ANOTHER COld Air Intake Thread!

I’m sure showing my proof won’t get through because it never does, but I’ll try. Funny, the few people who say they do nothing never have to prove their stance or provide dyno or performance evidence, it’s always on me.

Roto-Fab CAI, bought at retail price with my own money because I liked the look. Any gains were just gravy, but I did test extensively to make sure it wasn’t COSTING me performance.

It is not on YouTube, I do not work for them, I do not get anything at all for saying I like their product. Truck is stock save for GM catback which was installed on both sets of runs. Same stretch of “closed course”, same Dragy performance meter which is well regarded as a very accurate device. This is not some goofy cell phone 0-60 app using the phone’s inaccurate GPS.

Best 4 runs with CAI:

D456D225-55AB-4A46-9110-349EA209A984.thumb.jpeg.33a365dcc23344bd1dcbd6192922335b.jpeg

Best 4 before CAI:

9E617344-B3B5-4AEA-95A5-739EE66573A9.thumb.jpeg.6ac98cd9e365f062eb292bbea710cfa6.jpeg

Even the slowest run with the CAI out of the 14 I ran was over a tenth faster than the fastest run without the CAI.

You tell me what type of power gain is required to shave an average of a few tenths off 0-60 in a 4500lb truck. You know damn well it’s more than 5, or even 10 horsepower.

The myth just won’t die no matter what though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guys that sell CAI's claim power increases.

Guys the sell ported TB's make the same claim.

Guys who sell tunes

Guys who sell headers

Know what they have in common?

Guys who make claims make money.

Not a matter of making more power. It's a matter of cost. The cost per horsepower is ridiculous.

IMO

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I’m sure showing my proof won’t get through because it never does, but I’ll try. Funny, the few people who say they do nothing never have to prove their stance or provide dyno or performance evidence, it’s always on me.

Roto-Fab CAI, bought at retail price with my own money because I liked the look. Any gains were just gravy, but I did test extensively to make sure it wasn’t COSTING me performance.

It is not on YouTube, I do not work for them, I do not get anything at all for saying I like their product. Truck is stock save for GM catback which was installed on both sets of runs. Same stretch of “closed course”, same Dragy performance meter which is well regarded as a very accurate device. This is not some goofy cell phone 0-60 app using the phone’s inaccurate GPS.

Best 4 runs with CAI:

D456D225-55AB-4A46-9110-349EA209A984.thumb.jpeg.33a365dcc23344bd1dcbd6192922335b.jpeg

Best 4 before CAI:

9E617344-B3B5-4AEA-95A5-739EE66573A9.thumb.jpeg.6ac98cd9e365f062eb292bbea710cfa6.jpeg

Even the slowest run with the CAI out of the 14 I ran was over a tenth faster than the fastest run without the CAI.

You tell me what type of power gain is required to shave an average of a few tenths off 0-60 in a 4500lb truck. You know damn well it’s more than 5, or even 10 horsepower.

The myth just won’t die no matter what though.

The facts don't lie.

Maybe this will shut them all up!   Then again, they'll find something to argue about! 

• Like 1

I really wish the people who keep saying it does nothing would stay out of the threads. Why they take it to be their holy mission to point out how people might be wrong is beyond me. We've heard you, now please shut up and let the people who want to install them and discuss them do so.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JWOutdoors29 said:

Anyone have any experience with the Cold Air Inductions intake? Looks similar to the Rotofab, but uses the factory lower box. Considerably cheaper, but looks to be well built.

https://www.coldairinductions.com/shop/cold-air-inductions-products/cold-air-intakes/chevrolet/silverado/2019-2020-silverado-and-sierra-1500-6-2l-truck-cold-air-intake-textured-black-512-0105-6-b/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I got mine in a few weeks ago but haven't had time to install it. Going to do so this weekend!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I really wish the people who keep saying it does nothing would stay out of the threads. Why they take it to be their holy mission to point out how people might be wrong is beyond me. We've heard you, now please shut up and let the people who want to install them and discuss them do so.

Some years ago my riding partner parted with about $2k at the Harley store to 'upgrade' to the Stage II kit. CAI, header and a cam. Dyno numbers were okay for a motor its size. Mine was bone stock. Matching baggers one year apart in manufacture. We rode for several years coast to coast and not once in all the time we rode together could he get the best of me in a 40 to 100 roll. Not even If spotting him a passenger or a gear.  Not only was it a dog, it was a thirsty dog. But his dyno sheet sure was impressive. Slower by a ton but impressive. Sounded awesome.  

Not once have I said it wouldn't add power. I said it wasn't cost effective and I would expect un-useable but hey if dyno numbers and noise are your thing then toss all the cash at it you like. That's what ya can do...

Here's what ya can't do....dismiss me like sending a five year old to bed without his supper.

:wtf: 

When I have something to say, it will get said.

You don't want to hear it? Hit the ignore button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BossTaco2020 said:

☝️

Sorry, OP, that you've walked into what you can obviously now see is a very "hot button" topic on this here forum. I do hope you're getting some helpful info out of this. 

From one CAI owner to you... just do what moves the needle for you. I like the added growl my CAI gives. I really don't give a rip about the HP gains, even though I can feel a difference. It looks good, it sounds good, I like it. You do you, OP. 

• Like 3

Up until my 14 GMC I put CAL, fake loud duals and a caned tune. I dialed out some TM put in 93 tune, raised the shift points, Raised the red line and top speed. I didn’t take it to the track, I had cars for that. They sounded good, shifted hard and rev like nobody’s business. The seat of the pants was ya-hoo. I didn’t care what anyone thought, I liked it. Screw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I really wish the people who keep saying it does nothing would stay out of the threads.

OP is questioning the claims made by aftermarket part manufacturers, and rightfully so.  I'm sorry you thought this would be a self-congratulatory echo chamber.

Now, back to installing my Electronic Engine Ionizer fuel saver to achieve peak MPGs...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

The facts don't lie.

Maybe this will shut them all up!   Then again, they'll find something to argue about! 

They won’t accept it no matter what. Why I didn’t bother posting them earlier. You see what’s happening with the moving goal posts.

“They don’t add power” so you post dyno results....”that’s rigged and 5hp ain’t nothing”....so I post performance figures that show considerable improvements in the real world. And look now, we are still talking about how the gains aren’t usable?!? Okay, guess we can’t define measured performance improvements as “usable”...

As you said it, arguing just for the sake of arguing. Nothing backs up anything they say but it doesn’t matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

OP is questioning the claims made by aftermarket part manufacturers, and rightfully so.  I'm sorry you thought this would be a self-congratulatory echo chamber.

True, and I actually appreciated your posts on this. It's some of the other grumpier people who seem to jump on these threads as if its their life's mission to shout down anyone who is considering a CAI. I don't expect a self-congratulatory echo chamber, I expect good conversations without the same people beating a dead horse without any facts to back them up. But that's just me...

And I did find that ignore user button...that's cool! Now I can browse this forum in peace without a cantankerous ursine interjecting his old outdated opinions that I don't care to hear.

Edited by BossTaco2020
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

They won’t accept it no matter what. Why I didn’t bother posting them earlier. You see what’s happening with the moving goal posts.

“They don’t add power” so you post dyno results....”that’s rigged and 5hp ain’t nothing”....so I post performance figures that show considerable improvements in the real world. And look now, we are still talking about how the gains aren’t usable?!? Okay, guess we can’t define measured performance improvements as “usable”...

As you said it, arguing just for the sake of arguing. Nothing backs up anything they say but it doesn’t matter.

I agree, and then they come on here calling me "ignorant" in another thread, when I have the data to back it up. And you also have the data and have shown them through that numerical data. Makes no sense, and just shows how "closed minded" these individuals really are. So sad!! 

Anyways enjoy your exhaust and CAI as much as I do because it has made my T1 so much better to drive and hear! 

• Like 1

I thought long and hard about it before making my decision. I couldn't find any documentation (that I believed) that wasn't published by someone who makes their money selling parts. But I still bought and installed the Airaid MIT. I figured, heck, I like the sound, and if it gives me .1 better MPG, that's great. I can't say I feel any gains with my butt dyno. But I like that I can hear it when I go to pass someone on the 2 lane county road.

I put a K&N intake on my old '98 K1500 and I swear with that & a flowmaster muffler I gained 1 whole MPG (with years of gas mileage calcs to back it up). That was a generation ago when trucks didn't roll off the factory line with every drop of fuel economy squeezed out of them. Can we really free up some HP by simply removing the restrictive air chamber? Maybe. Sound reduction is very important to the manufacturers, and the small increase in noise with a CAI is worth it to me. 

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.

• Like 2

Just spoke with my buddy that owns a large GMC dealership in Houston, he agreed with me but said please do send them to our parts and service department lol.

Ok, gotta go, fedex just delivered my new thermal, Cya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk