2 hours ago, Colossus said:

doesn't matter what oil you use, you'll still get build up. 

Technically this is almost true. Wording prevents it from being a categorical imperative.  ALL lubricants will leave deposits IF they are left in longer than their chemistry will allow. It ought to be blindly obvious that if you changed oil every 5 miles there would be NO build up...ever and as such any oil would do. Your statement says it is unavoidable and that isn't true. 

As much argument as there is over oil it seems to get past people that each oil chemistry has it own unique finite SERVICE LIFE. From a deposit formation viewpoint TIME/MILES/GALLONS OF FUEL USED (what ever measure you like to change by) the point of initiation is time AT temperature dependent. (assuming a mechanically sound motor to begin with). 

So while you CAN still get build up with any oil the amount and degree is very much dependent on base oil and additive chemistry. And if changed often enough FOR THAT chemistry deposits, to the degree they interfere with functionality  can be completely avoided.

I've pulled 200K motors apart that were cleaner inside than some shops build new to.

Trick is less about finding the right oil as it is the right OCI for that oil. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Colossus said:

doesn't matter what oil you use, you'll still get build up. 

This motor was an industrial unit with allot of hours and several decades on it. In this third take on this motor they finally pull it down. Notice how clean the piston skirts and lands are. Yes is was a propane motor for most of it's life. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go with Shell Rotella Gas Truck and Napa Gold Filter. 

Question though, and forgive my ignorance.....I wander if my dealership would use customer supplied oil like Shell Rotella Gas Truck? It is Dexos Gen 2 Approved.  

Edited by MacLaren

5 hours ago, MacLaren said:

I'm gonna go with Shell Rotella Gas Truck and Napa Gold Filter. 

Question though, and forgive my ignorance.....I wander if my dealership would use customer supplied oil like Shell Rotella Gas Truck? It is Dexos Gen 2 Approved.  

Yes it is and no they won't....unless you have a "hook". (Know someone there along time). 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Yes it is and no they won't....unless you have a "hook". (Know someone there along time). 

Ya know, I called my dealership yesterday. Small town dealership too. And, I explained what I wanted to do, and they said no problem. I was very happy to hear that. They're even gonna let me use a NAPA Gold Filter too. I asked to make sure, if this would in any way void my warranty and they said no. They said the oil is Dexos Gen 2 approved and the main thing is being able to prove that the oil was in fact changed in case something happens. I really like this little dealership. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well gang, things could not have went any better at my dealership today. Got my rear wheelhouse liners put on and had my oil changed ( Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 & Napa Gold Filter )

The total for rear wheel house liners installed were 215 and the oil change, she only charged me $14.95, and I still get a free oil change next time! Even using my own oil and filter! So, I had 23,000 rewards points and that took off $115.00

So, everything went great! 

This dealership will certainly be keeping my business.  Very friendly people, very transparent, no surprises, - they really try to help ya. 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2021 at 10:48 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Technically this is almost true. Wording prevents it from being a categorical imperative.  ALL lubricants will leave deposits IF they are left in longer than their chemistry will allow. It ought to be blindly obvious that if you changed oil every 5 miles there would be NO build up...ever and as such any oil would do. Your statement says it is unavoidable and that isn't true. 

As much argument as there is over oil it seems to get past people that each oil chemistry has it own unique finite SERVICE LIFE. From a deposit formation viewpoint TIME/MILES/GALLONS OF FUEL USED (what ever measure you like to change by) the point of initiation is time AT temperature dependent. (assuming a mechanically sound motor to begin with). 

So while you CAN still get build up with any oil the amount and degree is very much dependent on base oil and additive chemistry. And if changed often enough FOR THAT chemistry deposits, to the degree they interfere with functionality  can be completely avoided.

I've pulled 200K motors apart that were cleaner inside than some shops build new to.

Trick is less about finding the right oil as it is the right OCI for that oil. 

As you stated above as well as posting the video of the engine ran on propane.  Fuel plays a good role in engine deposits.  Take for example if you can find one, an engine ran 100% on E85 for 200k miles and open it up to one that was run on regular 87 any brand fuel.  The inside of the E85 engine will be cleaner inside due to the cleaner combustion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, MacLaren said:

the main thing is being able to prove that the oil was in fact changed in case something happens. 

So if you are one to change your own oil how would you prove that the oil was changed (serviced properly)....if in fact something were to happen?

1 hour ago, Laidback said:

So if you are one to change your own oil how would you prove that the oil was changed (serviced properly)....if in fact something were to happen?

Not important. They have to prove it wasn't. 

• Like 2

I always record my repairs I've done in the owners manual, this coupled with receipts kept would make their proving it wasn't, even harder.  I will continue to when I do my own on my 2500 

• Like 3

I'm planning on using 5W30 Signature series or Boosted XL Amsoil with Wix WL10255XP oil filter.  

Watch the tournament series Project Farm does of testing all the various engine oils. 

Amsoil has one of the lowest amounts lost due to the oil becoming vaporized. I cant remember the vapor rating system, NOAK volatility test?  The more the oil becomes vaporized under high heat, the more gumming up of the valves happens. 

I also plan on using using fuel additives once every two months, Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil.

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 2:10 PM, Laidback said:

I keep all receipts, have paper records recoding what I did, mileage dates ect. I also take pictures of everything I do. This still takes an hour or two less than going to dealer.