Greetings ya'll, I've had my 2020 RST/Z71 6.2/10 for just over a month. I have 1200 miles on it and to date it's been a rock. I'm coming from a 2015 5.3 with AFM. So far the DFM is pretty smooth and I really can't tell if and when it kicks in. I typically drive the truck in "Sport" mode to get the better response. MPG is not a big concern to me.  I purchased a "Range" device that is label "AFM Disabler" but per their website also disables DFM.

Does anyone have one of these installed and have any feedback on it. I'm kind of hesitant to install it seeing as I can't quantify a "problem" to fix, and I always can put the shifter in "L" mode which will disable the DFM. So I'm really wondering if there is anything to gain form this, or if I should just let this engine do it's thing? 

Thanks in advance for any objective knowledge you can provide.

Pappy

I’ve had it for about 2 weeks now.  It’s a noticeable difference.  Definitely more responsive especially on the highway.  Truck sounds better too now that it’s always in V8...I’ve got a Borla s-type cat back and cold air intake.  It doesn’t sound like it’s drowning in water like when DFM would switch on.  However, it does amplify the decel popping/crackling due to the aftermarket exhaust.  Some people don’t like the popping/crackling so it’s worth noting.  Without the range dfm disabler, I hardly noticed the decel popping...idk maybe because DFM was enabled and it was in V4 mode?  I drive mostly city...with range I’m at 16mpg, prior I was at 17mpg.  Also, idk if it’s a byproduct or it’s secretly built in since they didn’t mention in the description is that auto stop/start is also disabled.  The button light is still emitted but the feature is disabled.  That was a nice surprise for me since I hate the auto stop/start.  I’m not sure about the other stuff they boast about like the longevity of the motor but I’ll take their word for it since it makes sense that the motor doesn’t need to work as hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one and it worked fine until I swapped out my gauge cluster to a Denali cluster. Something in the computer doesn't like the swap. I started having problems with door locks and different things. I sent it back to Range to have it programmed again and still the same problems. They are taking it back and giving me a refund on it. Like I said, it worked great until I swapped out the gauge cluster. These trucks are very sensitive when it comes to the computer.

Recently picked up a 2020 RST 6.2 / 10 Speed...coming from a 2007 4.8L Silverado (that is still going). From researching I didn't like anything about the AFM/DFM and looked into the Range DFM Disabler.  Ordered one directly from Range and "tried" to confirm with tech support that it would work on the 10 speed.  One tech hung up on me and the other told me it wouldn't work on the ten speed and pretty much hung up me after.  My last ditch effort was to complain on their Instagram page and I received a response within 20 minutes.  The rep wrote me and said he confirmed with tech support that they have a small percentage of units where 10 speed owners had issues but, for most it worked fine.  That was good enough for me and I plugged it in.  Have around 600 miles on it and there is no issues.  When it's not plugged in (installed AMP steps and need a splitter now) I can feel there is hesitation when launching and when stopping as well.  When it's plugged in it goes away and runs fine.  Unless there is an issue down the road I'll leave it plugged in forever.  Not easy to find current information about this, would recommend members order directly from Range.  With Amazon your not really sure how old these things are.     

• 2 months later...

I've had my Range DFM disabler for a week now.  In mostly in-town driving, but with some expressway driving in DFW, I've noticed a massive difference in feel, response, throttle, and even transmission consistency.  I've got a 5.3L with 8-speed, and I finally feel that it's being used for why I bought it. It's noticeably smoother as well. So far, there have not been any hiccups or issues, and the mileage loss is barely noticeable for me (thus far, at least).  

It's like I have a whole new truck, and as an added bonus, I no longer have to hit the Start/Stop button when I start up my truck.  5/5 so far!

I have the 5.3L/8 speed combo on a 2019 Sierra and I've had my Range device installed for about a week now and I'm pleased with it. I never really noticed the DFM doing it's thing until I propped open the exhaust flapper valve and covered the tailpipe resonator screens. I'm still planning on further modifying the exhaust but that's another discussion. The change in sound is what prompted me to try out the device but I do also notice slightly better throttle response. My commute is about 1/3 secondary roads and 2/3 highway and I've seen about 1 MPG loss overall. Others have mentioned some hard shifts when using the device but that hasn't been my experience at all. 

On 7/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

Works on my 6.2/10 speed fine.

Ryan B.

Can you check the firmware version on yours? TIA

Question
What Version do I have?
Answer
Modules manufactured after mid-2015 (version 7.1 and later) will blink a distinctive light pattern when plugged in (or waking from sleep).

1. First you'll see all of the LEDs cycle in sequence as it runs it's internal diagnostics and transitions to operational status.
  2. You'll see LED #4 (far left LED when plugged into the OBD2 port) BLINK the major Version number.
  3. You'll see LED #3 (2nd from the left LED) BLINK the minor Version number.

EXAMPLE:
Version 8.1 would blink LED #4 EIGHT (8) times with a small pause and then LED #3 ONE (1) time for 8 point 1.
NOTE: You will NOT see this pattern on early modules (Version 7 and earlier) and if this is the case, you should send the module to us for updating.

I added the Range DFM disabler to my 2020 Sierra 5.3, 10 speed, 4x4. I had previously added a GM Performance CAI and Borla S-type exhaust. The exhaust just sounded strange when the dfm kicked in, so I got the disabler. The truck sounds alot better now, but my mpg dropped from 22 to 19 with the disabler.

I guess the real question is what happens when it doesn't work like it should? What are the negative outcomes? Has anybody tried that it didn't go well? Exactly what is it that makes it not compatible?   

Range stated to me when I called they have seen the RPMs jump around while cruising and auto/start stop doesn’t work.

Ryan B.

On the DFM website it states not compatible with 2019+ 6.2 with 10 Spd. I own 2020 AT4 with 5.3 10spd, and was interested in this disabler a few months ago, I went to the website and tried the "will this fit your vehicle" and when I put vehicle info in and got to the transmission selection  there was no 10 Spd listed as an option to enter. I just went back to site today and 5.3 10spd is now listed as a fit. So it appears the problem regarding fitment is the 6.2 and not the 10spd. I would have thought the 10spd would have been the fitment issue not the engine size. Any 5.3 10spd guys out there running this disabler without any issues ?