You guys think 2022 model 6.6 GAS will get the 10A?

1 hour ago, L8T said:

Eventually we will see more gears as an option at least behind the 6.6 gas but if won’t be an Allison. The internals of that trans are so much heavier that it would be counter productive as far as fuel economy and wheel hp are concerned. Even if it was an 8 speed it would be better than what’s in it now IMO. I’d be happy with Ford’s 10 speed in it. 

We have two F-550’s at work with the 7.3 gas and 10 speed. These trucks are touching 10k plus with service bodies and the 10 speed makes them feel like they have more power than the v-10 6 speed they replaced even though it isn’t much higher in the hp and tq dept. No issues with the trans but the engine is junk. It’s super picky with fuel quality where the v-10 would drink anything, constantly eats plug wires, we’ve blown out several spark plugs, and had multiple injectors changed already in 20000 combined miles. I wouldn’t recommend the ford till they get it sorted. 

GM and Ford joint ventured the 10 speed units.  GM would use their 10L90 that's behind the Camaro ZL1 but with any truck related changes if they do it.  

On 11/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, newdude said:

Sure it went to 3.42 but it gained 4 gears.  1st gear in the 10L1000 is 4.54:1 vs. 3.10:1 in the Allison 1000.  The 10L/3.42 gear multiplication in 1st through 8th gears is higher than the Allison/3.73 combo is 1st through 5th.  Could they put 3.73 in it?  Sure.  Would it be necessary?  No.  See 36,000lbs max tow rating.

The 6.6 gas is the one that got neutered here.  GM even got rid of the 3.73 on 2015-2019 trucks for a reason with the 6.0/6A.  It was the better pairing.  2007-2014 trucks with 3.73 gears on average saw a 3500-4000lbs tow rating loss over the 4.10 trucks.  GM went backwards on the 6.6 with 3.73 and 6A.  Needs either to go back to 4.10 or they just man up and do the 10L90 and leave the 3.73.  I still think that the joint venture had something to do with it that's why Ford got to do the gas with 10 speed HD trucks first.      

Heck ford is now sticking the 10A behind their 3.3L V6  Base truck F150 ..If you ask me , its GM not wanting to spend more money . What else could the reason ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You will never see the Allison 10 speed behind the gas 6.6. It’s heavy internals would rob way too much torque and hp and it would kill fuel economy. A lighter 8 to 10 speed is what is needed here.

The only complaint I have with the Ford 10 speed is that the first three gears are too far apart and the shift strategy sucks. It’s better than the 6L90’s but I find it’s really busy on the highway and a dog down low if you have a heavy load on. 

Edited by L8T

I fear all of these discussions will be moot points within the next decade.  GM's mandate to be 100% EV in all cars, and light duty trucks by 2035 will probably create a lame duck 4-5 year period for gas and diesel while they develop electric motors for the HDs.  With the torque curve of EVs, they will probably be going to CVTs, who knows. I love my Duramax trucks, and have for 18 years.  Going to hate to see them killed off. 

3 hours ago, Shawn T said:

I fear all of these discussions will be moot points within the next decade.  GM's mandate to be 100% EV in all cars, and light duty trucks by 2035 will probably create a lame duck 4-5 year period for gas and diesel while they develop electric motors for the HDs.  With the torque curve of EVs, they will probably be going to CVTs, who knows. I love my Duramax trucks, and have for 18 years.  Going to hate to see them killed off. 

GM is still investigating billions in next generation powertrains for future ICE vehicles.   ICE is still going to be a major player for a while.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

GM is still investigating billions in next generation powertrains for future ICE vehicles.   ICE is still going to be a major player for a while.

#iworkforGM 

GM specifically says 100% of passenger vehicles and light trucks will be BEV's by 2035, but that sounds to me that large pickups and commercial truck will be exceptions.  That having been said, I expect that eventually battery or hydrogen fuel cells will power those vehicles but it's probably further in the future. 

BTW, I hope you mean 'investing', not 'investigating'!

Edited by C/K Man

On 1/29/2021 at 2:14 AM, L8T said:

You will never see the Allison 10 speed behind the gas 6.6. It’s heavy internals would rob way too much torque and hp and it would kill fuel economy. A lighter 8 to 10 speed is what is needed here.

They have that transmission already.  The 10L90.  Which is the one everyone wants them to put in there.  

• Like 1

There has to be a reason they didn’t do it. Even as an option. Maybe the converter or trans as a whole can’t handle the hp/tq that the heavier truck would demand-especially towing as compared to being in a light Camaro.  The 10L is rated for 650 hp and tq but maybe it can’t take it for the duty cycle required in a truck application.

The first 4 gears are lower than the 10A, but the next 6 are very close or the same so it would work well in that regard. 

There has to be a reason they didn’t do it. Even as an option. Maybe the converter or trans as a whole can’t handle the hp/tq that the heavier truck would demand-especially towing as compared to being in a light Camaro.  The 10L is rated for 650 hp and tq but maybe it can’t take it for the duty cycle required in a truck application.

The first 4 gears are lower than the 10A, but the next 6 are very close or the same so it would work well in that regard. 

I don’t think anyone is expecting to use the 10L90, but the design is there because the 10L90 exists. Just like the F-150 uses the 10R80 and the super duty uses the 10R140. Or the Ranger T6 using the 6R80 while the F-750 with 50,000lb GCWR uses the 6R140. Since they developed the 10 speed with Ford, I would expect GM to be capable of adapting it to a HD truck just like Ford was.

A lot of guys say the ten speeds are hunting for the right gear. Isn't that the idea?
I want that 10 speed just like the rest of you guys. I need a bigger truck than a half ton for towing and will gladly trade my 18 1500 stocker for a 22 6.6 gas 10 speed. The question is if they will do it. Their track history says it won't happen though.
Ford and dodge duke it out and gm sits and watches. Sad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, TrailBoss1 said:

Due to various issues, including supply chain, there will be minimal changes for 2022 in the HD line. Maybe inclusion of the multi pro tailgate; not much else.

I've got the multi-pro on my '21 2500.