Illuminated GMC emblem

Just ran across this today. Has anyone installed the new illuminated GMC emblem on their truck yet? I'd like to know how the install is and what it actually looks like in a truck. What's everyone's thoughts on them? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm kind of on the fence with it being too much. Part number is 84741557 

84741557.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased one on January 24th.  Got an email from my local dealer saying it is on back order... will update when it comes in and I will include pictures with write up on install.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:41 AM, Dick Messerly said:

Just ran across this today. Has anyone installed the new illuminated GMC emblem on their truck yet? I'd like to know how the install is and what it actually looks like in a truck. What's everyone's thoughts on them? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm kind of on the fence with it being too much. Part number is 84741557 

Sold out nation wide and backordered.... let me know if you find someone who has one.

PR

• Like 1

Found one on eBay at 80 bucks more than I found at another place who is sold out. Oh well. 

Will be here on thursday. Will need to tape and mask off the red so I can paint it black, but I'll install and report back with pics. 

• Like 2

Ordered mine from shopchevyparts.com (direct link below) last Thursday (1/30/20) and received it yesterday (2/4/20). Installing today. Will take photos and update when finished.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exterior/2020-sierra-1500-illuminated-gmc-emblem-red-gmc-logo-front-grille/84741557-p-92306784.html

GM installation instructions are attached in PDF format. I suspect that grill removal and headlight removal will not be necessary....

Illuminated GMC installation instuctions.pdf

Edited by Mason603a
adding PDF with installation instructions
  • Like 1

Just did the install. Took about 15-20 minutes. A few tips:

1. I would recommend routing the wire BEFORE installing the emblem. Would make plugging the pigtail into the emblem much easier!

2. Also, no need to remove the grill or headlights, everything is easily accessible by just removing the black cover between the grill and radiator (10 or so black "push-clips").

3. Be sure to route the wire over and then in front of the grill shutters, not between the grill shutter fins/blades).

See photos of how i routed the wire and one photo of finished product. It is not very bright at all in the daytime, Assuming it will be much brighter at night.

IMG_4751.PNG

IMG_4750.PNG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4749.PNG

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Mason603a said:

Just did the install. Took about 15-20 minutes. A few tips:

1. I would recommend routing the wire BEFORE installing the emblem. Would make plugging the pigtail into the emblem much easier!

2. Also, no need to remove the grill or headlights, everything is easily accessible by just removing the black cover between the grill and radiator (10 or so black "push-clips").

3. Be sure to route the wire over and then in front of the grill shutters, not between the grill shutter fins/blades).

See photos of how i routed the wire and one photo of finished product. It is not very bright at all in the daytime, Assuming it will be much brighter at night.

IMG_4751.PNG

IMG_4750.PNG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4749.PNG

Awesome thank you for this post! It looks like the one you ordered came with the rear emblem too from the instructions it looks like both? I was talking with my parts manager at the dealership it looks like there are two options one that comes with the rear emblem and one without? Also it looks like it should work just fine for the 19 as well as the 20 is yours a 20? I'm pretty excited now! 

5 minutes ago, Dick Messerly said:

Awesome thank you for this post! It looks like the one you ordered came with the rear emblem too from the instructions it looks like both? I was talking with my parts manager at the dealership it looks like there are two options one that comes with the rear emblem and one without? Also it looks like it should work just fine for the 19 as well as the 20 is yours a 20? I'm pretty excited now! 

You're welcome! The one i ordered (and posted the link to) does NOT come with the rear emblem also. And yes, the same part works for the 2019 AND 2020 trucks. Mine is a 2019

Edited by Mason603a
clarification
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mason603a said:

You're welcome! The one i ordered (and posted the link to) does NOT come with the rear emblem also.

What year is your truck? The emblem already looks soooooo much better without that chrome surround!

Just now, Dick Messerly said:

What year is your truck? The emblem already looks soooooo much better without that chrome surround!

Mine is a 2019. The lighted emblem (GM Part # 84741557) works for both 2019 & 2020 year models. Personally confirmed.

1 minute ago, Chrisd534 said:

Looks good! Also curious how it would look at night! 

How does it hook up? Is it just an in line plug between the headlight and the headlight pigtail? 

Yes, basically the harness has a dual ended pigtail... Unplug headlight, plug in one end of the pigtail into the headlight plug, then plug the end you removed from the headlight into the other end of the pigtail. Super simple. Here are a couple of photos of it at night (not mine)

image.thumb.png.0df8816f153ca92d4dc78cc9ff1c9fdb.png

image.thumb.png.1c98c7f91e49027dda9da0cdb7c946a9.png

• Like 5