Brakes Squeaking @ 10K

So I have a 2021 AT4 2500HD, I am at close to 4k miles and my brakes are also squealing coming to a stop at slow speed.  it is quite loud too.  I will be taking it in soon to see what my local dealership says.  Also an unrelated sound is when I turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other it will whine like the power steering fluid is low.  Checked it and it is full, but still makes the whining sound at full lock when turning.

I had my pads replaced under the TSB, and they are now doing the same damn thing again after about 2K miles. To top it off, the dealer screwed up my outer rear rims when they reinstalled them and did not connect the front driver's side wear sensor. Idiots.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, xaositek said:

Just to update everyone - I had the same issue that started about 25k miles - GM replaced all pads this morning under a warranty claim with a TSB.

Same with me. We will see if this time fixes anything.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, xaositek said:

Just to update everyone - I had the same issue that started about 25k miles - GM replaced all pads this morning under a warranty claim with a TSB.

14 hours ago, KC Desert said:

Same with me. We will see if this time fixes anything.

bed them in really good.

do several hard stops from at least 50mph or above. 

don't follow the "take it easy for the first 250 miles" bs. 

i had mine replaced a couple weeks ago. so far so good, and they actually bite better than the original pads. 

i bed them in like above

• 3 weeks later...

My truck was after the build date on the original tsb for this. Brakes started squealing pretty bad about 6500 miles.  Finally got it into the dealer for the brakes and another issue.  They ordered parts and pads for it, said it was included in the tsb.  

This article came out in June.

Many of the responses in this thread were prior to that date. 

Of course it may still be referring to the same TSB# as the earlier posts

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14950 

Update: Silverado 2500HD/3500HD and Sierra 2500HD/3500HD Brake Pads

June 29, 2021

Some 2020-2021 Silverado 2500HD/3500HD and Sierra 2500HD/3500HD models may have a brake squeal condition caused by the low scorch friction material used on the original brake pads.

To reduce the potential for noise, updated brake pads are available that use a high scorch friction material and feature a new lining shim on the backing plate. These new pads also are now being used at the assembly plant.

Replace the front and rear brake pads with the new pads if brake noise occurs. Current parts in inventory are the updated design.

TIP: If the pads are replaced and the squeal sound continues, check the orientation of the pads. Each brake pad has an Inner or Outer label to indicate where it should be installed. (Fig. 5) If the inboard and outboard designation on the pads indicate the pads are installed in the wrong location, the squeal sound may persist.

F05-brake-pads-1.pngFig. 5

During installation, keep in mind that only the left side of the truck has the wear sensors, which are mounted on the inner pad. (Fig. 6)

F06-brake-pads-2.pngFig. 6

Refer to Bulletin #20-NA-020 for additional information and the updated brake pad part numbers.

Edited by redwngr

Took truck in for squeaky brakes for the second time and I am not happy with the outcome. First time I took it in they replaced only the front pads per the TSB. This time they tell me the rotors are glazed and should be turned or replaced at MY COST. they say the rotors are warped from heat. I have only towed a 2 place open snowmobile trailer last winter, other then that it is driven to work 10 miles round trip every day mostly city and highway, no gravel. Get your crap together GM! Miles were 15K when replaced front pads & 22K when I took it in this time.

20210914_201958 (2).jpg

Edited by Fastrac

• 8 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:08 AM, LarryM said:

So my brakes are already squeaking and wondering if this is a warranty fix or anyone else having the same issue? I don't think it is a warranty fix, but hoping to save a few hundred if at all possible. 

I understand there are a lot of factors, dust, cold, wear and tear, etc. I brought it out and did some braking to warm it up and clean it off, but it is still doing it. Visually rotors look good, no brake dust/rust. I feel like I have been very easy on the truck, mostly highway miles and not a lot of stop and go.

Anything would help, thanks.

I have a 2022 Silverado 2500 with 6500 miles and breaks are squeaking 😡

I have a 2021 Silverado 2500 built just after the TSB covered dates. Breaks squeek like mad, took it into the dealer and they replaced the rear breaks with the advisory replacement (said front were fine). According to the dealer they ate that cost to replace it for me despite being past the 7500 mile warranty on the pads. The front breaks immediately started sqeeking louder. Dealer looks says yeah it is the front breaks but you will have to pay out of pocket for those. GM won't cover it. I am going to try and call GM warranty, but on this forum I have not heard, if they are left alone (despite being upset for paying 60k for a truck with squeeking breaks) is there a wear and tear danger to the roaters if they are left on? They want $600 for the front breaks.

Furthermore, if they are putting the same pads on, why doesnt the TSP extend into 2022? Doesn't seem like the problem magically fixed itself.

Edited by S Bosworth

On 9/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

My truck was after the build date on the original tsb for this. Brakes started squealing pretty bad about 6500 miles.  Finally got it into the dealer for the brakes and another issue.  They ordered parts and pads for it, said it was included in the tsb.  

At 14 thousand on the second set of pads and it is squealing again.  Back to the dealer, have an appointment for the def tsb in 2 weeks, have them scheduled to check the brakes again at the same time.  

• 4 weeks later...

My brakes still squeal like a dump truck and this is the second brake replacement! I am taking it back in but they dont want to schedule me. I am nearly out of warranty, gee I wonder why I cannot get an appointment…

• 2 weeks later...

I am not even going to bother dealing with service about the brake noise only to have it happen again. Has anyone found any aftermarket options that I can just purchase for replacement? Tired of sounding like an old school bus!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, KC Desert said:

My brakes still squeal like a dump truck and this is the second brake replacement! I am taking it back in but they dont want to schedule me. I am nearly out of warranty, gee I wonder why I cannot get an appointment…

This is certainly not what we like to hear, KC Desert.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 GMC 2500HD AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: KC Desert/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com