My (potential) headlight fix...

After poring through the various options for a headlight improvement, one thing became certain...I'm not going to tackle this myself!

So, I found an audio shop in Richmond who, interestingly, also specializes in lighting...specifically headlight modifications. The guy I spoke with sounded familiar with the GM problem during these years, and explained the fix they use: GTR Ultra 2 LED bulbs, $200 for a pair and $95 labor.

I don't mind the price, considering it my punishment for not doing it myself, but I'm wondering if this will give me a dramatic headlight improvement.

Has anybody tried this modification and, if so, are you happy with the results?

My experience - I was in the same boat as you (and many others) and originally went Hylux/Morimoto HID 5000K...along with Morimoto XB fogs. HIDs required cutting into/through the headlight housing "caps" and mount the ballasts...hindsight being 20/20, it was silly doing all that "customizing". The light pattern for the HIDs was great, brightness far better than the OEM garbage, but I eventually started experiencing "light out" issues on the passenger side (airbox). All was great/fine for about a year or so and then nothing but issues (1-3x week). In the end, I transitioned to SV4 LEDs (from Headlight Revolution). Although I inquired about the GTRs, HR suggested SV4s instead...I can't remember the exact reason(s) for such, but I'm happy with the purchase. Going into it, the biggest question I had was whether or not I needed anti-flicker modules with the SV4s...the response I got from HR was, "umm, maybe". I went forward without them and, I bet correctly...turns out I didn't need them...and that's a good thing. There's not a whole lot of space inside the projector housing and needing/using the anti-flickers would've meant having to keep the "caps" with holes cored through, mounting outside the housing, etc. With a simple adjustment to the bulb collar (they have to be positioned vertical when locked in), I was able to tuck everything into the housing and go back to full/complete caps (no holes).

At this point, been going over a year (I put roughly 20K miles/year) and with my headlights being DRLs as well, I've had no problems. Light output is as good, if not better than the HIDs, but more importantly to me, the SV4's color output is closer to the Morimoto XB LED fogs than the HIDs were.

A few things to make note of:

~ Make sure to position/align the LED bulbs properly within the housing, else you won't get the proper light pattern or maximum brightness

~ Be sure to re-aim the headlights...sounds crazy, but going from OEM to HID to LED, I had to re-aim the headlights each time. OEMs were aimed properly, but when I moved to HIDs, I had to lower them considerably. Moving to LED, I had to lower one and raise the other (very odd).

In the end, I'm (one of many) more than satisfied with the light output of anything not halogen on these rigs.  :0)

Good luck!

You’re paying someone almost $100 to plug in some bulbs?? Whoa.

What year and model truck do you have? Putting led bulbs in a reflector halogen housing will blind other drivers. The Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 are designed for halogen housings because you can tweak the bulb to reduce glare. A proper retrofit will have the best output, but it’s generally more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

You’re paying someone almost $100 to plug in some bulbs?? Whoa.

What year and model truck do you have? Putting led bulbs in a reflector halogen housing will blind other drivers. The Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 are designed for halogen housings because you can tweak the bulb to reduce glare. A proper retrofit will have the best output, but it’s generally more money.

Truck details are to the left of this sentence...

From what I've read, "blinding other drivers" only occurs when a headlight system is incorrectly modified.

That's another reason I'm hiring technician's with experience.

The shop labor charge includes some dismantling on the passenger's side, accurate re-alignment, and the lifetime warranty on the bulbs. Worth it, to me, but your MMV.

Edited by ajs67donzi

I DIY everything I can.  There is no lack on knowledge on the things I outsource those are mostly lack of specialized tools and a lift.  It is really not a hard job to replace the bulbs your self but I guess the Lifetime warranty and "if they break it they replace it" is a plus  

I've had the same problem.....all I want to do is upgrade the bulb from boring yellow orange to a more whiter blueish tint.  But I can't find anything for my ltz projector headlights.  Everything requires some extra BS or I read that people have problems after 6 months to a year with.  Just want the bulb to be whiter lol

I've had the same problem.....all I want to do is upgrade the bulb from boring yellow orange to a more whiter blueish tint.  But I can't find anything for my ltz projector headlights.  Everything requires some extra BS or I read that people have problems after 6 months to a year with.  Just want the bulb to be whiter lol

There’s a pinned thread about headlight mods. Check it out. Tons of useful info in there.

5 hours ago, cbrsilv15 said:

There’s a pinned thread about headlight mods. Check it out. Tons of useful info in there.

Thanks.....I have seen the thread....nothing that helps me with my projectors.....either I have to mod the housing or they don't last long or countless other complaints.....haven't heard any positives with anyone about the projector bulb

8 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Thanks.....I have seen the thread....nothing that helps me with my projectors.....either I have to mod the housing or they don't last long or countless other complaints.....haven't heard any positives with anyone about the projector bulb

If I'm not mistaken, the LED's require no mods? I've been checking multiple sites and they are simple install with just alignment of the bulb inside the projector and then cutoff height. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I put in the distantxtremes hylux balllast's and bulbs in my HID projectors and have had no issue's, I did have one problem that was own fault due to a loose ground, they are sold out but I have found the same ballast's and bulbs on ebay, it has to come from China so there is a wait but the quality is good and the price is slightly less than distant's price

ballast

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Hylux-50W-2A50-Canbus-Ballast-HID-Xenon-Kit-for-Headlight-Replacement-Bulb/113685340851?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

bulbs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Xenon-35W-D5S-5500K-HID-Headlight-Light-Bulbs-Replacement-Conversion-Kit-Lamp/254808203359?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b53c0a05f:g:70sAAOSwSA5eIY-d&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx%2B2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMUF1QgweGobKZtFkJ7jgaN9JkDdOjNSC5bwcHSX7aX7v5r3w6tee7URUxMl8d1BTr2MN3vJlhbvA09bDkxm8Btq7hvddQfeQ%2BuwP%2FXH08b03vevk9r4n6RvfRvxHnKBHv5xQey8h%2F6o%2BrdDmWvdX0ihssKwKPVIdefPJYEU4JD4lLLzkTCLCc55Rp8z%2B0m62EVDsZzThFApLEByMidGQiFGCO7uoyFwZyUzyqmOzroTDfGDFZ21qX3GwhWwdrLoUNRqvJYveHD4W7D%2B7wcRu7j8Y%2FS1MvO62Rm13ULwWu6ZZtz1LBMPL%2Bcfdi3LxLvh6jD1h3ywQRO5MP38Tz33y6J0vOf3AneSF6BRdhTR5dvGdoWtKCasce6GCOjmqBBzcRsZ92Vjx22ntSNO9Dkocd984zwHcDE%2BM0mwNj26GSJirYZbnww4NTVKQnwCzMj1Xgr%2B77as%2Br9pxf%2FTE5cV3AdVrbc4LhDduluwiye25atw4l3DLTUG5yE2XelJS94c9gmqKhc0nKXf3j1DFL3wfKVNHNmOTkXrOqBAGijc93KSK8TcfnVhorqvb3P4JZfjTeott9B5W%2FGexF%2FOGFONL7smpFaXCVJgAC7tq1fUEx1valmUvObjM4LQa%2BRYfQyOEP%2BHJ1ghRZR7s%2BLTR6VPWWc5DRFlfatMuwWG5ssDqk8BYzorz3KgAHHu%2B7OeURHKyfBcO9Bv0uM3v12%2BJ7tKY3kWAdWwbF7S4UqY9VPsPkDwZ8Togw8CLPXiut5Un92kdYA%3D%3D|cksum%3A25480820335942743dbdf46c4ed9bf9f290c8a4af4d1|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

then you just need a harness kit, I would get 2 of these and run separate relays one for each side, a little wiring experience is needed because this is just a generic kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Wire-Upgrade-H1-H3-H16-5202-D2R-D2/362001250571?epid=2129985236&hash=item5448f4b90b:g:WP0AAOSwGJlZKt11

the key is to use good quality ballast's and wiring, bulbs seem to hold up no matter what the brand but I would try to stay away from the cheapest ones out there regardless

• 4 weeks later...