shelf?

Sent from Above

3 months? No way! Some of that stuff sits on store shelves forever. I read an article that stated that as long as it's in a good factory sealed unopened container that is stored in normal temperatures and away from direct sunlight, the true shelf life is about 2 years. And that's for conventional oils! I'm sure you can push synthetics even longer. So like the OP said, probably like 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interwebs state 5yr, 10yr, to unlimited yrs. If unopened and not stored in direct sunlight.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/shelf-life-of-unopened-mobil-1-quarts

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1521584

Edited by 2018GMC

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

What’s the expiration date of your unused engine oil? You know, we stock up at times and has anyone ever wondered the expiration date of unused motor oil? Does conventional oil expire faster than full synthetic and does 100% synthetic last longer on the shelf?

Sent from Above

Interesting read....thanks, never thought about this at all....I will have to check my stock( way toooo much) and make sure I rotate it and stop buying for probably a year or more.....thanks, TXGREEK 

• Like 1

Pay attention to the Blackstone reports. It has no shelf life in a sealed container. How long ago did the dinosaur live?  

That’s funny but new oil isn’t really sealed it’s just a screw on cap with no seal underneath which means air can get to it, right? I read somewhere that Shell recommendation is 5 years max shelf life while others are quoting 10plus. I’ve bought mine in bulk as well so I’m curious.....

Sent from Above

41 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

The shelf life stuff to me is just a ploy to make you buy more oil.

:thumbs:

51 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s funny but new oil isn’t really sealed it’s just a screw on cap with no seal underneath which means air can get to it, right? 

Does it leak? Nope. It's sealed. 

This isn't milk, meat or nuclear material with a half life. It's oil and elemental additives. 

• Haha 1

The base stock sat in the ground for millions of years. A few years on the shelf won't hurt it. Additives? They'll be fine for at least a few years....probably 10 yrs or more.

I have oil 10+ yrs old that I still use in the transmission of my dirtbike. No issues. Still on the original clutch, 400+ hrs.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

18 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

The base stock sat in the ground for millions of years. A few years on the shelf won't hurt it. Additives? They'll be fine for at least a few years....probably 10 yrs or more.

I have oil 10+ yrs old that I still use in the transmission of my dirtbike. No issues. Still on the original clutch, 400+ hrs.

Again we agree

:crackup:

What is going on here? 

Additives were fine in 70 year old oil.