Illuminated GMC emblem

Here it is at night. Everything is looking good. Just need to figure out mounting and harness reroute.  

IMG-4726.jpg

Keep us updated. I want to add one to my 2018 Sierra but mounting is obviously an issue. I’m curious how to get it to work.

I know this thread is for real truck owners, but I do like the new emblem. I ordered one for my 2016 Yukon XL Denali. The logo arrived last night and I feverishly hooked up the plug'n'play harness that accompanies it. Long story short, it was integrated to my turn signal. I re-spliced the jumpers off the signal and onto the feed for my marker lamps. Seems to work now, but I can not tell it is on in the daylight. Obviously it is more noticeable at night. Also the logo illuminates when I turn on my fog light. might have to try another wire that is hot when parking lights are on. 
Question. 
Is the brightness/intensity satisfactory for you?
I wish it was a little more intense. Maybe it is not meant for a 12V setup. I will figure out mounting later.

8-D4-CE72-D-F182-4032-9-BDD-50450-BCA1-E57-1-201-a.jpg

If this comes together, I will update with some better pics.
The brightness could be a little brighter I feel. All of the pictures in the thread make it look much brighter than it is in person.

Part of it might be making sure it isn't distracting to oncoming drivers maybe.

All done with installing the new 2019/2020 Sierra GMC backlit emblem on my 2016 Yukon.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Here is what I did in no particular order. No laughing allowed.  

1-------Remove old emblem. 

spacer.png

2-------OEM (above) vs  Backlit (below)

spacer.png

3-------Grind protruding retainers from Grille. (retainers seen in image 1---)

spacer.png

4-------Use OEM backplate as a template to address inconsistencies with the new emblem/harness attachment points and mounting studs.

Worked out great for maintaining a level and centered mount! 

spacer.png

5-------Hole cut in backplate for 12v power supply. 

spacer.png

6-------marked and cut hole in grille. Also drilled hole for studs (drilled hole seen in image---3)

spacer.png

7-------Grind off seven clips. 

spacer.png

8-------Slight harness splicing to correct lighting performance. (turn signal troubleshoot).

Used a Fluke Meter to associate 12v supply with feed manipulation.

spacer.png

9-------Drilled and placed backup custom pins. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I took some video but am new to posting and creating and modifying on all fronts. 

Nonetheless, the finished result has received many a compliment thus far. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

LMKWYT. Let Me Know What You Think.

Thank you. 

JB

• Like 1

Does anyone think the illuminated emblem would be easier to remove than the original without removing the grill

I get new trucks every couple years I would probably want to put the illuminated emblem on a new truck in a year or two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So installed the black one at dealership. Looked great then a storm hit us in Central Texas. Now the sob won’t come on. Had dealership check it again and it was working. Washed truck today and now it won’t come on again. Think I should have unit replaced ? I’m assuming the engineers designed it to withstand rain... so dunno if I got a piece of ****** or what?

6262A31A-080A-461A-AA86-C95A55246EB7.jpeg

Does anyone know if the harness that comes with this kit has a separate part number that can be ordered?  I’m interested in just the harness if possible.  TIA
It's all wired in together so I doubt it. To "replace" it you would need to rewire a new harness which isn't how they do things in 2020. They just slap a whole new one in since it takes 1/4 the time.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:18 AM, J_B said:

All done with installing the new 2019/2020 Sierra GMC backlit emblem on my 2016 Yukon.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Here is what I did in no particular order. No laughing allowed.  

1-------Remove old emblem. 

spacer.png

2-------OEM (above) vs  Backlit (below)

spacer.png

3-------Grind protruding retainers from Grille. (retainers seen in image 1---)

spacer.png

4-------Use OEM backplate as a template to address inconsistencies with the new emblem/harness attachment points and mounting studs.

Worked out great for maintaining a level and centered mount! 

spacer.png

5-------Hole cut in backplate for 12v power supply. 

spacer.png

6-------marked and cut hole in grille. Also drilled hole for studs (drilled hole seen in image---3)

spacer.png

7-------Grind off seven clips. 

spacer.png

8-------Slight harness splicing to correct lighting performance. (turn signal troubleshoot).

Used a Fluke Meter to associate 12v supply with feed manipulation.

spacer.png

9-------Drilled and placed backup custom pins. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyone else having problems viewing images. have a 2012 gmc sierra and would like to see how modified to fit if even possible.

I think I posted too high of resolution photos or linked my google photos incorrectly. Sorry. Try right clicking on an image and select Open Image in New Tab.

34 minutes ago, jamez74 said:

I added the black overlay to go with the emblem on my AT4.  

0A992F1C-657E-4155-B5B3-C55247915C75.jpeg

3189A831-1CA1-4DB9-96AE-A3B7515A231C.jpeg

Overlay? Does it snap on or is it a grill replacement?

Where'd you get it?

Edited by Maverick0984

6 minutes ago, Maverick0984 said:

Overlay? Does it snap on or is it a grill replacement?

Where'd you get it?

It goes over the existing grill, uses 3m tape to attatch.  I bought it from Knight Ray Trim.  It was the only place I could find that would ship to Canada.  https://knightray.com/collections/gmc/products/abs6496blk-1

Just google the part #ABS6496BLK and you will find more sellers.

You have to cut out the hole for the camera if you have it.

7 minutes ago, jamez74 said:

It goes over the existing grill, uses 3m tape to attatch.  I bought it from Knight Ray Trim.  It was the only place I could find that would ship to Canada.  https://knightray.com/collections/gmc/products/abs6496blk-1

Just google the part #ABS6496BLK and you will find more sellers.

You have to cut out the hole for the camera if you have it.

How's the finish?  Does it "match" ?

Worry that the 3M tape will potentially damage the existing grill if you change your mind and want to go back?