2.7l Engine Mods, Please help.

People seem really hung up on numbers. Without realizing more gears in the transmission is the same as more HP. I remember not to long ago 300-350 HP was the end all and that was with a 4 speed overdrive. The biggest problem with the feels like is the nannies. The nannies are there for longevity. I’ve been at the top of the HP mountain. At 70MPH it all feels the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Some of us old guys are happy with the little four banger just the way it is.
If I want more power I'll just get in my 03 Corvette.

That’s the key, to be happy with whatcha got. Unfortunately, the newer vehicles, no matter what size engines just DO NOT have the capability to be modified.

Sent from Above
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 9:37 AM, teej750 said:

I am just wondering has anyone done ANYTHING to their 4 cylinder, turbo (l3b) engine.  

I am sure you were happy with the powertrain when new. Now that you've become comfortable with the truck, you want more.  If you purchased the 5.3, you would now be wishing the 6.2. ? This is normal.  I do this with motorcycles, but not cars or trucks.   What is your 2.7 not able to do for you?  This is a light, highly efficient work horse.   I appreciate that bragging rights (by mouth or exhaust)  varies in importance from circle to circle.  Personally, I would find a more captive audience wanting to hear about my new state of the art engine than the standard issue 5.3.   Enjoy your truck!.  Your 2.7 will do all of the tasks your truck is specified to do and can earn you all of the speeding tickets you want.  If you need to haul heavier than specified or now planning to race, then you need to upgrade your truck!

• Like 3

This is what gets me people buy the 4 cylinder then want more performance out of it, really. Why didn't they just buy the 5.3 or the 6.2 if you wanted more performance?

A friend of mine works at our local dealership and when those 4 cylinders first came out they had 1 truck on the lot and it sat on there lot for months before someone bought it. A few weeks ago I ask him about sales on the 4 cylinder and he said they are slow movers people just don't want a 4 cylinder in a full size truck no matter what power it has, I see GM not making these motors long before they stop putting that motor in a truck. I see resale value being rock bottom on full size 4 cylinder trucks years down the road.

Edited by Silverado4x4

This is what gets me people buy the 4 cylinder then want more performance out of it, really. Why didn't they just buy the 5.3 or the 6.2 if you wanted more performance?

A friend of mine works at our local dealership and when those 4 cylinders first came out they had 1 truck on the lot and it sat on there lot for months before someone bought it. A few weeks ago I ask him about sales on the 4 cylinder and he said they are slow movers people just don't want a 4 cylinder in a full size truck no matter what power it has, I see GM not making these motors long before they stop putting that motor in a truck. I see resale value being rock bottom on full size 4 cylinder trucks years down the road.
I used to only have a land line too. Now I have a cell phone. People are slow to adopt new technology, mostly because change is uncomfortable.

I have the 2.7 and love it, leased it a week ago so idgaf about resale. Does everything I want and frankly it's easier driving and more snappy than my 2017 LTZ 5.3.

All the gripes about it not being THAT much better on efficiency are pretty misinformed. At first glance it's going to be 20-25% more efficient than my last truck and that's probably pretty conservative. I averaged about 16.5mpg lifetime on that with mixed city/highway. This thing is averaging 19.5 with a fair bit of spirited driving.

I'm not towing a skidsteer to the job site everyday so for a the bulk of pickup drivers that are weekend warriors and DIY aficionados these things are perfect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 4:34 PM, Silverado4x4 said:

I think there is a disconnect in wanting some more performance and wanting something unrealistic out of a motor that just isn't possible. I am not sure what bucket the OP falls into but I can say that the statement that why didn't they just buy a larger motor just is a bit silly if you think about it. Do you same the same for EVERY 5.3L that buys an exhaust, intake, tune, etc? I think you are mistaken if you think more vehicles will start switching to lower cylinder forced induction motors given emissions and regulations but time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

I think there is a disconnect in wanting some more performance and wanting something unrealistic out of a motor that just isn't possible. I am not sure what bucket the OP falls into but I can say that the statement that why didn't they just buy a larger motor just is a bit silly if you think about it. Do you same the same for EVERY 5.3L that buys an exhaust, intake, tune, etc? I think you are mistaken if you think more vehicles will start switching to lower cylinder forced induction motors given emissions and regulations but time will tell I guess.

The fast and furious kids are growing up and getting kids. The trend is to go from Honda Civic type cars to pickups versus larger cars. Like when people like my generation wanted to tune V8s, the newer generations are going want to tune turbo 4s and 6s. I messed with every pickup I owned from the 70s on. One of the reasons this old guy buys older trucks. Like a dog pissing on a tree, I made my truck my own. Tuning isn’t always for speed. I mostly hated the way the transmission shifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 2.7 Sierra and I feel your pain. I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to get the most of a truck regardless of engine size, I feel like a lot of people on here are just bias against the new 4 cylinders because it’s not a huge v8. I love mine! I put a borla atak exhaust on it and deleted the resonator and I like the sound and I’m about to lift and re gear it. If you want performance I know afe just released the scorcher blue for it. You plug it up and can increase boost with it. I think this truck is incredible for just being a turbo 4. I also have a pedal commander on it to change throttle response. Barely touch the pedal and it takes of quick.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:13 AM, Burcham7 said:

I have a 2.7 Sierra and I feel your pain. I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to get the most of a truck regardless of engine size, I feel like a lot of people on here are just bias against the new 4 cylinders because it’s not a huge v8. I love mine! I put a borla atak exhaust on it and deleted the resonator and I like the sound and I’m about to lift and re gear it. If you want performance I know afe just released the scorcher blue for it. You plug it up and can increase boost with it. I think this truck is incredible for just being a turbo 4. I also have a pedal commander on it to change throttle response. Barely touch the pedal and it takes of quick.

Raising boost will be the easiest way to gain HP in this motor.

To get any real gains you better learn one of the tuning programs and start swapping turbos.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 7:54 PM, RaisedByWolves said:

Raising boost will be the easiest way to gain HP in this motor.

To get any real gains you better learn one of the tuning programs and start swapping turbos.

Yup I agree! I plan I’m getting the scorcher blue For it to adjust the boost in the turbo, and also afe’s cold air intake. Should be plenty of power to make me happy! I don’t need anything crazy. If I can get 40-50hp out of the combo of the two, I consider that a win and would definitely suffice for me. I just got it lifted today, still waiting to put my 35’s on. Looks good so far though!

487D8039-E383-48E0-AC37-C7C8C500B872.jpeg

Edited by Burcham7
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:56 AM, Colossus said:

Well more power to ya and the little engine club. 

I don’t need a huge motor, I hardly tow, I just have the truck for the times I need a truck. I haul a few round bails for my step dad here and there, but that’s about it. Always comes in handy having one.