Coronavirus

KARNUT

On 3/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, KARNUT said:

WOW. Call me an idiot. Enjoy the soup line. If there is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see it now. The Emoji? Could not for the life of me understand what/who you were talking about. I saw the caption over it today when my mouse passed over it. Okay.....that isn't what I meant. Sorry. I took a shortcut to say what I didn't say longhand. 

I disagree. 

On 3/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, KARNUT said:

After being on here for 6 years of mostly fun threads of endless oil threads, exhaust threads, with the same responses over and over again. We finally get one that’s meaningful. I was looking forward to reasonable back and forth with ideas on how we feel about the world in general. As usual some people who feel their way is rejected or challenged resort to insults and name calling. Usually lefties. Name calling behind the screen, brave. So you all have fun. Not fun for me anymore. I’m retired, I’m only interested in fun. I’m out of here.

Ya can't have it both ways sir. Unless your definition of reasonable is that I agree with you and I know you don't mean that. 

Get back in the game. You've been hit harder than that. :) 

• Like 1

Ya can't have it both ways sir. Unless your definition of reasonable is that I agree with you and I know you don't mean that. 

Get back in the game. You've been hit harder than that. [emoji4] 

Ahh. Still checking in. Choosing not to engage as much for now. A much admired radio personality says often. He’s the mayor of real-Ville. I can relate. No death is acceptable. It’s a reality. Realistically people will venture out. There’re doing it already in New York, the epicenter. I can’t be the only one that knew it would happen. They mays well be working. Where they can. As it turns out. Most people in high rise offices can work from home. Most rural areas people are working. Barber shops, dine in restaurants, government in service areas, gyms, are closed. Most every thing else business as usual. Now the auto makers are making life saving eq. Other business are making mask instead of pillows, for instance. The majority of the people that are working are wearing gloves etc. The older people are being isolated, as they should. As usual our government missed the target. People will get money that don’t need it. Companies are begging for help. Example, grocery stores, shipping centers etc. Instead of a laid off worker going elsewhere for work. They’ll sit home get full pay from unemployment. If you make as a family 150K or less you’re getting 2400$ plus unemployment @ full pay. Brilliant. That money should go to business that had to shut down instead. Much easier to loan and forgive the loan as long as they keep their employee’s. Than send to individual employees. Of course the republicans couldn’t do it that way. The dems would say they favor business. So everyone gets it. Inflation is going to be the next problem.

• Like 1

A few days ago Trump was visibly shaken at the presser when he announced the stay at home extension. The famous doctor says 100-200K people could die if we do everything right. Scared the sh$t out of me too. Then I got to thinking. Is that in the 30 days? The numbers don’t bare that out. They seem to agree we’ll peek in two weeks. Is the peek just in New York, then California, Washington, New Orleans on and on? The if (we are perfect) death rate for 30-60-90- one year? In 30 days New York can go back to work? Then California, Washington, New Orleans on and on? Seems to me some parts should be working now, then not as needed. I’m confused, hope they have a plan. Seems this is going to be around awhile. And now they are warning this will come back. Hope the new testing comes on line quick.

Today is the anniversary of the Johns Hopkins dashboard. I pull just the USA confirmed cases from there on a week over week basis to limit the feeling of being drown in data. The week and following the number of NEW cases for that week, not the totals. 

Date New Cases
1/21/2020 1
1/28/2020 4
2/4/2020 7
2/11/2020 5
2/18/2020 8
2/25/2020 49
3/3/2020 100
3/10/2020 1,200
3/17/2020 6,800
3/24/2020 59,000
3/31/2020

In New York City in the last 6 hours a person has died from this virus every 3 minutes. (Just up on NBC TV). 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

New cases by week world wide: Again not the total over all but new cases that week. Today isn't actually done so I used the current value. 

Date New Cases
1/21/2020 555
1/28/2020 5,645
2/4/2020 21,400
2/11/2020 17,600
2/18/2020 30,400
2/25/2020 5,800
3/3/2020 13,700
3/10/2020 30,800
3/17/2020 88,900
3/24/2020 252,900
3/31/2020 387,307

Plot that graph. If you do this thing is just starting...not ending. 

• Like 1

Virus free, but have a dang dual ear infection.  But I'll take that over the virus any day.  Stay safe and stay well, folks. 

• Like 1

Saw a number of posts in other forums from folks in NYC talking about the grattitude and pride they felt when they saw 1 of our 2 nation's hospital ships USNS Comfort sail into port there in New York.  Many in California feel the same way when our other hospital ship USNS Mercy docked there.  We are lucky to have these hospital ships.  Back in WWII there were 3 hospital ships, USS Mercy, USS Comfort, and USS Hope.  The current USNS Comfort and Mercy were built in the 70s as oil tankers and then converted in the 80s to hospital ships. 

I'm a Navy/Coast Guard man at heart because I love ships and the ocean.  Thanks to all of you regardless of what branch you have or do or will serve in.  And thanks to all of you out there who are pressing on and putting yourselves at risk in order to serve others.  Be it from Doctors/Medical professionals, to our postal carriers and Garbage handlers.  You are all in my prayers and have my gratitude.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Colossus
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Today is the anniversary of the Johns Hopkins dashboard. I pull just the USA confirmed cases from there on a week over week basis to limit the feeling of being drown in data. The week and following the number of NEW cases for that week, not the totals. 

Date New Cases
1/21/2020 1
1/28/2020 4
2/4/2020 7
2/11/2020 5
2/18/2020 8
2/25/2020 49
3/3/2020 100
3/10/2020 1,200
3/17/2020 6,800
3/24/2020 59,000
3/31/2020

In New York City in the last 6 hours a person has died from this virus every 3 minutes. (Just up on NBC TV). 

NY & NJ account for like 1/2 of all of the US cases  :(

have to wonder if they are counting things properly or splitting hairs for politics

Heard an interesting little tidbit about California. Seems most China travelers come through that state. California should be the epicenter it’s said. Seems the flu has been bad there since December. Maybe heard immunity has taken place there possibly. I’m sure once the dust settles we’ll know more. Around my neck of the woods, north of Houston. It looks like business as usual. Unless going into government offices or restaurants. It looks normal. Seems the young who could help with herd immunity. Are the ones forced to stay home. Most of the grim news we’re getting now, are areas that were blind sided. No chance to mitigate like now.

13 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Heard an interesting little tidbit about California. Seems most China travelers come through that state. California should be the epicenter it’s said. Seems the flu has been bad there since December. Maybe heard immunity has taken place there possibly. I’m sure once the dust settles we’ll know more. Around my neck of the woods, north of Houston. It looks like business as usual. Unless going into government offices or restaurants. It looks normal. Seems the young who could help with herd immunity. Are the ones forced to stay home. Most of the grim news we’re getting now, are areas that were blind sided. No chance to mitigate like now.

New York Governor on the news last night said something similar. His hope being the NYC experience could be useful for other population dense areas. They got the field hospital in Central Park up in a hurry. Good job. Philly did one inside at Temple that reminded me of the ones we see pictures of during 1918/19. McCormick center here is getting set up. 

• Like 1