Tailgate Seal

15 minutes ago, Gangly said:

I guess I've never had an issue with water getting in the bed of my truck through the tailgate and ruining anything.  I completely understand the worry though, I'm OCD about certain things as well. ?

Do you have a tonneau cover?  With mine off, I can drive gravel roads all day and there'd be a bit of dust in the bed and on whatever I had in there.  With the cover on, EVERYTHING in the bed is COVERED in dust.

I don't think this is about being OCD.  It's about how the bed sucks in air around the tailgate when you have a tonneau cover on.  

15 minutes ago, Gangly said:

I guess I've never had an issue with water getting in the bed of my truck through the tailgate and ruining anything.  I completely understand the worry though, I'm OCD about certain things as well. ?

Do you have a tonneau cover?  With mine off, I can drive gravel roads all day and there'd be a bit of dust in the bed and on whatever I had in there.  With the cover on, EVERYTHING in the bed is COVERED in dust.

I don't think this is about being OCD.  It's about how the bed sucks in air around the tailgate when you have a tonneau cover on.  

I have a soft topper that I keep on the bed and have very little dust intrusion and rarely do I find any moisture anywhere in the bed.  However, I know its not vacuum tight above the tailgate and that might be why I dont get dust and stuff sucked in from around the tail gate seams. Either way, its nice to know there are solutions to the apparent issue.

14 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

It's about how the bed sucks in air around the tailgate when you have a tonneau cover on.  

This. My tailgate gets dirty quick with the bed cover on and stays clean as the rest of the truck when it's off. The aerodynamics change so much with the cover that the vacuum behind the truck pulls in water/dirt/dust. It makes me wonder how the bed cover affects fuel mileage.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:43 AM, mjonesjr84 said:

How does it do with keeping dust and water out of the bed? It looks like it doesn't do anything for the vertical portions of the tailgate.

I had this put on my 2020 Trail Boss, took it off within the first month.  It doesn't seal anything when the tailgate is closed.  It is only useful in keeping mulch and such from falling into the tailgate crack.  It was still a pain to clean out so I decided to take it off.

You also can't have it installed and try and seal the tailgate while closed with any type of gasket because the two would interfere with each other.

I have bought the ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal from Amazon, but haven't installed yet.

These gaps on the tailgate are getting huge!!

25 minutes ago, Shaunmzs said:

I had this put on my 2020 Trail Boss, took it off within the first month.  It doesn't seal anything when the tailgate is closed.  It is only useful in keeping mulch and such from falling into the tailgate crack.  It was still a pain to clean out so I decided to take it off.

You also can't have it installed and try and seal the tailgate while closed with any type of gasket because the two would interfere with each other.

I have bought the ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal from Amazon, but haven't installed yet.

These gaps on the tailgate are getting huge!!

I got this one right before I made this post. I haven't gotten it installed yet either but probably will this weekend.

AmazonSmile: Lund 30002 Genesis Tailgate Seal: Automotive