group, purchased 19 silverado LT new style 1500, shocks seem a bit soft ..truck bounces around over bad roads

Any suggestions on shocks/struts ??   i read where someone put bags in rear to help when towing, im not towing though

scott

40 minutes ago, chieffie said:

group, purchased 19 silverado LT new style 1500, shocks seem a bit soft ..truck bounces around over bad roads

Any suggestions on shocks/struts ??   i read where someone put bags in rear to help when towing, im not towing though

scott

Probably not soft shocks, just the opposite stiff leaf springs, so little travel from the shocks.

If bought new give it at least 1K miles before evaluating harshness.....also if large tires like 22s might want to get a road force balance under warranty after about 500 miles. My RST with 22s jumped around like a jackrabbit especially starting out heavy throttle out of a turn and rough on concrete roadways when new. Road Force balance took out a lot of the "hop" and breaking in of the shocks and leaf springs did the rest.

After the first 1-2K it behaves like a real cruiser.....'19s handling is more responsive and ride much smoother than my '16 Z71 with all terrain 18s.

You are not the only one to wonder about the bouncy ride.

2019 Crew Cab Silverado LT 5.3 2WD with 18" wheels

Not sure what it is, springs are too stiff and shocks too soft?

Also thought about tires, stock 18" Wranglers may not be very soft either.

This is with no real load just people, maybe a few hundred pounds in the bed would help....

I am good with a soft Cadillac ride or with a stiffer sporty ride but this is like the worst of both combined.

I am 5K miles into this ride.

It does not ride anywhere near as good as my 2014 Crew Cab Silverado LT 5.3 2WD with 20" wheels.

Maybe that 300 lbs they removed didn't help the ride.

haya,  we have same rides but mine is extended cab , mine has 6500 on clock and seems so soft with just me and wife..

normal bumps seem ok, it is smooth on a smooth road though

scott

Small road disturbances like road joints, cracks, and small pot holes seem way more noticeable that they should and more noticeable than my 2014.

If no one really offers a solution, I will figure something out.

Originally, I thought that Denali/High Country leaf springs may help but not so sure after reading up on them.

get some aftermarket shocks......eibach, fox, kings, or whatever your comfort level is financially

manufacture always generate towards masses.....you can  fix the ride pretty easily though, bit of research and your budget will net good results.....

stock trucks are usually oversprung with soft shocks.....in which you want opposite.....softer spring and more dampening

22in rims wont have the best ride....you have no cushion so if your suspension isn't right you will feel everything.....your tires are suspension as well...

Edited by Dunn

I think the stock suspention too stiff for the soft shocks causing what you feel. Exactly like said a set of shocks should help. I think a  pair of bilsteins in the rear will help a ton and wont break the bank. Or look into the eibach for front and rear, still decent but not super expensive either.

they are probably hydro shocks and can easily be pushed by hand thru the travel, but it doesn't represent how they work on a vehicle however I doubt they are firm with lot of valving......designed for comfort mainly

the Eibachs are monotubes  and I am sure will be great.....just about anything is gonna be upgrade over OEM....if you want the truck to feel like a truck anyways.

Edited by Dunn

What wheels/tires and air pressure? 

(didn't look it up, but am assuming LT has optional sizes available)

They have significant impact on ride. 

Last 1500 I had was on factory 20's, but also had a set of factory 18" take-offs that were used in winter. 

Winter set-up provided better ride, even if noisier with a blockier tread pattern.

Summer set-up provided better cornering and fuel mileage, but rode noticeably firmer.  

All that said, 1500's have a relatively bouncy ride. 

One of the reasons I'm back in a 2500.

Edited by redwngr