DEX-COOL or not?

20 minutes ago, mcr217 said:

GM recommends DEX-COOL coolant in their vehicles, but I've heard it can jack up manifold gaskets and cause other problems... Anyone have problems with this type of coolant or have any other recommendations? I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 by the way

Nothing wrong with DexCool. 

• Like 1

IMO the things I have seen of people complaining about it are those who never flush their coolant out when it gets old like the manual calls for. I don't need to do mine just yet since I had the radiator replaced and that dumps a bunch of coolant out in the process but in another 2 years I am going to disconnect everything and drain the system and flush it out with water then refill with dexcool again.

I take it GM puts DEX-COOL in their vehicles off the line? I know mixing different kinds of coolant can create a reaction between the 2 and cause problems, so it makes sense that those who don't flush out the old before putting in the new could increase that risk.

dexcool had issues back in 2000s because it would go acidic "faster" than other types. what prevented that was actually changing you coolant when you were supposed to.

happened to my mothers Bonneville it went acidic and ate the head gaskets, thinned the oil and spun a main bearing. 

havent heard of this issue recently may be fixed idk

dexcool had issues back in 2000s because it would go acidic "faster" than other types. what prevented that was actually changing you coolant when you were supposed to.

happened to my mothers Bonneville it went acidic and ate the head gaskets, thinned the oil and spun a main bearing. 

havent heard of this issue recently may be fixed idk

It was more than likely a bad intake plenum gasket, or lower manifold gasket(s) that allowed coolant into the oil. Most 3800's have suffered this failure. I have owned a few, and fixed many more, in addition to many 60* V6's as well.

16 minutes ago, carkhz316 said:

It was more than likely a bad intake plenum gasket, or lower manifold gasket(s) that allowed coolant into the oil. Most 3800's have suffered this failure. I have owned a few, and fixed many more, in addition to many 60* V6's as well.

it was a head gasket i worked on it. yes the gasket material also was apart of it didnt get along with dexcool

Edited by djw88

2 hours ago, mcr217 said:

GM recommends DEX-COOL coolant in their vehicles, but I've heard it can jack up manifold gaskets and cause other problems... Anyone have problems with this type of coolant or have any other recommendations? I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 by the way

Nope, use DexCool.  These new trucks have 99 problems, but DexCool ain't one of 'em.  What happened almost 30 years ago isn't germane to the current formulation/situation.  

1 hour ago, mcr217 said:

I take it GM puts DEX-COOL in their vehicles off the line? I know mixing different kinds of coolant can create a reaction between the 2 and cause problems, so it makes sense that those who don't flush out the old before putting in the new could increase that risk.

Absolutely.  And the specs and capacities section of your Owner's Manual is your friend.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Haha 1