Getting into the engine bay issues

I changed the oil and had a really hard time getting to anything without a step ladder.  Im 6'0 and gangly armed so it was kind of hilarious to watch me flail in the first time.  

i grabbed a towel and draped it over the side to keep me from scratching the bajeezus of the paint.  I didnt have a step ladder handy and I was in a hurry so I dragged a large flower pot over to step in.  That wasnt high enough so I put a box in it for more height.

Anyway, wow what a hot mess.  Im going to find a very compact step ladder and find a way to secure it in the bed.  Otherwise I dont know how I could even perform routine maintenance while traveling.  I can barely reach the dipstick.

Why in the world are the engine bays so tall?  It seems completely unnecessary.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I changed the oil and had a really hard time getting to anything without a step ladder.  Im 6'0 and gangly armed so it was kind of hilarious to watch me flail in the first time.  

i grabbed a towel and draped it over the side to keep me from scratching the bajeezus of the paint.  I didnt have a step ladder handy and I was in a hurry so I dragged a large flower pot over to step in.  That wasnt high enough so I put a box in it for more height.

Anyway, wow what a hot mess.  Im going to find a very compact step ladder and find a way to secure it in the bed.  Otherwise I dont know how I could even perform routine maintenance while traveling.  I can barely reach the dipstick.

Why in the world are the engine bays so tall?  It seems completely unnecessary.

I agree, I am 6'2" and it is a PITA to check the oil in my Tahoe and 1500.

On the HD's, it is almost to the point to have access to the dipstick through a panel in the fender well.

I bought an awesome flashlight once and every time I stared into the lens it burnt the hell out of my eyes! It was ridiculous. 

I don’t understand the point of threads like this, sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's even worse trying to reach the dipstick in my 2019 Raptor, but my 2008 2500HD wasn't much better.  I carry a collapsible stool in a tote in the bed for those times that I need it.  An old bed sheet works well to drape over the fender to avoid scratches.  A sheet is large enough to throw over the fender and stay where you put it.  I wouldn't trade the truck for the convenience of checking oil in a smaller vehicle. These trucks can do far more work than any of their predissors.

6 hours ago, Limelight said:

I bought an awesome flashlight once and every time I stared into the lens it burnt the hell out of my eyes! It was ridiculous. 

I don’t understand the point of threads like this, sorry. 

Because he can't buy a new "normal sized" 1960 3/4 ton?

:crackup:

Tip for ya. Don't weld if you can't handle a flashlight.

:rollin:

Let him vent. He ain't hurt' n no body.

I ripped GM on the hood/front end design in my customer feedback survey.  

They go through all this hooplah about easy access to the super high bed, even throwing in those nifty side steps.  Yet they completely neglect how to actually get inside the engine bay without having scaffolding available.  

8 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I ripped GM on the hood/front end design in my customer feedback survey.  

They go through all this hooplah about easy access to the super high bed, even throwing in those nifty side steps.  Yet they completely neglect how to actually get inside the engine bay without having scaffolding available.  

Do you really think GM wants you under there?  Dealer work makes them money. 

I doubt its even on their list  At all. 

Why in the hell did you buy it if you don't like the looks or the design? These trucks cost too much money to buy on a whim and then have buyers remorse.  A little home work is in order before making a major purchase.

• Like 2

It's to make it's easier to slide under to drain oil and change filter without having to use a jack/lift.  :)

Grill is taller (on HD's) to permit the larger diameter fan and taller radiator needed to get the cooling required to obtain the higher tow ratings in the SAE test. 

The larger fan also resulted in the new separate belt to drive just the fan.

Yes, it seems like this is the one that creates the idle 'thump' noise. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, unit said:

Why in the hell did you buy it if you don't like the looks or the design? These trucks cost too much money to buy on a whim and then have buyers remorse.  A little home work is in order before making a major purchase.

Oh its perfect for me, dont get me wrong.  I can still be critical of the things I dont like about it.    The front end is unanimously disliked but I was easily won over by everything else.   If I cared about looks I never would have bought it.  I didnt like it enough I never test drove it, but being devils advocate I did and I was pleasantly surprised!

Considering the numbers being sold, I doubt the front end is unanimously disliked -  I think it's gorgeous from any angle.  It is a big change for GM and that's good - these trucks hadn't seen a major change for a long time and they were getting long in the tooth.  I really like the looks of the Ford Super Duties and the Ram 1500's but the Ram HD's haven't been upgraded to the new body styles yet so not so much for the Ram HD's. 

That's what Jiffy Lube is for.  At my age (I'm at 6 ft 3 so height isn't as much an issue) I don't do my oil changes anymore.  I swing by my Jiffy Lube, they check ALL the levels and top off as necessary, no charge.  Maybe a business in your area will do likewise, especially if you're a consistent customer.  I take my three trucks to the same shop.  My thoughts.

Doesn't matter whether you change the oil yourself or have it done, oil level should be checked between oil changes.  Failure to do so can lead to serious engine damage.  Bad things can happen.