2020 Steering Stabilizer

• 1 year later...

Just installed this kit today. I can't say I notice any more "firmness" in the steering wheel, however it is VERY noticeable how much less vibration and bump steer is reduced. I would recommend for sure, especially if you drive gravel roads and poorly maintained hiways like I do.

12 hours ago, Brozat4 said:

Just installed this kit today. I can't say I notice any more "firmness" in the steering wheel, however it is VERY noticeable how much less vibration and bump steer is reduced. I would recommend for sure, especially if you drive gravel roads and poorly maintained hiways like I do.

me experiences with it as well

I'm not sure on the progressive steering, my truck is a fully loaded 2020 AT4 HD so if it's an option I would assume I have it?

That being said, I believe it would be worth getting even at stock height for sure. Its an affordable upgrade and makes a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just my input, I'm looking to put a lift on my 2022 Denali 3500HD and when I asked if I should add that option on my BDS kit my guy said that the stabilizers are really for solid axle frontends when the wobble can be an issue. In his experience it only adds a resistance feel in the wheel and can actually feel like a bind in certain situations. He talked me out of it.

A "steering stabilizer" is not needed and only serves to mask the fact that the tires are out of balance or the suspension geometery is inncorrect. Both these symptoms will still destroy front end components just that the driver won't notice it until something fails completely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

is this opinion or fact.. Timmy?

I've have a steering stabilizer on a MBZ AMG go bad, the damn car would wander all over the road and track the grooves in the roads, i was constantly on the wheel correcting it.. then i ordered a new steering shock(stabilizer) , and to my amaiziment the car had re-gained "laser" like tracking in a straight line after test drive..

21 hours ago, It's Tim said:

A "steering stabilizer" is not needed and only serves to mask the fact that the tires are out of balance or the suspension geometery is inncorrect. Both these symptoms will still destroy front end components just that the driver won't notice it until something fails completely.

I will agree to an extent. You are forgetting about the bump steer though. You know, that pesky thing when you crossover pivot tracks in a corn field or going crosswise to corn rows or just plain ole ruts or our two lane sandhill roads. That's just me. Others will have worse conditions, I'm sure. To broadly say it's a balancing issue is looking at the world in a cereal box.

Some with trucks, use trucks.

pivot track.jpg

sandhill road.jpg

• Like 1

I installed a suspension max bracket and a non pressurized rancho stabilizer on my truck. It helped on uneven roads or roads in poor shape. My truck has had one sense 2000 miles on oem tires. Now at 3800 miles with 35 inch ridge grapplers

I will say it helps not white knuckle the wheel on some of the roads i drive on. It certainly stopped a lot of clunk and took some of the floating numb dead space out of the steering wheel. I have full lock to lock on 35 inch tires no bind or forcing of the steering linkage truck is not leveled or lifted. For 160 bucks it made a good noticeable effect on how the truck drives now.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, It's Tim said:

so he has a point, but to clarify.

Steering stabilizers are meant for one purpose and that is to dampen shock loading or unloading of the vehicle's natural reactions to road imperfections. they will help reduce wear and tear on other suspension components as well over time. however they will not correct incorrect steering or suspension setups. 

They are most commonly used in SAS or SA rigs because of the notorious issues that plague a solid axle front end. people often try to use SS's to fix excessive bump steer  incorrect steering geometry or death wobble. those issues are normally associated with anything from mismatched tire sizes, tread, pressure to bad suspension components or just flat-out misalignments like caster ect...

In short an IFS rig can benefit from them but its usually minimal and just helps feel. there are cases  where they can help with oversized tires more so. 

• 2 months later...