MyChevrolet No longer free

Since when did that happen, this is my 3rd truck and the remote commands portion has always been free. Picked up my truck 1 month ago today and noticed I can no longer lock or start it from my phone without paying $15 a month. What joke.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Since when did that happen, this is my 3rd truck and the remote commands portion has always been free. Picked up my truck 1 month ago today and noticed I can no longer lock or start it from my phone without paying $15 a month. What joke.

Right there with you! I hope it's an app error. My wifes 2016 Tahoe Chevrolet app works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bryant_Olson said:

They changed it May 2018. (I think it was May...but maybe june?)

Vehicles purchased before that date still have the phone app working for remote start for 5 years without additional cost. 

After that day only the one month intro deal where everything works. 

IIRC, cheapest package to get phone remote to work is something like C$15/month. Discounts apply if purchased for longer period -- like 2 months 'free' if purchased for 12 months, so about C$150/yr

Edited by redwngr

The other way to look at it is that those who don't use it are no longer forced to pay for it in base price in order to subsidize those that are using it.

I never was 'free'...

• Like 1

Don’t you just love how they advertise all these cool features are available but forget to tell you that you will have to pay a monthly fee to use them! My 2014 truck had the app free for 5 years, and I mean 5 years to the day too! It was very handy once in a while but not nearly $15 a month handy. Luckily my salesman was very upfront about the cost from the start so I knew before purchasing my truck about the cost. Si I just ignored it from the start. Never even used the free trial of on star or the GMC app.

Now the xm radio I had bargained for on my previous truck and wife’s car. I called XM to confirm I could still get the $4.99 a month deal through them. Like I do every year I had to threaten to cancel to get the deal but by standing firm I am good with it for another year.

Shoot, I get XM radio for $70 a year and they think I'm going to pay $15 a month to use my phone to start my truck?? Is anyone here old enough to remember when cell phone texts were charged each time you sent one? They used very little bandwidth but were a huge money maker for the carrier. This is the same. The infrastructure to handle this feature is not daunting. It's just another way to nickle and dime the consumer.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, redwngr said:

The other way to look at it is that those who don't use it are no longer forced to pay for it in base price in order to subsidize those that are using it.

I never was 'free'...

? You're being pedantic. Considering it was $10k more than my 2014 I'm having a hard time finding the $750 "savings" I'm getting by not having the functionality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryant_Olson said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a hard time paying over $100 a year for something that was free before. This genuinely might push me away from Chevrolet on the next one.

Seriously? Truck checks your boxes, does what you need and so forth but a phone app will have you switch brands? Good luck with that, the grass isn't always greener.

What people feel entitled to these days is astounding. I have seen people say they won't buy a vehicle because it doesn't have LED taillights or homelink, now a phone app... 

Tyler

• Like 1