Help! Wheels and tires/ truck drives like garbage.

A spacer lift doesn't change the ride unless it is a preload set up which most aren't. RC, Ebay Motofab or CST, all are the exact same. It doesn't change the spring rate, it doesn't change the shock setting, all it changes is the travel amount. So unless the complaint is knocking or bottoming out over bumps the spacer isn't the problem. Those on some type of high horse need to step off that, your $3k suspension or coil over lift while better in many cases won't do anything for a street truck. If someone is happy with the stock suspension set up doing with one of those kits might make them more unhappy. As the OP noted it was all in the tires, E load mud tire is going to ride bad, combined with a larger rim and smaller tire does that. He fixed it, end of discussion. Those that are saying it was the spacer have no idea what they are talking about and just trying to sell something that they have no idea how the competition works...

Glad it worked out OP, that is why you do homework before buying next time.

Tyler

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gangly said:

I think most people can agree that RC isn't the top of the line suspension company, but it's also not as bad as you make it out to be.  There are plenty of people who are happy with their RC suspension setup and have zero complaints.  In this case the suspension wasn't the problem, it was the tires.  If somebody is happy with a product you think is inferior, thats A-O-K, let them be happy with it and don't brow beat them for it.  They aren't 16, and your not their father :)

At the end of the day this forum is a source of information. And it should be known that you put inferior components on your truck that sacrificed the ride quality. Whether you did that knowingly or unknowingly is irrelevant. I'm just trying to help future half ton owners, not make the same mistake you did. Nobody's father, just a lot of misinformation to sift through on these boards. 

Don't shoot the messenger. 

4 hours ago, Ksalway said:

What kind of off-roading are you doing ? I’ve got a RC kit on 35’s and have had zero issues with it. It gets me the clearance I need to get to my hunting camp, fishing spots, and to have the occasional spur of the moment exploration down old logging roads. Some people don’t need to drop $2k+ on a suspension that will never get get any real use. So go ahead and praise your pretty boy suspension, but don’t go bashing the people that buy the “POS” rough country kits, which have absolutely nothing wrong with them. To top it off I had a Titan XD that was nothing but issues. Ended up tearing a cv axle boot of which the dealership denied warranty due to the rough country lift. I contacted rough country and they OVERNIGHTED me a check covering the full $900 for parts and labor. They are a good group of people, that supply products to people who don’t want to throw thousands more into an already expensive truck. 

Pretty boy suspension? Lol. At the end of the day these are just machines. Would you put a 12 year old alternator in your new truck? Would you put a 7 year old battery? Whether you understand it's the same thing is irrelevant. Again, I'm just trying to help the masses from making the same mistake you made. 

If you put a 6" lift & 35's on your truck and knowingly did so for only aesthetic purposes, good on ya. However I'm guessing you fall in line of those who put inferior components on your vehicle, killed the ride quality for a couple inches ride height and are protecting your own decision making (or lack there of). 

My message:

If you had enough money to buy a '19 o '20 T1, save your sheckles and buy a proper lift. Don't try to save a couple bucks and essentially ruin your 50k investment. Your front struts/springs are an EXTREMELY important component of your 50k machine. 

That is all. Have a nice day. 

C'mon man, we all know that half the people that buy these trucks can't even afford the payment unless they take out a 72 or 84 month loan. Gotta have that new truck though..............

Also gotta have their first house be $350,000-$400,000 on a 40-50 year loan because ballin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

the internet is vast array of different people with different experiences, perceptions and expectations....no way to decipher which of these anyone falls into.....you give them options and experiences and they take it from there.....live and learn

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

C'mon man, we all know that half the people that buy these trucks can't even afford the payment unless they take out a 72 or 84 month loan. Gotta have that new truck though..............

Also gotta have their first house be $350,000-$400,000 on a 40-50 year loan because ballin.

350k......cant touch anything for under 600k in the hood here....you can leave here but you cant come back, lol

but living beyond means is American made...

there wouldn't even be 80k trucks available if only people who could afford cash or 3 yr loans bought them.....or anything for that matter....we invented consumerism, lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

At the end of the day this forum is a source of information. And it should be known that you put inferior components on your truck that sacrificed the ride quality. Whether you did that knowingly or unknowingly is irrelevant. I'm just trying to help future half ton owners, not make the same mistake you did. Nobody's father, just a lot of misinformation to sift through on these boards. 

If you put a 6" lift & 35's on your truck and knowingly did so for only aesthetic purposes, good on ya. However I'm guessing you fall in line of those who put inferior components on your vehicle, killed the ride quality for a couple inches ride height and are protecting your own decision making (or lack there of). 

If you had enough money to buy a '19 o '20 T1, save your sheckles and buy a proper lift. Don't try to save a couple bucks and essentially ruin your 50k investment. Your front struts/springs are an EXTREMELY important component of your 50k machine. 

1.  Funny of you to assume I put a RC lift on my truck..I didn't. 

2.  Since you want to be the bearer of information in a sea of misinformation, please inform everybody as to what exactly what makes the RC such a horrible lift.  In this case specifically, he complimented the ride with his new tires and the lift is serving its purpose as well, so obviously the lift wasn't an issue. Since you brow beat him for his RC lift under the guise of providing information while sorting through the misinformation, please inform us all how he is worse off now that his truck has the stance he wants, the handling he wanted, and the smoothness he was looking for, at the price point he found acceptable. 

3.  Shaming another individual for how they spend their money is extremely immature and shows a level of tact that would probably be beneath you in most situations, but I guess not on a public forum.  It would behoove all of us in most instances to be respectful of other people's financial decisions with THEIR money. 

• Like 4

Pretty boy suspension? Lol. At the end of the day these are just machines. Would you put a 12 year old alternator in your new truck? Would you put a 7 year old battery? Whether you understand it's the same thing is irrelevant. Again, I'm just trying to help the masses from making the same mistake you made. 

My message:

Since you have obviously done your due diligence here... if someone were starting from scratch and wanted a leveling kit or something in that height range, 2” up front 1” in the rear or something similar. What’s the go to? Obviously not sacrificing ride quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you have obviously done your due diligence here... if someone were starting from scratch and wanted a leveling kit or something in that height range, 2” up front 1” in the rear or something similar. What’s the go to? Obviously not sacrificing ride quality.

If you want to lift it properly for offroad purposes then you should get an add a leaf or new leaf pack in the rear and a coil over setup in the front. 2” might be ok where you won’t mess up the CV angles and won’t need a new UCA. If you want it for looks, a 1” block in the rear isn’t that bad, but 2” block up front is too much in my opinion because it’ll take away 2” of travel on your shock which will cause your shock to max out easily. So get a simple strut and coil swap that isn’t as expensive as an adjustable coil over setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CP312 said:

Depends how much you want to spend? I'd run extended struts in the front with aftermarket springs & UCA's. And I'd upgrade the rear shocks and run a +1 deaver leaf. That would give you the best ride. But that will also cost you about 3k if you install it all yourself. That's a lot of shillings for a couple inches here and an inch there. Also that also will change the geometry of your suspension and will exert more pressure on things like your CV axels, ball joints, etc. My suggestion would be either not to touch it, or only run a 1" spacer in the front (which will affect the ride quality, but very minimally and will cost you all of $50) if you only want to level it solely for the "look." 

FWIW I wouldn't put a lift on it unless you want to go with at least a 6" lift and be running 37" tires (35's look like roller skates). And then you are going to run into a whole other can of worms in regards to power loss with heavier tires and a lack of aerodynamics and trimming a considerable portion off of your 50k truck. If you are lifting it 6" you should also be re-gearing (regardless of what anyone says on here) which is another 1k to 1.5k and you have to do a speedometer recalibration (another 300 bucks), camera recalibration, etc. And even at the end of the day, you could dump 10 grand into a "custom lift" and it would drive like a million bucks for a "lifted vehicle" but in all reality any lifted truck over a couple inches is going to drive like $hit in comparison to stock. And that is not touching on things like road noise from bigger tires, turning radius, and the fact that 99% of people with 6" of lift have a vehicle that squeaks or makes some annoying noise that it shouldn't be making

These trucks just aren't meant to be lifted so everything is going to be a give and take. If money is a factor, I'd wait until you put 50k miles on your current suspension and your truck is paid off. Easier to justify 4 grand on an upgraded suspension all around and a nice set of 35" tires, even if it only yields you a couple inches. AMO. 

Edited by superhighsierra
  • Like 1

@CP312 forgot to mention that if you don’t have a Trail Boss/AT4, you can always buy the GM factory lift which has new CV axles to accommodate the lift and longer struts up front, then just do a 1” block in the rear to level and you probably won’t need a longer rear shock for 1” of lift.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, superhighsierra said:

Depends how much you want to spend? I'd run extended struts in the front with aftermarket springs & UCA's. And I'd upgrade the rear shocks and run a +1 deaver leaf. That would give you the best ride. But that will also cost you about 3k if you install it all yourself. That's a lot of shillings for a couple inches here and an inch there. Also that also will change the geometry of your suspension and will exert more pressure on things like your CV axels, ball joints, etc. My suggestion would be either not to touch it, or only run a 1" spacer in the front (which will affect the ride quality, but very minimally and will cost you all of $50) if you only want to level it solely for the "look." 

FWIW I wouldn't put a lift on it unless you want to go with at least a 6" lift and be running 37" tires (35's look like roller skates). And then you are going to run into a whole other can of worms in regards to power loss with heavier tires and a lack of aerodynamics and trimming a considerable portion off of your 50k truck. If you are lifting it 6" you should also be re-gearing (regardless of what anyone says on here) which is another 1k to 1.5k and you have to do a speedometer recalibration (another 300 bucks), camera recalibration, etc. And even at the end of the day, you could dump 10 grand into a "custom lift" and it would drive like a million bucks for a "lifted vehicle" but in all reality any lifted truck over a couple inches is going to drive like $hit in comparison to stock. 

These trucks just aren't meant to be lifted so everything is going to be a give and take. If money is a factor, I'd wait until you put 50k miles on your current suspension and your truck is paid off. Easier to justify 4 grand on an upgraded suspension all around and a nice set of 35" tires, even if it only yields you a couple inches. AMO. 

Good luck running 37's on a 6" lift. 

10 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Good luck running 37's on a 6" lift. 

Not a current gen half ton, but you get the idea. With trimming, backspacing and aftermarket UCA's you can make it happen. Might need a body lift... Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done...

Edited by superhighsierra

3 hours ago, CP312 said:

I’m wanting to do this...and after researching, it seems like safest route and if you like current stock ride...the trail boss 2” lift, then swap the 2” rear block with a 1” block.