Power Folding Mirrors

So I recently purchased an LTZ with the power folding mirrors.  I knew before I made the purchase that the truck wouldn't fit through my garage doors with the mirrors extended.  So I have to fold them in every time I park in my garage and then unfold them every time I leave.  I am just wondering if doing this daily will kill the motors.  Not that I have a whole lot of choice in the matter.  If they break I'll just have to fix them.  More curious is anyone here had any experience with GM folding mirror issues.  Thanks. 

Electric motors typically burn out because they overheat, otherwise they last for thousands of hours without any maintenance or attention.  The motors in the mirrors run for a very short time and are unlikely to burnout.  Most likely problem would be damage to the gearing, which seems unlikely in normal usage because they can be folded manually without any harm to the mirror.  Use them as needed - they'll probably last for a very long time.

Edited by unit

• 2 months later...

Yes, they will break.  There is a tiny plastic gear in there (same exact one used in the previous generation).  The gear teeth are like .050" tall, very thin, and mesh with a metal gear.  So yes, that same plastic gear that has plagued the previous gen is still in there all the same, so do a quick search and you will find that will also break.  The motors also die, but more often the plastic gear fails.  The plastic gear fails faster if you manually fold, since that overloads the mechanism.  

The good news is there is a metal gear / higher torque motor fix for these and the install on this latest generation is VERY easy.  The trim getting the mirror apart is much easier than on the previous generation and the drive unit itself is similar but has a plastic cover on it as opposed to metal.  The plastic cover can be easily pried off the drive unit and the gears/motor accessed.

Make sure to also replace the OEM motor but retain the circuit board in that new drive unit.  The OEM motor absolutely WILL NOT work with a metal spur gear.  IT will short out the BCM, which costs roughly $1,000 and is a real headache to diagnose and replace.

Look at 1st product here :

https://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

• Like 3

I too got power folding mirrors and specifically so people wont take my mirror out....where I live streets are tight and these things stick way out....my 1500 got its mirror taken out in first month and it was parked on street....

what I am wondering though is their a way that they can automatically fold and unfold when truck is started and turned off?.....seems like their would be a way to do this with a connector or something

I too got power folding mirrors and specifically so people wont take my mirror out....where I live streets are tight and these things stick way out....my 1500 got its mirror taken out in first month and it was parked on street....

what I am wondering though is their a way that they can automatically fold and unfold when truck is started and turned off?.....seems like their would be a way to do this with a connector or something
Hold the door lock button for a few seconds and they will fold in. Hold the unlock button for them to unfold.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

damn really?...on the FOB or inside truck or either
You don't have to be in the truck to do it. You can use the FOB to do it while walking up to it if you want

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

that sucks my truck doesn't have that feature even though I have conv 2 pkg and premium infotainment.....just looked through manual and found it in "comfort and convienence".....when I open that up all I have is chime volume, nothing for mirrors

and I tried the fob and nothing, as well as inside the vehicle

probably have to have LTZ or HC

My mirrors on my 2017 2500HD were power folding and the passenger side wouldn't fold in all the way most of the time by the end (65k miles) and the drivers mirror would not fold at all the odd time. The motors worked fine, but the gear inside would skip. And I RARELY used them as I live in the country and rarely have to worry about city traffic.