Inventory and ordering lead times

Howdy all, So are you folks getting any kind of official forecasts for build dates? I have a 22' HD2500 lt on order since August. My gal tells me they will know when it's in when the truck rolls in the lot. Sure seems like paperwork, or projected del dates wouldn't be that tough. I'm told that my config is the monkey wrench - reg cab-8' box.

On the bright side, someone is going to get a great trade in, my 16' HD2500 with only 11,000 miles. 

I've also read GM is cutting the heated seat and steering wheel? maybe that's the problem. I can live without those. With a regular cab the heat can have you down to a thong in 15 minutes. I've heard some stupid wait times but mostly on 1500's. 

Thanks and grats to anyone who's bringing new ones home after months and months. 

How does this whole ordering process work.  The more I read the more I hear about people waiting and waiting.  The dealer I was at, told me they had a spot open in their order to place one more truck.  I went with a custom 2500, ordered first of November, build date given was 12/20.  Checked online and gave my order number in chat and they verified 12/20 was build date and told me to check by 12/24 at the earliest for the next update?  Are people being given build dates and then they delay them?  Are certain models being pumped out more than others, do certain dealers have more pull than others...just trying to figure this whole thing out.  Crazy world we live in right now, but interest me how crazy long some people have waited...hoping I don't become one of them.

5 hours ago, CFRED70 said:

How does this whole ordering process work.  The more I read the more I hear about people waiting and waiting.  The dealer I was at, told me they had a spot open in their order to place one more truck.  I went with a custom 2500, ordered first of November, build date given was 12/20.  Checked online and gave my order number in chat and they verified 12/20 was build date and told me to check by 12/24 at the earliest for the next update?  Are people being given build dates and then they delay them?  Are certain models being pumped out more than others, do certain dealers have more pull than others...just trying to figure this whole thing out.  Crazy world we live in right now, but interest me how crazy long some people have waited...hoping I don't become one of them.

1st Of Nov and you got a 12/20 build date? That's incredible. My neighbor ordered a High Country in May, he's had it 3 weeks. I was told, 3-6 months in August but it's my config that throws it off, reg cab long bed. Ext cab 6' bed, lot faster. Apparently they GM only gives so many build slots for particular configs to each dealer?

Lets just say, this whole thing with my dealer has been quite vague. I understand it though, I go through the same thing everyday with customers and learned, don't make promises.

1 hour ago, Cheekster96 said:

Truck ordered June of this year.  Build date was week of 11/15.  Truck is still parked at Flint.  

That's what I was afraid of....it will be built but can't be shipped.  I have seen a couple customs come into their lot but they're already spoken for.  Wondered if certain trim levels can be built and shipped over others...obviously the custom doesn't have heated seats, etc, that have chip shortage, so I wondered if they are starting to produce certain models that can actually be built and shipped.

27 minutes ago, CFRED70 said:

That's what I was afraid of....it will be built but can't be shipped.  I have seen a couple customs come into their lot but they're already spoken for.  Wondered if certain trim levels can be built and shipped over others...obviously the custom doesn't have heated seats, etc, that have chip shortage, so I wondered if they are starting to produce certain models that can actually be built and shipped.

Mine is the LT trim, Z71 Sports Edition...no heated seats.  I wanted them.  Expensive truck...should have them.  Not even sure if the steering wheel will be heated.  Getting frustrated...and tired...of waiting...and waiting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Posting an update. Still Waiting 🤬 Silverado HD 3500 Midnight Edition ordered in March 2021, Had to be bumped to a 2022. Went down the line and was a complete build finally November 10th 2021. Still sitting at Flint Mi Truck plant January 10th 2022. Now 2 months later after it was built I am waiting to be delivered to my Dealer 15 miles away. It is sitting in a parking lot covered in snow and ice.  No rebates available on some of most expensive vehicles Chevrolet has to offer. I am not impressed at this point and getting more frustrated by the day. General Motors really needs to get their act together and start taking care of their paying customers rather than building stockpiles of half built vehicles getting shuffled around to vacant lots using all the car carriers so a vehicle I put a deposit down on back in March of 2021 and have been waiting almost a year for can be in my garage.  Just my Rant but I think it makes logical sense that it should not take this long. 

I’ve only ordered one vehicle it was a specialty vehicle, still have it 22 years later. I always got better deals from inventory. After a year you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Already being frustrated from the wait. Can’t be anything but disappointments going forward.

37 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve only ordered one vehicle it was a specialty vehicle, still have it 22 years later. I always got better deals from inventory. After a year you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Already being frustrated from the wait. Can’t be anything but disappointments going forward.

Funny you mention this, I was just going through these post and thought the exact same thing.  When it doesn't come on time, you've automatically said "it better be perfect taking this long".   First problem that arises your negative thoughts get worse....I had no expectations when ordering, couldn't care less when it arrives, actually kind of nice knowing it's ordered and coming eventually, but will be more exciting when I get the call.  

• Like 1

My truck arrived at dealer yesterday, get to pick it up Wednesday.  Ordered first of November through dealers allocation, built week of 12/20, delivered to dealer 1/10.  Pretty excited to go pick it up tomorrow.  Sounds like talking to dealer so many little things are holding up these builds, cab lights, bed liners, heated seats etc.  Anyone looking to do a custom build, I'd go meet with a dealer and see what things they believe are holding up orders and you can decide if it's something you want to wait for.   I'd hate to order a truck and the only thing between me getting my truck and it just sitting being something like cab lights.   The only thing that I really cared about was the bed liner, dealer gave me a credit to local line-x and said that would be the fastest and easiest....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CFRED70 said:

My truck arrived at dealer yesterday, get to pick it up Wednesday.  Ordered first of November through dealers allocation, built week of 12/20, delivered to dealer 1/10.  Pretty excited to go pick it up tomorrow.  Sounds like talking to dealer so many little things are holding up these builds, cab lights, bed liners, heated seats etc.  Anyone looking to do a custom build, I'd go meet with a dealer and see what things they believe are holding up orders and you can decide if it's something you want to wait for.   I'd hate to order a truck and the only thing between me getting my truck and it just sitting being something like cab lights.   The only thing that I really cared about was the bed liner, dealer gave me a credit to local line-x and said that would be the fastest and easiest....

This advice worked for me.  :cheers:

Dealer called mid December and said he could place the order if I could live without the marker lamps option.  I said... "Yes, please order without Marker Lamps".

Glad I did, because now the bed side box option isn't available, and that would have me postponing the order indefinitely, and probably making a completely different decision.

• 3 weeks later...