Puddle Light kit with GMC Logo Projection

I just notched it where it clips and I shaved off an angle on the top so it didn't push up against me motor housing inside the mirror.  

Shaved off a little on the corner that was running against the inside housing. I went along the whole top side corner.

f091aca840893764d37f786902668731.jpg

Notch towards the front since you'll need to turn towards the front to make it straight.

9a36b44073738da8e40153df384ce336.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I didn’t have much luck with trimming the corner. I used a dremel and it seemed that I got close to the PCB then I stopped. I then looked at the mirror housing itself and it seems that I could dremel the housing part instead. I did a test run on a damaged mirror.

In your 2nd pic, you mentioned “notch towards the front”. Can you elaborate on that a little? Does this allow you rotate the puddle lamp housing a little more?

fd5a5f169176e593dfbcea634b04f5d7.jpg

418b662ff493b0459582ff7074bb420a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t have much luck with trimming the corner. I used a dremel and it seemed that I got close to the PCB then I stopped. I then looked at the mirror housing itself and it seems that I could dremel the housing part instead. I did a test run on a damaged mirror.  

In your 2nd pic, you mentioned “notch towards the front”. Can you elaborate on that a little? Does this allow you rotate the puddle lamp housing a little more?

fd5a5f169176e593dfbcea634b04f5d7.jpg

418b662ff493b0459582ff7074bb420a.jpg

When I was installing, it wasn't sitting flush and I could see where it was rubbing on that housing you dremeled.  

This section in white is where I went with a utility knife and just shaved it at 45°, like in my previous picture. Then it sat flush. I thought of using a Dremel, but thought it would take too much off really fast. It didn't need that much taken off. I even cut that tab that sticks up off.

73654128e602d7b78493ac7505c1b879.jpg

47278434bcd2004f0befe80811f1b8c4.jpg

This is where I notched the part where the little tab sits in. It didn't take much, but I did little at a time, again, just using a utility knife till it was straight. Arrow is pointing at the side I trimmed it. Both side are the same. It does let you turn it a little to rotate the puddle lamp.

aa13f3c907636249a74840beac78e1a4.jpg

• Like 3

When I was installing, it wasn't sitting flush and I could see where it was rubbing on that housing you dremeled.  This section in white is where I went with a utility knife and just shaved it at 45°, like in my previous picture. Then it sat flush. I thought of using a Dremel, but thought it would take too much off really fast. It didn't need that much taken off. I even cut that tab that sticks up off.

73654128e602d7b78493ac7505c1b879.jpg

47278434bcd2004f0befe80811f1b8c4.jpg

This is where I notched the part where the little tab sits in. It didn't take much, but I did little at a time, again, just using a utility knife till it was straight. Arrow is pointing at the side I trimmed it. Both side are the same. It does let you turn it a little to rotate the puddle lamp.

aa13f3c907636249a74840beac78e1a4.jpg

Perfect. Thanks for that! I thought that was the case on the notch but want to be sure. Thanks again!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Perfect. Thanks for that! I thought that was the case on the notch but want to be sure. Thanks again!

No problem! A lot of your answers to others post have helped me out a lot on my mods  :) 

• Like 2

I may try this this weekend. The only thing I notched was where the little fin that is on the light fits into the mirror. So mine now snap in and got flush, but are angled. Doesn’t really bother me but if it’s this East to str810 then out I’ll give it a whirl.

Do you consider them to be snapped in tight enough that they won’t rotate back with vibration/normal driving?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, slide187 said:

I may try this this weekend. The only thing I notched was where the little fin that is on the light fits into the mirror. So mine now snap in and got flush, but are angled. Doesn’t really bother me but if it’s this East to str810 then out I’ll give it a whirl.

Do you consider them to be snapped in tight enough that they won’t rotate back with vibration/normal driving?

so far mine has kept straight. I heard a click and I does take some pressure to turn it, on one I had to use a pick tool to push the clip in and turn to make it straight. The other, pressed hard on the lamp to turn, so the first one was a lot tighter. I did this at night with a utility knife, so I'm sure I didn't notch them out even.. :D

If you make it a little to big and it does rotate from vibration, you can probably just put a dab of silicone sealant or something to keep it from moving, so it's not hard to pop back out if you go back to normal puddle lamps. 

Edited by jpinoy
added more info
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, slide187 said:

Man I just want it to sit flush and snap in. What fin did you notch? Is it where I circled in red?

516613DC-7F73-43E1-877D-DB3B7117E796.jpeg

Man I just want it to sit flush and snap in. What fin did you notch? Is it where I circled in red?516613DC-7F73-43E1-877D-DB3B7117E796.jpeg.ca6abfda6bbda88da77be77b0df4fbc2.jpeg

So no, it’s the one on the opposite side. That side has 2 fins, it’s The side with the single fin that hits the housing rim. I left all the fins alone and cut a notch in the hole in the mirror housing toward the front of the truck where that fin hits.

Basically I sort of “dry fit” the light by holding it in there to right before it snaps, and put my utility knife up where that fin hits and marked it first with a little cut. Then pulled the light back down and cut a small v notch at that spot. Snapped right in flat after that, I’d have to redo that part again if I try and rotate it tho.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 11:57 AM, pgamboa said:

23b0359c41cd5aefd8cf2b41f8995ce7.jpg
Yes it fits.

If you have functional puddle lamps now, they are a direct drop on.

Issues - the logo doesn’t project exactly parallel to the truck. They are slightly rotated due to how they plug in.

They are a direct plug in. The spades are keyed, so it’s 50/50 if you plug it in right or wrong.

If the mirrors are folded in, they logo with project onto the door, and is not clear.

Other than that - mod away!

I have been wondering if that would work so I’m glad I saw this. Thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...