Aux & Transfer Tanks

I currently have a 2017 1500 Sierra SLT Crew Cab Std Box Z71.  We are getting serious about upgrading to a 3500 SRW Crew Cab SLT but still debating the virtues of Long Box Vs. Standard.  We would buy new, more than likely since I spend enough time in my truck that the value exceeds the cost, to us.  I prefer the SLT, but when it comes to 1 ton does the Denali ride any better than the SLT?  The cost difference between the SLT and Denali could pay for an Aux or Transfer tank.  

The purpose of our upgrade would be to facilitate a bumper pull travel trailer for summer camping, motorcycle trips (toy hauler), and various hunting seasons.  We live the Pacific Northwest with mountains, long grades and distances to go, so we need to "bring enough truck".  I am well aware that the 1-tons offer a substantially firmer ride than the 1/2 tons...I will sorely miss the floating ride of my 1500.  So with that said, are Aux tanks (those that feed into the main fuel tank) and Transfer tanks (those that are not plumbed to the main tank but use a filler nozzle) a good way to soften the ride when I am not towing?   

My thought process is that a 100-gallon tank when full would put about 850 lbs of additional weight in the truck.  700lbs of fuel and 150ish for the tank.  The problem is 100 gallons is a HUGE tank and would require the long box less it take up almost half the bed.  I like the aesthetics and compactness of the Standard box, but if a big aux or transfer tank were in the plans I think the long box might be the way to go as we'd still retain 6+ feet of bed space even with the tank.   It would offer a lot of extra fuel capacity and flexibility as we could tanker when we find a good price.  I drive enough that the fuel would get used.  While I would enjoy the soft ride too, hauling this extra weight would really only be necessary for the wife, who also loves the way the 1500 rides.  I'd hate to upgrade, spend double on the next truck and have her hate the way it rides, even if it could pull a train out of a ditch.  

What is the smallest capacity tank that would provide appreciable ride dampening?  30 gallons? 50 gallons?  70 gallons?  I prefer the aesthetics and compactness of the Standard box, but if feedback suggests this is a great idea, then the long box will still be in play.  If a small enough tank <50 gallons is enough to significantly improve the ride, then the Standard box may still work as long as the tank is removable as needed.  

Any input from the brain trust is appreciated.  

I'm in the same realm as you.  I went from 1500 to 2018 2500HD Duramax All Terrain w/ standard bed, so I'm somewhat used to the stiffer ride.  I am looking at getting a 3500HD AT4 Duramax

The 2020 standard bed was lengthened so it is now just under 7 feet.  My brother-in-law got a Dodge 3500 long bed dually and told me parking has become more of an issue.  Says the long bed is best for his fifth wheel and some cargo.  He does not have a tank in the bed. 

I'm thinking standard bed because I don't carry much in the bed, and I am parking a lot more that towing a trailer.  But for total capacity the long bed does make a lot of sense.

To each his own.

• Like 1

Guys - I don't see the need to add weight to the truck to make it drive smoother. I currently drive an 18 3500  CCSB Dmax and looking to upgrade to a 20 AT4 with same specs. This is my 2nd Dmax and I've had many 1/2 tons before as well. I daily drive it so I agree the short bed is the only way to go if you don't want issues parking. Now the truck doesn't drive like a car -especially unloaded but to be honest my family prefers my truck on long trips anyways. Doesn't matter if we have the 5th wheel or not - it rides firm but still nice pretty nice. My 2 cents

• Like 1

The total difference in length between the standard bed and the long bed is 15 inches.  I personally think that with the larger cabs, the standard box is too short and looks funny (the way the super short boxes look funny on the half tons) because the box is too short compared to the rest of the truck.  As for slip tanks, check out the ones that mount against the sides of the truck bed utilizing the space around the wheel wells.  

• Like 1

It it's ride improvement when not towing or loaded - air down the tires instead of adding weight.

A load vs inflation chart for the tire size and ply rating can provide 'recommended air pressure' for whatever actual wheel loads you are running.

• Like 1

The total difference in length between the standard bed and the long bed is 15 inches.  I personally think that with the larger cabs, the standard box is too short and looks funny (the way the super short boxes look funny on the half tons) because the box is too short compared to the rest of the truck.  As for slip tanks, check out the ones that mount against the sides of the truck bed utilizing the space around the wheel wells.  

I disagree, respectfully, with@Sniperdan [emoji2] I like the look of the std box and think the long bed looks long haha.

But maybe because I had the short bed on my 2019 Silverado 1500. The std box on the HD’s is like a foot longer than the 1500 short bed. So it will still feel like an upgrade for space.

I owned the ‘19 1500 for a year then test drove the 2500 and 3500, they obviously weren’t as plush as the 1500 but honestly pretty damn good! I think you’ll be surprised if you haven’t test drove one yet.

Since you’re using your truck for truck stuff, I guess I’ll just mention that the long bed will have less payload (comparing like for like minus bed length) and of course adding an aux tank will lower your payload more, so just keep that in mind depending on how heavy your trailers are.
  • Like 1

Great feedback from all of you,  thanks.  Keep it coming, the more info the better as we consider this upgrade. 

There would be no better way to determine if the ride quality is acceptable than taking test drives in the various configurations.  

An Aux/Transfer tank would be a nice feature as long as it could be removed when needed should I need the extra space.  

What I would like to know, is at what payload weight are 3/4 & 1-ton drivers find that the ride "softens"?  300lbs? 500lbs? 700? 800?  

This is an important factor in my personal decision on this upgrade.  I recall a few years back going elk hunting in western Washington with my brother-in-law and my dad.  We were in my brother-in-laws 2006-7-8-ish 2500HD Z71 CCSB on US Forest Service roads.  My dad was in the back seat and was miserable.  To be clear, I don't expect a Bentley or Cadillac quality ride on a forest service road 5-10 miles from from the nearest pavement, but in a truck like this, no one should be miserable.  That's what I'm trying to avoid by determining the least amount (but enough) of extra weight necessary to improve the ride quality without compromising the handing or operation of the truck on a typical driving surface.  Airing down tires is an option, but not always practical.  Extra fuel is useful, the capacity provides for flexibility and tankering and the tank can be left empty if need be - or even removed in a nominal amount of time.  

Please save your comments on off-roading with extra weight.  Forest Service roads are not off roading and we're talking about a $70,000-ish truck...so that is just not going to happen.  That's what the UTV is for that rides in the toy hauler.  

Thanks again

Edited by FlyPacNW