Help! Wheels and tires/ truck drives like garbage.

7 minutes ago, smrr1 said:

What everyone else said. 

Cheap level kit hurts the ride

Smaller side wall tire hurts the ride

Mud tire design hurts the ride

LT rated tire hurts the ride

Wheel/tire set up weight hurts the ride

Something you may want to check is if the shop installed hub-centric rings. If they didn't that will contribute also. 

Change to a p rated all terrain tire closer to a stock size. Double check the hub ring. Road force balance. Doing those things will probably fix you right up. If not pull the level kit and put the factory wheels back on. Why would you trade it in? You said it was great before the changes. 

I really appreciate all of the help everyone. Any idea on what size tire I would be best with? 

30 minutes ago, Nathan Banga said:

I really appreciate all of the help everyone. Any idea on what size tire I would be best with? 

Stock 275/60/20 or 1 size taller 275/65/20. Both sizes have some p rated all terrain tires available. Taller would help with providing more sidewall. The wider tires look cool but contribute to your problem too. The wider the patch the more ground you come into contact with. They track the road and subject to more rough surface. 

I have run Nitto Terra Grapplers for years with no issues on multiple vehicles. They are the G2 version now. They will not look as “cool” as your mud terrains but will ride way better. 

Edited by smrr1

2 minutes ago, Nathan Banga said:

Would these be a good match. They seem to have really good reviews. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 8.26.51 AM.png

Those would be ultra smooth like a car. I highly recommend those to anyone but if you want some off road look a mild all terrain will still ride fine. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Banga said:

I want an all terrain tire but I also want to keep the stock ride, so I will be going with Ridge Grappler 275/60R20 Non-LT rating, or Terra Grappler 275/65r20 Non-LT rating. I think the good year duratrac comes in a 275/60r20 non-LT tire which would probably be the largest non LT mud tire you can fine. 

I will also be going with a simple 1” level in the front to avoid ride quality as much as possible.

(Here is a picture that I saved from a forum member of the Ridge Grappler tires that I was referring to)

188E9368-51A6-451F-8A98-F6F4EED4494D.jpeg

4 hours ago, smrr1 said:

Those would be ultra smooth like a car. I highly recommend those to anyone but if you want some off road look a mild all terrain will still ride fine. 

Michelin Defenders are excellent tires.  I have them on my F250 and they are super quiet and super smooth on the highway.  I will most likely be putting them on my 2020 Z71 when the Brigestone Duelers wear out, but the Duelers have been excellent and quiet tires so far as well.

Update. After a really really bad experience at discount tire getting the new tires installed it’s all done. Went with those Michelin’s. Definitely doesn’t look as good but drives like a million dollars now. If anyone’s in the market for those tires with 3,000 miles or the original ltz 20s with wheels tires and sensors I’ll take best offer, located not too far from Chicago. Thanks again for all your help everyone! 

54159E6A-FDE5-4BBB-87BF-E011F66241D8.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheTicketTX said:

Get rid of the garbage RC lift and throw some eibachs on there (if you’re going conservative - pro truck lift system). And of course 20’s/22’s w/ mud tires going to be loud AF. 

This!

You took a 50k vehicle and put a POS lift on it. You're not the only one on here, but RC is the laughing stock of the off-road world. Are the shocks mono? You don't ever take OEM parts off a truck only to put on vastly inferior parts. Not trying to be an elitist and I see people on here do it often, but RC is a joke of a company. No quicker way to kill the ride quality than to slap on a RC lift. Everyone with a RC lift that tells you they like the ride is FOS and has buyers remorse but are in too deep to admit they should have ponied up the extra money. 

I don't know exactly what is in a RC 2" suspension lift, but if it were me, I'd take it off and invest in a decent set of shocks/struts/springs if you want the 2" lift. Your wheels and tires are not the problem. A proper 4-6" lift for one of these trucks is close to 5k after you buy coilovers, aftermarket UCA's, tires etc. Those who are trying to save a couple grand on what is overall a 50k-55k investment... well, you do the math. Too much really good stuff out there to ever run RC anything. There's other garbage companies out there as well but RC is the king. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nathan Banga said:

Update. After a really really bad experience at discount tire getting the new tires installed it’s all done. Went with those Michelin’s. Definitely doesn’t look as good but drives like a million dollars now. If anyone’s in the market for those tires with 3,000 miles or the original ltz 20s with wheels tires and sensors I’ll take best offer, located not too far from Chicago. Thanks again for all your help everyone! 

54159E6A-FDE5-4BBB-87BF-E011F66241D8.jpeg

That was quick! Sucks you had a bad experience but sounds like the outcome was what you wanted. 

1 hour ago, superhighsierra said:

This!

You took a 50k vehicle and put a POS lift on it. You're not the only one on here, but RC is the laughing stock of the off-road world. Are the shocks mono? You don't ever take OEM parts off a truck only to put on vastly inferior parts. Not trying to be an elitist and I see people on here do it often, but RC is a joke of a company. No quicker way to kill the ride quality than to slap on a RC lift. Everyone with a RC lift that tells you they like the ride is FOS and has buyers remorse but are in too deep to admit they should have ponied up the extra money. 

I don't know exactly what is in a RC 2" suspension lift, but if it were me, I'd take it off and invest in a decent set of shocks/struts/springs if you want the 2" lift. Your wheels and tires are not the problem. A proper 4-6" lift for one of these trucks is close to 5k after you buy coilovers, aftermarket UCA's, tires etc. Those who are trying to save a couple grand on what is overall a 50k-55k investment... well, you do the math. Too much really good stuff out there to ever run RC anything. There's other garbage companies out there as well but RC is the king. 

I think most people can agree that RC isn't the top of the line suspension company, but it's also not as bad as you make it out to be.  There are plenty of people who are happy with their RC suspension setup and have zero complaints.  In this case the suspension wasn't the problem, it was the tires.  If somebody is happy with a product you think is inferior, thats A-O-K, let them be happy with it and don't brow beat them for it.  They aren't 16, and your not their father :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

This!

What kind of off-roading are you doing ? I’ve got a RC kit on 35’s and have had zero issues with it. It gets me the clearance I need to get to my hunting camp, fishing spots, and to have the occasional spur of the moment exploration down old logging roads. Some people don’t need to drop $2k+ on a suspension that will never get get any real use. So go ahead and praise your pretty boy suspension, but don’t go bashing the people that buy the “POS” rough country kits, which have absolutely nothing wrong with them. To top it off I had a Titan XD that was nothing but issues. Ended up tearing a cv axle boot of which the dealership denied warranty due to the rough country lift. I contacted rough country and they OVERNIGHTED me a check covering the full $900 for parts and labor. They are a good group of people, that supply products to people who don’t want to throw thousands more into an already expensive truck. 

I’m very happy with my RC 3” lift, and my 10 ply tires. I honestly feel the truck rides and handles better than stock and it’s like glass even up to 100+ mph. I’m running Nitto Terra Grapplers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathan Banga said:

I have stock Michelin primacy ltx or utx (?)and they are butter on pavement....always heard good things about Michelins or like others said just a less aggressive tire like an all terrain.....the 2 inch spacer is also stiffening up front end as well....an adjustable strut is better way to go provided you don't crank em up to max.....maybe attack one thing at a time and see where your @ afterwards

obviously you have spent some money so hate to lose it all......the eibach kit is very good and would probably help

Edited by Dunn