ANOTHER COld Air Intake Thread!

I am not a person to throw money away so I have been doing my research on which CAI system to install on my 2020 Silverado RST (5.3) or if I should put one on at all.  My Flowmaster Flow FX kit should be going on today. What I have read and watched on all the Youtube videos is that the manufacturers of ALL brands make claims that they work to increase HP/TQ and MPG. There are some videos of dyno tests that showed great and not so great results. Also some folks have done real world testing themselves and came up with vastly varying results. One guy shows he ran an intake temp sensor for 3K miles before and after which proved the intake air temps changed vary little and only improved his MPG by about 1. Some have even said their MPG were reduced after installing the system. I am looking for NO BS real-world experiences which include the type system, please limit responses to 5.3L motors and not the 6.0L (Don't want Apples to Oranges comparisons).  Thanks In Advance!!

This is going to be a very subjective decision that you'll have to make considering what things you value most in a CAI... 

• Do you want HP gains? 
  • Do you just want to open the engine up and see some nice sound improvement, plus some small MPG gains? 
  • Do you want something that looks good under the hood? 
  • How important is having a GM part under the hood, to avoid any possible drama if you have an engine issue under warranty? 
  • How important is cost? 
  • How important is ease of installation? 

With all this in mind, I'll give you my (subjective) 3 best options: 

1. GM Performance's CAI. I installed this on my 5.3L because I wanted an OEM part, and the ease of installation was the best (since it's built by GM for a GM vehicle.) They only claim about a 2hp increase on it, which really didn't matter that much to me. Plus, I like the way it looks under the hood. Lastly, I was able to get it for around $470, which is pretty average for some of the CAI systems out there. 
  2. Rotofab's CAI - similarly easy install, has some documented dyno improvements over the GM CAI. A lot of guys on here run this and are really happy with it. 
  3. S&B CAI - hard to get right now. It's backordered. But they have the best dyno claims out there. 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with the Cold Air Inductions intake? Looks similar to the Rotofab, but uses the factory lower box. Considerably cheaper, but looks to be well built.

https://www.coldairinductions.com/shop/cold-air-inductions-products/cold-air-intakes/chevrolet/silverado/2019-2020-silverado-and-sierra-1500-6-2l-truck-cold-air-intake-textured-black-512-0105-6-b/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I purchased this one. It also uses the bottom of the stock air box. Installation was a simple and I think it looks great under the hood. Corsa clams 11hp and 11tq. Throttle response feels a bit better. Best part was I only paid 280.00 for it shipped. https://www.cspracing.com/corsa-performance-cold-air-intake-system-with-drytech-filter-2019-chevy-silverado-sierra-1500-5-3l-v8/45953d/

0922201110_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

You will have some grumpy old individuals on here who will say it’s a waste of money but there are tons of research and proven data that states otherwise. I have an S&B on mine because they claim the most air flow and least restrictive out of all of them. Plus for $350 it was a great price. I like the RotoFab or GMs cold intake also. The cold air inductions intake and Corsa both use the bottom of the stock box. 
Ive noticed better throttle response with mine and have picked up a few tenths of sec with it and exhaust on my truck. Those are my facts.  Good luck with your decision. 

20B5B1CB-4089-4F1E-AE7C-868AC153FF82.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

You will have some grumpy old individuals on here who will say it’s a waste of money ...

What if we're a grumpy, younger individual?

A CAI might add a bit of horsepower (a few) as you approach redline.  How often are you up there?  You're not going to see any appreciable increase in MPG.  Considering how much money and effort auto manufacturers are putting in to eke out a bit more MPG (auto start/stop, air dams, active grill shutters, etc.,) you can rest assured that if a few cents per vehicle improved MPG, they'd come that way from the factory.

Your truck has two valves per cylinder.  That's your air flow restriction, and no CAI is going to fix that.  But sometimes a placebo is worth its weight in gold...

Edited by Salsa De Piña
  • Like 2

The amount of BS lies that are in these forums on CAI is absolutely ridiculous and complete waste of money. There’s no bolt on that will guarantee such gains that a $400 tune couldn’t do much better. The computer is controlling everything.

Here’s a forum discussing what’s already been proven over and over again. People with vast experiences and have yet to be proven wrong especially by newbies and wannabes that have ZERO Dyno testing other than their butts.

May as well put a CAI sticker on your car, it’ll give you the promised mindful horsepower without a tune!

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i-swear-ive-never-seen-more-idiocy-than-talking-about-cais-well-cept-gpus.2354022/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What if we're a gumpy, younger individual?

A CAI might add a bit of horsepower (a few) as you approach redline.  How often are you up there?  You're not going to see any appreciable increase in MPG.  Considering how much money and effort auto manufacturers are putting in to eke out a bit more MPG (auto start/stop, air dams, active grill shutters, etc.,) you can rest assured that if a few cents per vehicle improved MPG, they'd come that way from the factory.

Your truck has two valves per cylinder.  That's your air flow restriction, and no CAI is going to fix that.  But sometimes a placebo is worth its weight in gold...

Or an expert butt Dyno lmao!

Here ya go, here’s just one of the reasons why you should consider spending your money somewhere it would apply itself in a much more positive way. Just one of the many lawsuits consumers have filed throughout the years.

Don’t be taken by marketing firms paid big money to find your inner automotive desires, Research it before you buy it.

https://www.classaction.org/spectre-performance-air-filters-and-intake-systems

I put an Airaid Jr on my truck (intake tube and filter only). I had zero expectation of any hp/tq gain. I did it for 2 reasons. 1 it sounds better and 2 I don't like the massive air chambers on the stock intake that are just there to quiet the intake noise.

It's also a 10 min job to go back to stock for any dealer work (don't need to give them any reason to deny warrantee work).

Jay

15 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Here ya go, here’s just one of the reasons why you should consider spending your money somewhere it would apply itself in a much more positive way. Just one of the many lawsuits consumers have filed throughout the years.

Don’t be taken by marketing firms paid big money to find your inner automotive desires, Research it before you buy it.

https://www.classaction.org/spectre-performance-air-filters-and-intake-systems

classactions are a boondogle... the "attorneys" make millions while claimants get a coupon for a BOGO free meatless whopper. Just end up costing consumers more in the end.

• Like 4

See I told ya they'd come out!! Hook, line, and sinker..

Here is a dyno video just for proof! They do make a difference.  Here is just one of many FACTS that prove they work. 

Here is another Dyno showing 5HP to the wheels!

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1

Any HP gain to the new T1's is a win for us owners. YOU CAN"T TUNE them for $400! By adding a CAI and an exhaust is a way to free up HP and gain performance.  Heck hacking off the flappers ALONE free's up HP because they block 50% of the stock exhaust system. It's terrible. 

17 hours ago, Salsa De Piña said:

What if we're a grumpy, younger individual?

I think he was talking about me :crackup: