Exhaust recommendations.

I have a dynomax cat-back with the ultraflo muffler I think. To me it sounds good and it's not noisy in the cab at all. At warm hot idle to be honest you can't really hear if there is a lot of background noise. 550rpm won't really make it rumble lol. Driving it under load is where you do.

I went one step further and painted my exhaust before install because even though it's stainless, it's the cheaper stainless that will still surface rust.

• Thanks 1

What's your budget?

I have the Borla S type catback system. Duals straight out the back. It sounds real good. Not too loud. But loud enough. At hwy speed it's not loud at all in the cab. Under load she growls though.

Lifetime warranty. All stainless steel. Around $929

It's all a matter of opinion on what sound you like.

There are lots of quality systems out there. Corsa was second on my list.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324050550255

Not to mention it looks badass

image000000_09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i test drove a 2020 5.3l with GM's performance exhaust on it. they told me it was equivalent and made by borla to thier middle setup - touring i think. Nice exterior idle sound, nice sound accelerating but just cruising wasnt any louder than stock - i got out on the interstate with it worried the v4 mode would fudge with things but no drone no weird noises just quietness. stomp on it she growled nicely.

I plan to get the same dual out on my 18 when funds allow.

Borla or Corsa for longevity and quality. Borla for a sportier sound, corsa for the rumbly growl. I have the GMPP Borla. it's supposed to be touring but it definitely is louder than the Borla touring (non-GMPP). Has flapper so no chop in V4. I should have gotten the Corsa ahahaah. 

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, it depends on your budget. If you want to do something very affordably, just have a good muffler shop cut out the stock muffler and put something less restrictive in. I had them remove the stock muffler and flapper and install a Flowmaster 50 series Delta flow. It has a much better sound than stock but doesn't get your attention at all or ever get obnoxious. Can hardly tell it's not factory when you're cruising. Most guys that change exhaust want something a lot louder than this but it is exactly what I was looking for. Find a good exhaust shop that can advise you on how to get the result you are looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust for my truck (#140797BC). My dad has a Corsa exhaust on his truck and I don't really like Corsa's sound so that's why I went with Borla instead. I also chose to do single side exit, dual tips, because I don't like how the Chevy trucks don't scallop their bumpers for dual exhaust out the rear - just looks funky to me sitting so far below the rear bumper. Also a lot of the older RST/Premiere models in the Tahoes have this same side exit dual pipe look and that's what drew me to this look. Glad they changed it up on the T1's even though I think they're fugly as hell.

Highly recommend this exhaust even though it's on the louder end of the spectrum for most people. It will piss off the neighbors if you cold start it at 5am but the idle is music to my ears. Has a great harmonic. It really wakes up when I step on the gas. 80mph cruise control it barely purrs but you can feel it a little in the floor boards. It's nice. 60-65mph and under cruise control, can't hear it can't feel it. No cabin drone. My AFM is disabled with a Range device so no flapper chopper sound. Ugh, is work over yet so I can go waste fuel mileage???

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 8:59 PM, dieselfan1 said:

What's your budget?

I have the Borla S type catback system. Duals straight out the back. It sounds real good. Not too loud. But loud enough. At hwy speed it's not loud at all in the cab. Under load she growls though.

Lifetime warranty. All stainless steel. Around $929

It's all a matter of opinion on what sound you like.

There are lots of quality systems out there. Corsa was second on my list.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324050550255

Not to mention it looks badass

image000000_09.jpg

Agree with everything that Diesel said.....the S-Type was perfect for me.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, OH Bear said:

Like others have said, it depends on your budget. If you want to do something very affordably, just have a good muffler shop cut out the stock muffler and put something less restrictive in. I had them remove the stock muffler and flapper and install a Flowmaster 50 series Delta flow. It has a much better sound than stock but doesn't get your attention at all or ever get obnoxious. Can hardly tell it's not factory when you're cruising. Most guys that change exhaust want something a lot louder than this but it is exactly what I was looking for. Find a good exhaust shop that can advise you on how to get the result you are looking for. 

This is what I am doing, except going with a 40 series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, xSHIFTxNASTYx said:

I went with the Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust for my truck (#140797BC). My dad has a Corsa exhaust on his truck and I don't really like Corsa's sound so that's why I went with Borla instead. I also chose to do single side exit, dual tips, because I don't like how the Chevy trucks don't scallop their bumpers for dual exhaust out the rear - just looks funky to me sitting so far below the rear bumper. Also a lot of the older RST/Premiere models in the Tahoes have this same side exit dual pipe look and that's what drew me to this look. Glad they changed it up on the T1's even though I think they're fugly as hell.

Highly recommend this exhaust even though it's on the louder end of the spectrum for most people. It will piss off the neighbors if you cold start it at 5am but the idle is music to my ears. Has a great harmonic. It really wakes up when I step on the gas. 80mph cruise control it barely purrs but you can feel it a little in the floor boards. It's nice. 60-65mph and under cruise control, can't hear it can't feel it. No cabin drone. My AFM is disabled with a Range device so no flapper chopper sound. Ugh, is work over yet so I can go waste fuel mileage???

I am considering going with the Borla ATAK system as well. How does it sound when the engine cuts back to 4 cylinders?

1 hour ago, J.H.2015LT said:

I am considering going with the Borla ATAK system as well. How does it sound when the engine cuts back to 4 cylinders?

i wish they had a side exit crew cab standard box option. I suppose i could always just add in a spacer piece. 

19 hours ago, J.H.2015LT said:

I have no idea since I'm using a Range AFM device to disable the cylinder deactivation. I have heard, though, that it sounds like an angry helicopter following you when it drops to 4 cylinders.

OP - First think you need to know is: Are you keeping cylinder deactivation or not?

If you are keeping it then be ready for the helicopter chop if you go with a system that eliminates the valve.

If you will turn it off and never go back then any catback will work, no chopper noise.

• 2 months later...