Real world mpg

Looking at getting a crew cab Elevation in the standard box with the 5.3. I test drove this truck and it seemed like for a full size pickup, I was getting around 14-15 city and 18-21 freeway. Granted, this was only a 30 minute test drive in a brand new, non broken in motor. I’d be happy with those numbers...is this typical for this motor? 

I’m also debating the new ram 1500 crew cab big horn. How does this 5.3 compare to the 5.7 hemi ram as far as mpg and reliability/drivability? I haven’t test driven the ram yet but from stories I hear, some people are avg 13  mpg on the ram while others are up to 19 combined??? 

I would think you could even do

better than those numbers. 8 or 10 speed. 

I drove 230 miles of a mix highway at 75-80, regular roads and dirt roads with a little stop and go. Averaged 18. I have the 6.2 in a trail boss. 

Just drove 52 hours to California and back.  Mostly highway cruise control at 81-83 mph and got 19.6 mpg in a 2020 5.3 4WD with an 8spd.  I usually drive between 70 and 75 mph on the freeway and average right at 21 mpg.  This is in Houston, Texas, so being at sea level helps I'm sure.

Edited by Gangly

24 minutes ago, AsapAT4 said:

What’s real world gas mileage difference between the 5.3 and 6.2?

Let's say you would get 18 mpg avg over the lifetime of your truck with the 5.3. Now lets say you would have gotten 16 instead with 6.2 (most people say it's about a 2 mpg difference, least by what I've read).

Don't just look at the small number 2 and think it's insignificant. 2 out of 18 is 11 percent. If the difference is 3 mpg then you're looking at 15 percent.

10 to 15 percent over lifetime of your truck is significant. 5 year ownership at $3000/year of gas = approx $3200 difference in gas between the two engines, plus the initial cost to purchase it.

It’s funny that some people say “I go easy on it and still get 12mpg”. Those people will stay deep in the gas until they get 50’ from a red light, then slam on the brakes. Others coast to it or at least get off the gas earlier and get 20 average. So for the same engine, same truck, you will see lots of variation. It really depends on your driving style. My ‘19 6.2 10 speed I can get mid-20s on the highway easily. Also, cruise isn’t the big gas saver people make it out to be, especially in hilly terrain. 

Oh yeah, don’t buy the Dodge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AsapAT4 said:

What’s real world gas mileage difference between the 5.3 and 6.2?

I owned a 15 6.2 3.23 and then a 16 5.3 NHT  (so not the DFM's available today)

Mileage was very similar, doing the same job. 

With both I was disappointed when a hand-calc tank average was less than 20 usmpg.   

Of course if the usage for a tankful was a different blend of city / rural 2 lane / freeway / towing then the average would change. 

Edited by redwngr

2018 Silverado 1500. 5.3 liter, 3.42 rear end, 6 speed.

58 mile round trip commute which includes everything from stop and go in traffic to 75 MPH on 15 miles of Interstate with stop and go there too (I-10 Bayway over Mobile Bay).

On the Chevy app it shows 22.0 MPG lifetime at 23,603 miles. 400 mile average shows 24.3 this morning. I don't bother to hand calculate. 

I have a 2019 AT4 with 6.2 - I get 13-15 around town and 15-18 on the road.  I have averaged 14.6 mpg since the start (through 6,500 miles).  I have 2" level up front (still have stock 275/65/18 Duratrak's) - raising the front further, which probably hurts me on mileage on the road. 

No question if you are in the gas a lot, mileage will go down quickly.  I have never seen a tank over 18 mpg in the 6,500 miles I have on my truck, but have seen it for 50 miles sections here and there on the road.  I suspect if I drove for mileage I could add a 2-3 mpg to my stats, but the 6.2 is so fun to jump on, you just have to do it now and then!  

If you want the best fuel economy then get a truck with the V-6, otherwise it is not worth giving much thought. Add up all your costs for owning and operating a truck including purchase price, financing costs, tires, oil changes, insurance, accessories purchased, and repairs (tires, fuel pump, water pump, radiator, batteries) and parts, and then compare that to the amount you spend in a year on gasoline.

I read about guys buying the top of the line model with all the extra packages and chrome and paying an extra $10,000 as a result for their "truck". That $10,000 would cover their fuel costs for 60,000 miles of driving. Focus on the purchase price, including financing, and don't worry about the miles per gallon that is possible.

It is nearly impossible to get less than 40 miles per gallon with a Toyota Prius and most owners reports better than 45 miles per gallon but there are competitive owners who want bragging rights for high numbers and with careful legal driving get more than 60 miles per gallon with these same cars.

I had a 2017 5.3 and your numbers sound right. Lifetime was like 17mpg. I have a roughly 50:50 city/highway commute and live in a cold climate so I warned it up in the winter.

But yea, your 15 minute test drive was pretty indicative of the 5.3 fuel efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk