2016 Silverado starter motor failure

Has anyone else had what I would call "early" starter motor failure on their Sierra/Silverado?   I had it at about the 3 year mark on my 2016 Silverado, and had to have the vehicle towed to the dealer.   Ended up with a $650 repair, with what in my opinion is a defect.  Starters should last a heck of a lot longer than 3 years (under normal usage).  When I discussed this with the service manager, he had indicated his 2016 failed 3 months prior, so this doesn't appear to be uncommon (at least up here in Canada).   The excuse that GM gave is it was due to road salt corrosion... umm what?  You mean to tell me GM doesn't have competent enough engineers that would look at those types of scenarios on exposed brass connectors?   Not happy about it, and it definitely will impact the next truck decision, curious if others have had a similar failure.

Its the starter. There's a second version and its totally different internally. From opening and examining the one i replaced i can see salt/ corrosion escalating the issue at hand. Nothing you can do, but learn to work on your own. No way in hell I'd pay 700$ for a starter. Wait till you find out what problems guys on this site have. You'd flip s!+!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We've changed a bunch of them at work.  Low miles too.  Starter falls under bumper to bumper unless you've got a service contract that might cover it.  

Edited by newdude