Bought my dream truck, turned into a nightmare!

On my birthday in 2020, I purchased my dream truck, a brand new 2020 GMC Sierra crew cab regular bed with x31 off road package. 
My family and I have enjoyed owning many GM products over the years. My father owns two Chevrolet SIlverado 2500HD Duramax diesel's, both of which were purchased brand new in 2005 and 2007. My brother purchased a new Chevrolet Tahoe in 2005 and put over 250 thousand miles on it. As for myself, I have owned a Tahoe Z71, two Chevrolet Suburbans and a white 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax diesel. That GMC had 275 thousand miles on it and was recently sold in order to make room for my dream truck. That truck is a 2020 GMC Sierra in the same color, white. I chose this vehicle over Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Ram, as my faith in the GM product was huge. I have trusted my GM trucks to enjoy our family road trips, camping weekends and the hauling of my boat and travel trailers. Thousands of miles of reliably and safely transporting my family encouraged me to continue the relationship with GM. That is why I purchased the 2020 Sierra. 

Eight days after the purchase of the 2020 Sierra, I loaded up my family for our annual camping trip. It was an exciting day for my family and I as it was the first experience we had to bond with the new truck. We had begun the five hour drive to our destination and not five minutes in to the trip, the check engine light began flashing for aproximately 20 seconds. I contacted OnStar to gather diagnostic information, but nothing was available. I considered it a one off situation and continued driving. When we were three and a half hours from home, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I contacted OnStar and they retrieved a trouble code P0300, random misfire. I then called the nearby GMC dealer in Redding, CA to schedule the drop off of my truck. My father and brother were caravaning behind me in their trucks and they noticed my Sierra smoking heavily on deceleration. It was determined that the issue was concerning enough for me to take a rental for the week long trip and leave my new truck with the dealership. Mind you I had my boat in tow, truck bed filled with firewood and camping gear, etc. We spent two hours transfering all of our supplies in 110 degree heat from the new truck to the rental. The Sierra had 573 miles on it at that time. 
While on vacation, I got a call from the dealership stating the engine was burning engine oil and it had to be replaced. At this point, I contacted GM to start the buy back process. I do not want a vehicle with 573 miles on it that has had the engine replaced, for many reasons. I can explain why this is a problem for me... I am a journey level Master Diagnostic Technician with Toyota and I can say for sure that the truck will never be the same after the engine has been replaced. When an engine burns enough oil to leave soot on the exhaust tip and bumper, many other things are happening. The catalytic converters, Air/Fuel sensors and oxygen sensors are being covered with oil as well. These components' lifespans are affected by this. When a truck is assembled on an assembly line, things are done with precision. Every fastener is torqued to specification, fluids are bled and topped properly, every item has quality control oversight.  I purchased a NEW truck with this in mind. I sold my old GMC Sierra and spent nearly $50,000 of my hard earned money with this in mind! 
As a Toyota Technician, I was considering a new Tundra. But I went with my gut and kept my faith in the GMC brand. I stayed in the family. I believed in the product. But when I recieved a call from the GM customer care associate, things changed. I was informed that my situation does not qualify for buy back and that I should contact the Better Business Bereau to file a complaint. Is that really how I will be treated for my years of loyalty? I was absolutely going to buy a different GMC truck, probably a more expensive 3.0 Duramax. I didn't want to go through the process of arbritration, attorneys etc but they say “The truck is fixed and you’re good to go”... lol. 
The dealer replaced the engine in my truck with 575 miles on it, made me drive 3 hrs each way to get it and they messed up a few parts when replacing it. 

Now the truck has 1850 miles on it and the mil is back on with the p25a2 brake issue. 
When easing into the throttle at low Engine speeds, there’s a vibration at 1200rpm. Dunno why. 

Did I get a lemon or are these truck really ******??? 

I beleive that GMC is having quality control issues at assembly.  I have heard many instances of oil leaks, bad engines etc.  I bought my 2020 3.0 1500 and it had an oil leak from the factory.  GM better get this under control!

I've had tons of problems with mine ranging from infotainment issues, safety tech issues, oil leaks and worsening vibration at highway speeds to name a few. I bought this over a ram because I thought it would be more reliable, but i have reoccurring and new problems almost every day. I definitely think there are quality control issues with these trucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve owned a handful of new trucks over the last 10 years and my 2019 is probably the worst quality control wise I have owned. Rides like a dream but that’s we’re it ends.

I wish I had never traded my 2014 in and will likely be trading it in on a Tundra or F-150 in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a 2020 gas engine Sierra I have not had any issues... yet and I just knocked on some wood. I bought mine with 4 miles on it and I have just over 2000 miles on it now. 

The only thing I had pop up was that my battery was completely dead while I let it sit for 2 days when it had 700ish miles on it. Jumped it, and it hasn’t happened since.. 

Things just happen in my opinion.. 

1 hour ago, Mikedfw said:

I've had tons of problems with mine ranging from infotainment issues, safety tech issues, oil leaks and worsening vibration at highway speeds to name a few. I bought this over a ram because I thought it would be more reliable, but i have reoccurring and new problems almost every day. I definitely think there are quality control issues with these trucks.

Yea. I agree. 
My a pillar trim is warped, sloppily applied sealant hanging from the hood, horn pad airbag is off center, leak spring noise, vibration from engine at low rpm and lightly accelerating. 
DISAPPOINTED and scared the lifters are gonna go if I keep the truck. 

EC03B8FB-BA46-4903-82E5-DEFB7FFA1F15.jpeg

Yea. I agree. 
My a pillar trim is warped, sloppily applied sealant hanging from the hood, horn pad airbag is off center, leak spring noise, vibration from engine at low rpm and lightly accelerating. 
DISAPPOINTED and scared the lifters are gonna go if I keep the truck. 
EC03B8FB-BA46-4903-82E5-DEFB7FFA1F15.thumb.jpeg.4137d03d738cd8203188ed43de9c0bb6.jpeg
I've been trying to convince myself the last few months to keep it. I'd go a few days without a problem and think ok maybe its working now, but finally at the point where I know I wont for that much longer. I'll either give ram a try or go for the new f150 even though I have more or less sworn off ford.

I've never had a vehicle with so many consistent, intermittent problems with so many different aspects of the vehicle as this gm out of about 13 or 14 vehicles I've owned in my life.

9 hours ago, vicreyes85 said:

On my birthday in 2020, I purchased my dream truck, a brand new 2020 GMC Sierra crew cab regular bed with x31 off road package. 
My family and I have enjoyed owning many GM products over the years. My father owns two Chevrolet SIlverado 2500HD Duramax diesel's, both of which were purchased brand new in 2005 and 2007. My brother purchased a new Chevrolet Tahoe in 2005 and put over 250 thousand miles on it. As for myself, I have owned a Tahoe Z71, two Chevrolet Suburbans and a white 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a Duramax diesel. That GMC had 275 thousand miles on it and was recently sold in order to make room for my dream truck. That truck is a 2020 GMC Sierra in the same color, white. I chose this vehicle over Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Ram, as my faith in the GM product was huge. I have trusted my GM trucks to enjoy our family road trips, camping weekends and the hauling of my boat and travel trailers. Thousands of miles of reliably and safely transporting my family encouraged me to continue the relationship with GM. That is why I purchased the 2020 Sierra. 

Eight days after the purchase of the 2020 Sierra, I loaded up my family for our annual camping trip. It was an exciting day for my family and I as it was the first experience we had to bond with the new truck. We had begun the five hour drive to our destination and not five minutes in to the trip, the check engine light began flashing for aproximately 20 seconds. I contacted OnStar to gather diagnostic information, but nothing was available. I considered it a one off situation and continued driving. When we were three and a half hours from home, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I contacted OnStar and they retrieved a trouble code P0300, random misfire. I then called the nearby GMC dealer in Redding, CA to schedule the drop off of my truck. My father and brother were caravaning behind me in their trucks and they noticed my Sierra smoking heavily on deceleration. It was determined that the issue was concerning enough for me to take a rental for the week long trip and leave my new truck with the dealership. Mind you I had my boat in tow, truck bed filled with firewood and camping gear, etc. We spent two hours transfering all of our supplies in 110 degree heat from the new truck to the rental. The Sierra had 573 miles on it at that time. 
While on vacation, I got a call from the dealership stating the engine was burning engine oil and it had to be replaced. At this point, I contacted GM to start the buy back process. I do not want a vehicle with 573 miles on it that has had the engine replaced, for many reasons. I can explain why this is a problem for me... I am a journey level Master Diagnostic Technician with Toyota and I can say for sure that the truck will never be the same after the engine has been replaced. When an engine burns enough oil to leave soot on the exhaust tip and bumper, many other things are happening. The catalytic converters, Air/Fuel sensors and oxygen sensors are being covered with oil as well. These components' lifespans are affected by this. When a truck is assembled on an assembly line, things are done with precision. Every fastener is torqued to specification, fluids are bled and topped properly, every item has quality control oversight.  I purchased a NEW truck with this in mind. I sold my old GMC Sierra and spent nearly $50,000 of my hard earned money with this in mind! 
As a Toyota Technician, I was considering a new Tundra. But I went with my gut and kept my faith in the GMC brand. I stayed in the family. I believed in the product. But when I recieved a call from the GM customer care associate, things changed. I was informed that my situation does not qualify for buy back and that I should contact the Better Business Bereau to file a complaint. Is that really how I will be treated for my years of loyalty? I was absolutely going to buy a different GMC truck, probably a more expensive 3.0 Duramax. I didn't want to go through the process of arbritration, attorneys etc but they say “The truck is fixed and you’re good to go”... lol. 
The dealer replaced the engine in my truck with 575 miles on it, made me drive 3 hrs each way to get it and they messed up a few parts when replacing it. 

Now the truck has 1850 miles on it and the mil is back on with the p25a2 brake issue. 
When easing into the throttle at low Engine speeds, there’s a vibration at 1200rpm. Dunno why. 

Did I get a lemon or are these truck really ******??? 

You work in the industry so you should know there is no such thing as Loyalty in this game.  As a Toyota tech to go with GM over something much better and the discounts you'd get since you work for Toyota is mind boggling to me.  This GM Gen of trucks is just bad, Ive waited along time for this platform and the more I research and see with my own eyes the more Im moving away from this brand. 

5 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

I've been trying to convince myself the last few months to keep it. I'd go a few days without a problem and think ok maybe its working now, but finally at the point where I know I wont for that much longer. I'll either give ram a try or go for the new f150 even though I have more or less sworn off ford.

I've never had a vehicle with so many consistent, intermittent problems with so many different aspects of the vehicle as this gm out of about 13 or 14 vehicles I've owned in my life.

Why dont you give Toyota a try I dont get why people hate the best so much. That Ford is all new itll have major problems and the new Ram has its own from the brakes to the etorque to engine to trim pieces falling off just some of the things Ive seen. 

I have driven Dodge, Ford, Chevy and GMC trucks my entire adult life. In my opinion, they all suffer from quality control issues and they get worse with every new vehicle I buy. I hate to say it but they dont make things like they used to. Having said that, I have been pretty happy with my 19. It has just shy of 40,000 miles on it and it has yet to be in the shop for anything other than recalls and oil changes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vicreyes85 said:

I chose this vehicle over Ford, Toyota, Nissan and Ram, as my faith in the GM product was huge. I have trusted my GM trucks to enjoy our family road trips, camping weekends and the hauling of my boat and travel trailers. Thousands of miles of reliably and safely transporting my family encouraged me to continue the relationship with GM. That is why I purchased the 2020 Sierra. 

Whelp... looks like you have learned the same thing countless others have.  Loyalty means nothing now a days.  You are replaceable in the eyes of all the auto manufacturers.  I'm sorry though that you have had such shitty luck.  I'm in no hurry to go to any newer vehicles other than maybe a 6.0 2500HD if I wanted an alternative to my 08 Duramax. 

• Like 1

I know how you feel, I had a 19 Silverado for 10 months and it visited the dealership every month I had it trying to fix problems. Some of the problems couldn't be fixed (jingle, jingle thread). Finally said enough and got a Tundra.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've had the issue where the brake control module was not communicating with the truck and it threw a CEL/MIL. So far, that's the only issue I've had with my 19 in 18,000 miles. 30 minute reprogramming visit at the dealer and it hasn't happened since.