ANOTHER COld Air Intake Thread!

2 hours ago, Firehawk T/A said:

This is a good read. https://www.hpacademy.com/technical-articles/air-intake-restrictions-explained/  Ultimately any restriction to incoming air in an engine will result in reduced volumetric efficiency. For example a dirty air filter at any rpm range will reduce how efficent the engine is at filling each cylinder with air. The same is true for a cold air intake that is designed to flow better than the stock air box. At any given rpm it will be more efficient at filling the cylinders with air, thus creating more power. 

On any vehicle I have installed a cold air intake on, I have personally noticed that I need less throttle pressure to accelerate up to speed, along with a slight increase in fuel mileage. I highly doubt I will ever recoup the investment in fuel costs, but I don't really care. I like the way it looks, sounds and feels while driving it, and thats enough for me.

This is the line to pursue. 

You just like it. Now that I can understand. 

Have you ever been able to say to yourself: "My air filter must be getting dirty as I feel it's taking more pedal to accelerate to 60 mph"?  

The honest answer is:

No

If you can honestly say yes then shame on you for letting your filter get to the point of collapse.

Take a hard look at the VE tables in your ECU. (If you can access them) As far as it is concerned fuel is metered by cylinder VE which is a percentage of manifold pressure. NOT atmospheric (airbox/plenum pressure). The pressure between the TB and the inlet valve. Look at those tables throttled. You can have 99% VE at 15% TPS. The MAP is placed AFTER the filter but BEFORE the  Helmholtz box because?????? 

Look, I've never argued that a CAI cannot make power. My argument is....it doesn't matter.....unless......

You just like it, Or race naturally

Enjoy the noise ? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You just like it. Now that I can understand

Have you ever been able to say to yourself: "My air filter must be getting dirty as I feel it's taking more pedal to accelerate to 60 mph"?  

The honest answer is:

No

If you can honestly say yes then shame on you for letting your filter get to the point of collapse.

Take a hard look at the VE tables in your ECU. (If you can access them) As far as it is concerned fuel is metered by cylinder VE which is a percentage of manifold pressure. NOT atmospheric (airbox/plenum pressure). The pressure between the TB and the inlet valve. Look at those tables throttled. You can have 99% VE at 15% TPS. The MAP is placed AFTER the filter but BEFORE the  Helmholtz box because?????? 

Look, I've never argued that a CAI cannot make power. My argument is....it doesn't matter.....unless......

You just like it, Or race naturally

Enjoy the noise ? 

You just like it. Now that I can understand. ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 3:24 PM, TXGREEK said:

Here ya go, here’s just one of the reasons why you should consider spending your money somewhere it would apply itself in a much more positive way. Just one of the many lawsuits consumers have filed throughout the years.

Don’t be taken by marketing firms paid big money to find your inner automotive desires, Research it before you buy it.

https://www.classaction.org/spectre-performance-air-filters-and-intake-systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should read the link you provided a little closer---No Where in the article did it say that a CAI doesn't do as a company may claim. It simply said that this particular company misrepresented their product! I  can only assume that the competitor that started the suit tested the Spectre product and found their claims to be false.

In a Spectre Performance lawsuit lodged by a competitor, it was alleged that the company made false claims concerning its air filters and intake systems, specifically the products’ fuel economy, air flow, filtration, horsepower capabilities and approval from the California Air Resource Board (CARB).

• Like 2

I think you should read the link you provided a little closer---No Where in the article did it say that a CAI doesn't do as a company may claim. It simply said that this particular company misrepresented their product! I  can only assume that the competitor that started the suit tested the Spectre product and found their claims to be false.

In a Spectre Performance lawsuit lodged by a competitor, it was alleged that the company made false claims concerning its air filters and intake systems, specifically the products’ fuel economy, air flow, filtration, horsepower capabilities and approval from the California Air Resource Board (CARB).

It was a point made that there’s no guarantee of any exact amount of HP or TQ gains, it’s all mystical as they’ve been proven worthless by a great number of reviewers. I also have tried on numerous vehicles throughout the years to have found zero, zip, nothing in performance gain but definitely louder and noticeable less power.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm "ALMOST" sorry I started this thread "ALMOST" LOL---It has been entertaining to say the least. I especially like the posts that say there is no proof that a CAI works and in their second breath make claims that a CAI doesn't work without providing proof to their claim???? 

I ordered the S&B CAI not long after starting this thread and finally received it this past Saturday and installed it Sunday. It was not difficult to install (but I am a retired aircraft mechanic) but I feel some will have difficulties with a couple of the steps on removal and installation! Some reported having more engine noise than before--I have not noticed anything different in that department??? I have noticed better throttle response than before and it seems to pull a little harder. As far a MPGs go I need a couple weeks to see if there are any gains no matter how big or small! The true MPG test is to see what I get pulling my boat. Before it was around the 13.5-14 MPG mark. I'm hoping that will increase but we'll see!!

• Like 2

why bother with the CAI, , if your throttle TPS is only opening 80% , you wont feel any gains..  anyone else wonder why this is????

anyone know where in HPT software to go, for undoing the throttle limit? is this what is meant by our 5.3L motors are handicapped? should i install a 6.2 truck ecu file first if this is possible?

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, flyingfool said:

why bother with the CAI, , if your throttle TPS is only opening 80% , you wont feel any gains..  anyone else wonder why this is????

anyone know where in HPT software to go, for undoing the throttle limit? is this what is meant by our 5.3L motors are handicapped? should i install a 6.2 truck ecu file first if this is possible?

The throttle does open 100%, the difference is in how gm reads the tps vs hptuners/efilive etc. 

1 hour ago, M1ck3y said:

The throttle does open 100%, the difference is in how gm reads the tps vs hptuners/efilive etc. 

i'll check it out on hpt scanner, i was logging with a the Torque App. i'll just do a visual confirmation to check this is true

43 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

i'll check it out on hpt scanner, i was logging with a the Torque App. i'll just do a visual confirmation to check this is true

Lol, I wasn't asking you. And it's not 80 percent, it's 84ish.

• Confused 1

The only way it would do anything really is if the stock one reduces air flow for noise.

If you inhale lots, you have to exhale lots, so if there is no free flowing exhaust its not going to do much. More air, needs more fuel... ecu is only going to do so much.

I would say exhaust/intake/tune for performance. Intake and or exhaust no tune is just for noise.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, Ed/2020RST said:

I'm "ALMOST" sorry I started this thread "ALMOST" LOL---It has been entertaining to say the least. I especially like the posts that say there is no proof that a CAI works and in their second breath make claims that a CAI doesn't work without providing proof to their claim???? 

You do know you can't prove a negative...right? 

:crackup:

Maybe if this gets repeated enough times it will sink in. Let's say your motor makes 300 rwhp before modification and 310 rwhp after modification. Fine, it makes more power. How do you access it? Go ahead, I'll wait....................

When you put enough load on the motor to 'require' 301 rwhp or more.

And when is that possible?

I'll wait again...no hurry. 

When you're at the RPM 301 rwhp is possible with the loud peddle on the matt.

So near red line. 

How often is that?

:rolleyes:

Wait, my dyno chart shows it makes 3 more hp at 2000 rpm.

Great!

At what throttle position?

Still waiting.

When the blade in the TB is standing straight up. 

Do you always drive with the throttle mashed?

Nothing you can do before the TB will put more air over that blade at ANY given position short of forced induction.

Not enough more to 'feel'

Sound is visceral

A Lion isn't more powerful because he's closer to you and sounds louder.

Cherry Bombs do the same thing.

Balloons in the spokes of your bicycle.

If you want it get it. It makes some difference. It’s funny how most people saying it’s stupid. Drive more truck than they need to get the job done. Most of us do. They may even have more than one ride.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have been looking at s&b intake. The claim of 51% less restriction is at 600 or more cfm, what rpm is 600cfm achieved and better yet what is the restriction reduction at 1000rpm to 1500rpm.

I went with the S&B
Love the sound, then I added a Borla SType
I’m love with the sound